This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerataconus

I went and got sclerals at the Boston Foundation and have been semi pleased overall. My vision can only be corrected so much b/c my right eye is pretty advanced with kerataconus.

I went to numerous doctors for years and all advised against anything surgical. Easy for the to say, huh? Well, I'm sick of putting in contacts that irritate my eyes and leave them both bloodshot, even with all the treatments offered here and from other sources.

My question is, does anyone know why the Vision Clinics in London appear to have great success with treatments for kerataconus that Dr.s in the US appear to shy away from? I've gone from Boston, to Houston to Dallas and all said to not go this direction but I just met someone that I trust very well who had a worse case of kerataconus than I do and she had a life changing surgery that included these things: http://www.londonvisionclinic.com/qu...-treatments#18

""
    Q. What are the options for keratoconus treatment?
    Cross-linking is a non-surgical treatment for keratoconus that strengthens the cornea by increasing the strength of the natural 'molecular anchors' within corneal tissue. In normal eyes, it is these anchors that give the cornea strength and prevent it becoming cone-like.

It can be combined with Intacs® to flatten the keratoconus cone even further. Intacs® are clear inserts that reshape the natural cornea to correct vision following keratoconus, Intacs® are placed below the surface of the cornea and so cannot be felt or seen. Made from a material used safely in contact lenses and cataract surgery for over 50 years, they are exchangeable and removable.

The Cross-linking treatment stabilises the keratoconic condition and helps the Intacs® reverse any distortion that has already occurred.

Q. What is Cross-linking?
    Cross-linking is a proven, non-invasive procedure that strengthens the weak corneal structure in keratoconus. This method works by increasing collagen Cross-linking, which are the natural "anchors" within the cornea. These anchors are responsible for preventing the cornea from bulging out and becoming steep and irregular (which is the cause of keratoconus).

The treatment involves custom-made riboflavin eye drops which are applied to the cornea, these eye drops are then activated by a special light. Laboratory and clinical studies demonstrate that this procedure increases the amount of collagen Cross-linking in the cornea and strengthens the cornea. In published European studies, researchers proved the safety and effectiveness of such treatments in patients.

The collagen Cross-linking with riboflavin has its roots in dermatology. Doctors looking for a way to strengthen sagging skin realised that triggering collagen Cross-linking was the way to achieve this. Eye physicians in Germany who performed initial studies took the process one step further. They reported results of treatments done as long ago as 1998, so there is a good record of accomplishment for this procedure.

Cross-linking treatments can also be combined with Intacs® to flatten the keratoconus cone even more than with Intacs® alone. In these cases, Cross-linking treatments stabilise keratoconus from getting worse as well as help the Intacs® reverse the keratoconus steepening that had already occurred up to the time of the treatment. Cross-linking is also showing promise in stabilising patients after radial keratotomy (RK).

Q. What are Intacs®?
    Intacs® prescription inserts are indicated for use in the correction of nearsightedness and astigmatism for patients with keratoconus, where contact lenses and glasses are no longer suitable.

If you are found suitable for the Intacs® procedure, the steps are:

Anaesthetic drops numb the eye, which an instrument holds open throughout the procedure to prevent blinking.

A surgeon makes a single, small incision in the surface of the cornea.
    The eye is prepared for Intacs® placement. To stabilize your eye and ensure proper alignment of the Intacs® inserts, the guide is placed on the surface of your eye. During this time, inner layers of the cornea are gently separated in a narrow circular area to allow for Intacs® placement.

The Intacs® inserts are gently placed. After the second Intacs® insert is placed, the small opening in the cornea is closed.

The procedure is completed. The placement of Intacs® inserts remodels and reinforces your cornea, eliminating some or all of the irregularities caused by keratoconus in order to provide you with improved vision.

Follow-up visits will be required to monitor the healing process and evaluate the visual benefits of the procedure. Even after a successful procedure, glasses or contacts still may be required to provide you with good vision.
    ""

Can/will someone offer me some advice or life experiences with this situation I've been in for years?

Hi there,

This forum is limited to dry eye discussion - we do not have information here about keratoconus treatments including crosslinking & intacs. I would suggest trying the keratoconus forums if you haven't already.

Here's one (click in lower right when you get there to register for their forum) - KC Support

Another forum: KC Freedom

Hope this helps.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X