Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eyes in the UK

Hello,

I've just told my story on the "Introduce Yourself" section & thought I place it here too.

This is my first post, so I'll tell you my sob-story.

I have suffered with what was 1st diagnosed as severe dry eyes 10 years ago. It was explained to me that the average moisture content eyes contain is 10% & anything less than 4% was classed as dry eyes. When tested, my left eye held less than 1% of moisture & my right eye was not much better. I've tried every product on & off prescription over the years & eventually I was recommended to have Smart Plugs fitted. The problem did not improve much & so more plugs were fitted into the top tear ducts. I'd had many eye infections over the years, but after the Smart Plugs were fitted, I got one infection after the other & seemed to be on a never ending course of 3-months of oral antibiotic, plus antibiotic drops & steroid drops. Plus, the problem of my dry eyes was reversed & my eyes were constantly streaming buckets of tears & a horrible yellow discharge from the tear duct.

I decided to get a 2nd opinion. I went to a consultant in London who told me I did not have dry eyes, that in my case, the condition had been transient & that I had a condition called Inflammatory Eye Disease usually associated with some type of inflammatory illness. But I've not found any information on Inflammatory Eye Disease. I have been tested for arthritis etc & nothing showed on the test. However, up until I was in my mid 20's I suffered with severe eczema, until it was found that this was a milk allergy. I stopped drinking milk & my eczema disappeared, never to return again. I was also told that I should never have been fitted with plugs & certainly not on the bottom & the top! I was told that eyes need to breath & plugging top & bottom was not recommended. The Smart Plugs were not at fault, it was the decision to use them in my case that was the problem.

One plug was removed from my right eye, using pressure externally with a cotton bud, but the Smart Plug is stuck in scare tissue in my left eye & I'm left with a different problem with each eye, which is so uncomfortable. One eye is dry & irritated & the other eye is streaming constantly & I get dermatitis around the lid as it's constantly wet. It's the wet eye that get more infected & gets a dark shadow under it & sometimes the area around the eye feels cold & numb.

My eyes are now so sore that I no longer drive much as they stream & it's so distracting it is dangerous to drive & I feel like I've walked into a dust storm & the rim of my eye lids have little white hard lumps that won't go away.

I read some posts on the use of Castor Oil & wondered what the down side is of its use ?

Wallaby
Working...
X