This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long term?

I had Lasek on 7/10/08 and since then I have had severe dry eye. I woke up to my bottom left plug missing, I can already feel the difference. Lately the plugs have helped immensely however, my comfort is far from good. I am also trying to deal with the possibility that this will be a long term ordeal. According to my Dr. this will be a long term/lifetime problem (DES) for me. The past four months have already seemed like a lifetime, I would like to not be aware of my eye comfort for one day! Anyway some questions:

This is my 3rd lost plug, should I consider cautery?

My Dr. said that they will "release" me after my next visit and see me at 6 mos post, but I can come in if I have a problem . What does that mean?!

If my prognosis is a "lifetime" then I want to be treated there for a lifetime. I do believe that they knew that I would likely have this problem but they went ahead.

Jen,

How nice. I assume the doctor you mention is your surgeon? So he tells you this is a lifetime problem and...good luck dealing with it?

Of course, he is a step above the other surgeons I've dealt with/read about. At least he admits you have a problem!

As for the plugs/cautery question, I think it's too soon for cautery. It's only been 4 months since your surgery. There is still plenty of time for your eyes to heal and improve. Perhaps others have a different opinion? Or can give you some suggestions as to what kind of plug to try that will stay put?

I wish I could help more....
    Teri

Comment

I would wait on the cautery. My doctor says he likes to do one year with plugs first and see how that goes. If they work well AND if you cannot keep them in then he said cautery is the way to go. I have been fortunate in that I have now had my 3 for 6 months and have not lost one. My doctor agreed to push them down deeper than usual and I have had a very good result.

Comment

Jen,
        I would look at a couple things before cautery. First look into the 3 month Extended Duration plugs or the OASIS Form Fit Intracanalicular plugs.

Comment

Jen,

Indrep knows his stuff, and I know nothing of plugs.

I am cauterized in all four punctae, but did not do this until I was into my second year post-LASIK. I agree also to wait on cautery. While it was the correct move for me, it still has its issues. Best to wait on it. You really do have some room for healing.

My plugs vs cautery story is here in case you want to take a look. There are plenty of other tidbits of info in the "plugs" archive.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=115

I dislike you doctor. But then again, I would have disliked him just by title.

Diana
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Waiting sounds like the best thing to do for plugs vs. cautery, fingers crossed I wont need them in a year. Presently without them I start a cycle of inflamation and dry spots, I dont really feel them anymore so its tolerable. I showed signs of blepharitis last week, I stopped lid scrubs because I think that is how I lost the plugs in the past. Freshkote may have contributed too, its very gummy. My plugs are visible and it seems like with any agitation they are out. Maybe a different type rather than something permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by dianat View Post
              Jen,

My plugs vs cautery story is here in case you want to take a look. There are plenty of other tidbits of info in the "plugs" archive.

Diana
              Diana- Do you have over tearing now with the cautery?

Comment

I surely do. I blot several times an hour...probably every few minutes. Some days are worse than others. During a more comfortable eye day, I find myself blotting less and my tears are less salty and more comfortable. On a bad day, I blot a whole lot more, my tears are salty and uncomfortable. Clearly whether I have fluid or not, I still have a quality issue with my tear film issue.

While I still think I'm better this way than with plugs or nothing, I know I look quirky blotting all day long. I also cannot wear any makeup whatsoever...even for a short while. It washes away immediately. I generally look washed out as though I've been crying
                Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
                X