This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fornix reconstruction

I had this done on my left eye, the worst one. It helped immensely and I am having the other eye done soon. It's a sinmple and quick surgical procedure. I am also using lacrisert which I like. It takes getting used to and isn't the easiest to insert. Dr. Brimhall in Las Vegas is willing to do what it takes to get me better and I'm all for that!

Fornix Reconstruction

What exactly is that procedure? Thanks.

Comment

It's done for a condition called conjuntivochalasis. I have that in both eyes and it isn't known if the dry eye causes it or the opposite. The procedure took 20 minutes and there was no down time. I am having the other eye done next week. The following explains it better than I can.
      Symptoms range from dry eye, epiphora, and irritation, to localized pain, foreign body sensation, subconjunctival hemorrhage, and ulceration. Symptoms are often made worse by vigorous blinking. [conjunctivochalasis is thought to be caused by both a gradual thinning and stretching of the conjunctiva that accompanies age and a loss of adhesion between the conjunctiva and underlying sclera. The resulting loose, excess conjunctiva may mechanically irritate the eye and disrupt the tear film and its outflow, leading to dry eye and excess tearing. A correlation may also exist between inflammation in the eye and conjunctivochalasis; though it is unclear conjunctivochalasis can be asymptomatic and in such cases does not require treatment. Because the disorder often occurs in patients with typical dry eye symptoms, it can be difficult to readily distinguish discomfort caused by the dry eye from that directly related to the redundant conjunctiva. If discomfort persists after standard dry eye treatment and anti-inflammatory therapy, surgery can be undertaken to remove the conjunctival folds and restore a smooth tear film. This conjunctivoplasty surgery to correct conjunctivochalasis typically involves resection of an elipse-shaped segment of conjunctiva just inferior to the lower lid margin, and is usually followed either by suturing or amniotic membrane graft transplantation to close the wound.

Comment

Working...
      X