This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partially sewing eyelids shut

Has anyone had this done on them? When I'm looking down (reading a book, chopping food, playing cards, etc.), my eyes feel good, but when I'm looking up (using a computer, driving, etc.), my eyes dry out because too much of my eye ball is exposed. I was reading about this surgery where they partially sew your eyes shut to address this problem, and it sounds like a good option. Does anyone know anything about this procedure?

I've known a couple of people who had it done. One had it reversed and is now wearing sclerals instead.

Tarsorrhaphy is an end-of-the-line treatment when all other options have been exhausted. I don't know for sure but I would think that most surgeons would consider it only when there is evidence of advanced corneal surface disease that is potentially sight-threatening.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Well I haven't mentioned this before on this forum, but I have undergone a bilateral "permanent" lateral tarsorrhaphy to deal with exposure.

I have naturally large eyes and for me it was one of the first considerations - I have to say that in my case it was an obvious feature of my eyes. Its been 7 months since I had the op (on the UK NHS) and for me it made SOME difference. The operation itself was fairly simple and recovery from it was quick (a few weeks). I think it has helped subsequent treatment - before the op, my lower eyelids were too low (especially on the sides) and so a large surface area was prone dryness. The low position of my eyelids was also a reason why I slept with my eyes partially open, and that was a secondary reason to do the op.

In many cases, cosmetically, it may not be the best choice, a lot depends of the natural shape of the eyes in the first place - but I also have long eyelashes so the signs of surgery are quite well hidden. From an appearance point of view I am happy with the results therefore never considered getting it "reversed".

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will keep all of this in mind.

Comment

HI all: I also have had the outer corners of both eyes closed by "tarsorrophy"I had sclera show with extreme irritation. My doctor did an alloderm implant which helped elevate the lower eyelid, but not enough. He then did the outer eye closure which helped tremendously. My eyes were big to begin with, so the size difference is not a negative for me. It did improve my eye irritation a lot. I still need drops "Dwella seems to do wonders for me, and some ointment at night. But all in all, I have to say it was definitely a positive. I like the way my eyes look better than before. Maybe, they were just too big with too much exposure. So, sometimes, a tarsorrophy can be a poAnyway, I am happy with it and would not get it undone. Take caresitive for the right person.I am just talking a couple of millimeters of closure.

Comment

What is an "alloderm implant"?

Comment

Hi NP1981: An alloderm is also referred to as a spacer. That or the mucosal graft have a similar effect. It is implanted in the back of the lower eyelid thru a small incision on the corner of the eye. It helps push the lower eyelid upwards so that there is less eye exposure. For example, if you have sclera show, that procedure would be helpful. It does not show under the skin. It is a very thin sheet of material that stiffens the lower eyelid like ironing a shirt. Hope this helps explain,

Comment

Working...
              X