This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eyelid surgery vs. just continuing with regimen

With my current mix of restasis, anti-inflammatory eyedrops, doxyclyclin, 2X daily compresses & scrubs, Omega-3, diet, vitamins, etc. don't appear to be making much of a difference in my eye condition. I have a mix of non-flakey blepharitis and MGD.

If I use steroidal anti-inflammatory eye-drops 3 - 4 times a day, my eyes look and feel pretty good. Not perfect, but good enough. But I'm wary of side effects from long-term use of predizone, Zylet, etc. Right now the current anti-inflammatory experiment is Acular (non-steroidal) 3X a day.

My opthamologist, someone I like and mostly trust, suggested at my last appt. that I visit with a surgeon to explore the feasibility of tightening my lower eyelids to create more pressure thus theoretically producing more steady secreations from the MGs. Apparently, over the years, my lower lids have become looser than normal - I assume because of my condition and my constant routines and meds.

Has anyone else looked into/tried this? If so, what was the result?

I feel like I'm on a pretty good routine right now, but only recently added Omega-3 fish oil and a good multi-vitamin. I've been on restasis for 5 months. My thought process kind of goes like this:

~ one the one hand, it took me years of bad habits and ignoring my problems to get my eyes so screwed up. Maybe it will take years of good habits and the right drugs to really begin to improve my condition.

~ if surgery like this is generally successful with few risks, maybe I should go for it.

Thanks for any thoughts you have.

is there any surgery like this to tighten your lower lid?

i have quite a few lids problems as well: lateral bilateral lower lid ectropion and marked epicanthic folds. lagophthalmos.

but my doctor said there is little she could do apart from massaging my lower lids up
    I believe I can fly!

Comment

That's interesting. I've never heard of that as a concept (putting more pressure on the MGs). Hm.

Is it a form of blepharoplasty? That makes me nervous. I'd have to say about 1/3 of the people who call the Dry Eye Shop about getting Tranquileyes goggles do so because of uncontrolled dry eye resulting from incomplete lid closure after blepharoplasty.

I think this would be a good question to pose to Dr. Latkany.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
      X