Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DrG-is Bandage Contact is the right solution for me ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrG-is Bandage Contact is the right solution for me ?

I suffer from severe chronic MGD (almost no oil coming out)/ Blepharitis / and severe DES . I'm looking to find solutions that would allow me to work and live semi normal life-going out, meeting people, work with computer and so on.
    I should add that my eyes are extremely strained and all optometrist/ophthalmologists tell me that my 'real' glasses number is lower than my current prescription and that stress and strain deteriorate my vision and thus reflect in a higher number that what I really need without the strain.

Today, I saw a Developmental Optometrist /vision therapist, who suggested I use Bandage Contact Lenses, and he gave Oasys brand for a trial. After seeing many Ophthalmologists and Optometrists over the years, who to my humble opinion didn't really get my disease and how it should be treated. I'm kind of cautious in trying new things I don't understnad. I should add that many years ago, I use to wear contact lenses all the time, until it aggregated my DES to such an extent I couldn't read for a month, causing me a a severe infection. So you could can see where I'm going. Having said that, today my eyes are better and those lenses suppose to good to the eyes, aren't they ?

On the one hand I've been told, that bandage lesnes help DES, but on the other hand won't it demage my cornea and epithelium and aggreagate my DES, and of course I was wondering how would that work with my MGD and very low quantity of lipid oil.

Finally, I was kind of wandering if touching the eye with my fingers when wearing the contact lenes or taking it of could adverse my condition. And also, what cleaning solution would be most suitable for my case ?

As you could see I'm very much confused but desperate overcome this disease which limit my life (what life ? lol (-: just having some rought time but will be back to smile in a few weeks or less I hope -but always optimistic)

thank u in advance !

Hosados - as with the other thread I've moved it to a general forum where others can respond.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by HOSADOS View Post
      I suffer from severe chronic MGD (almost no oil coming out)/ Blepharitis / and severe DES . I'm looking to find solutions that would allow me to work and live semi normal life-going out, meeting people, work with computer and so on.
      I should add that my eyes are extremely strained and all optometrist/ophthalmologists tell me that my 'real' glasses number is lower than my current prescription and that stress and strain deteriorate my vision and thus reflect in a higher number that what I really need without the strain."
      Hi HOSADOS, thanks for posting (a lot).

There should be a distinction from ocular surface pain vs eye strain. Contacts can affect both and it is important to distinguish the two symptoms to help monitor the progress you are making. The VT OD is a great person to help with the eye strain issues. If they are really into VT, they might not really be into Dry Eye, just my personal experience, and I am sure there are many many exceptions. I just am unaware of them.

Today, I saw a Developmental Optometrist /vision therapist, who suggested I use Bandage Contact Lenses, and he gave Oasys brand for a trial. After seeing many Ophthalmologists and Optometrists over the years, who to my humble opinion didn't really get my disease and how it should be treated. I'm kind of cautious in trying new things I don't understnad. I should add that many years ago, I use to wear contact lenses all the time, until it aggregated my DES to such an extent I couldn't read for a month, causing me a a severe infection. So you could can see where I'm going. Having said that, today my eyes are better and those lenses suppose to good to the eyes, aren't they ?
      If I had even went with a contact, I personally would have went with a daily disposable. Either Moist or Proclear. I would make sure you are being followed closely. Contacts always carry the risk of damaging the ocular surface and disrupting normal ocular function. I am also concerned with just ******g the symptoms with that CL vs aiding in healing your eye. I am pleased to hear your eyes were better while wearing them, but careful observation is required. I am sure you have a follow up already scheduled for sometime in the next week or so?

On the one hand I've been told, that bandage lesnes help DES, but on the other hand won't it demage my cornea and epithelium and aggreagate my DES, and of course I was wondering how would that work with my MGD and very low quantity of lipid oil.
      The pre contact lens tear film is not a hot topic of study. It is also dependent of the condition of the surface of the contact itself, which can greatly very in the wearer. Dr. Holly might have some excellent comments to offer. It would be nice to get some TBUTs with your CL's on, but no one is doing this (I will be).

Finally, I was kind of wandering if touching the eye with my fingers when wearing the contact lenes or taking it of could adverse my condition. And also, what cleaning solution would be most suitable for my case ?
      Yes. Insertion and removal of the CLs can be a source of added irritation. Even with clean hands, the mechanical process can cause an inflammatory response. Keeping your contacts clean is crucial. Honestly, no solution is the best solution. If you are wearing the Oasys, one might try a Rub/Rinse/Soak routine with Clear Care. One might also further benefit from a pre-insertion rinse with saline solution (aerosol spray can, to prevent contamination) Your docs should be going over this stuff with you!

Keep us posted!

Comment

my Schrimer test is ZERO in both eyes !!!

thank you for all your kind words...

Today I took another Schrimer test and the result were 0 in both eyes.

In fact, this was my third Schrimer test, all done by different Ophthalmologists, and resulted with 0 in both eyes.

TBUT -last time I took was 3, but it the past was moving between 2 to 0.

in the last two checks the Opthalmologists I saw didn't take a TBUT test, but they did expressed my MG and said there is hardly oil coming out, meaning I have very little lipid oil secration....

I would post my conclusion on SCL in a new thread.

you seems like a great, thorough and caring professional, I wish I was living in your area....since, we're missing good pro and missing pro who actually care. and we're missing pro with good and healthy common sense.

This is the reason, I am forced to do all the research and thinking myself to mask the truth and improve my health ! and avoid wasting my little money I have left with all the treatments and drugs, while I am unalbe to work due to this condition.

I feel that if something could help me it would be Scleral, so I'm shifting my focus to this area, but the high cost kind of scare and make this alternative no more than a fantasy, or a wishful thinking. Having said that, I'm currently looking into this matter.

Comment

Working...
        X