This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contact lens

Does anyone here know how much a pair of contact lenses cost? I know it may depend on the prescription. Mine is -9.00, and -9.50.

Right now I am wearing glasses. I am have severe dry eyes when working on computer. I have a moisture chamber glasses, but it does not work for me when working on computer. So what I am thinking is maybe PanOptx works better for me. But since I had such a high prescription, I will have to wear the contact lenses first, and then wear the PanOptx(PanOptx has no prescription or only made for low prescription). I want to give a shot to see if it works for me.

Thanks,

I have the exact same problem...not being able to fit a prescription into moisture chambers.

I use to wear RGPs, and they cost about $350 w/o insurance. But I had really good vision insurance, and my contacts were completely covered since my prescription was so high. Contacts average about couple to several hundred dollars.

However, I don't recommend getting contacts w/ dry eyes, unless you are under the care of a really good optometrist. Generally, contacts will make dry eyes worse, but there are a couple people who actually feel better with them on... you will have to do some trial and error as to which contacts you tolerate more. But in most DE patients, contacts are not a good idea. Are you a candidate for sclerals?

Another alternative is to try and get prescription into MEGs or get custom moisture chambers made.

Comment

Originally posted by odydnas View Post
      I have the exact same problem...not being able to fit a prescription into moisture chambers.

I use to wear RGPs, and they cost about $350 w/o insurance. But I had really good vision insurance, and my contacts were completely covered since my prescription was so high. Contacts average about couple to several hundred dollars.

However, I don't recommend getting contacts w/ dry eyes, unless you are under the care of a really good optometrist. Generally, contacts will make dry eyes worse, but there are a couple people who actually feel better with them on... you will have to do some trial and error as to which contacts you tolerate more. But in most DE patients, contacts are not a good idea. Are you a candidate for sclerals?

Another alternative is to try and get prescription into MEGs or get custom moisture chambers made.
      Is MEG available now? Has anyone actually used MEG glasses? Last time I checked, it was still not available.

I have a pair of moisture chamber glasses. But it is not that useful for me. It easily gets fogged, plus it does not give me a lot relief believe it or not.(I dont know if it is because it is not sealed perfectly on the left glass).

I dont know if I am a candidate for sclerals or not. All I know is it is really expensive, and my insurance may not cover it. I hesitate trying something expensive without even knowing if it works or not.

Comment

MEGs are available, but I havent had any luck trying to figure out if my prescription will fit in it. The lady i've corresponded with hasn't been very responsive. She was supposed to ask the MEGs optometrist if it was doable...but she never got back to me, after several times. Maybe you will have better luck.

As for sclerals, I think BFS does a good job of dealing with insurance for you. The thing with DE is that you never know what will or won't work for you w/o trying it first. It works for some people, not for others. You can have an idea as to whether or not it might work, but you really can't predict it w/o trying.

Comment

Working...
        X