Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving Hope to Others

To all those who feel hopeless,

I have not been on this site for a while. It's probably been over a year. I was told I had dry eye over two years ago in 2007. I was also told there was no cure. The first thing that went through my mind is, "you mean how I feel right now, I will always feel..." How do you not instantly feel depressed. You have a little hope when you are told to try these drops, wear this, stay in these conditions, do these massages, and you may experience a degree of relief.

But you get that feeling that you are just managing a new way of living. Just coping. For those of you who may look back at my previous comments, yes I was told I have allergies. But I never had allergies before, and I had no other symptom. So please do not think to yourself that this counts you out because you don't have allergies.

I started looking at dry eye as a symptom, than as a disease that I somehow caught. I started thinking that my body is trying to tell me something. Somehow it was hurting for something that I wasn't given it. I just didn't know what that was. I self-diagnosed myself with candida. I am not saying that I had that. I still don't know. I figured what would I lose to cut out unnecessary sugars. Well I did lose. About 30 pounds. I also started feeling better over a course of about a year. I also along the way learned about raw foods, and tried to incorporate in my diet more fresh fruits and vegetables. I have really only heard good things about this diet. Yes, it is extreme, but if it can cure cancer, fibromyalgia, arthritis, diabetes...I figured it can cure less life threatening issues.

Just so you won't feel overwhelmed by the idea of such an extreme diet, I really felt better by cutting out sugars, fried foods, bad fats, processed foods, starches, etc. It was just through this process that I learned about how much of a vital role diet has on your well-being and how people have transformed their lives through diet. I also learned about the impact that attitude/emotions and exercise has on your health.

Looking back at my life before the pain of dry eye, I cannot honestly said that I thought about my health. I functioned fine before it and people would have described me as healthy, but my body was starting to break down, and the trigger was eye pain during a period of high stress that was diagnosed as dry eye.

So I wrote all this to say, please do not give up. I was so depressed when I got dry eye that at 32 I thought that I did not want to continue my life like this. It is hard to say that anything bad can result in something good. Dry eye told me that I needed to pay myself more attention. If traditional medicine is not giving you the result you desire, try looking at your overall health and be honest with yourself.

Also, a note for individuals who are having a bad reaction to lasik or similar. I did not have this condition, but I have learned that the body has an ability to heal if it is given the right tools and that cells of every part of the body die and regenerate every day. The quality of cells that regenerate is based on what we feed our bodies. I have heard some amazing stories of a lady whose cornea regenerated after a chemical burn in her eye and was losing her vision. They cured themselves through diet. There may be something to this. Never give up hope. We have amazing bodies.

Hi! I have started a wellness program much like you are describing.I think as you that an answer is in our nutrition and fitness.I have improved some and am wondering how you are with your eyes now. I am also on supplements for replenishing oils and inflammation.Did you try supplements?Thanks for sharing your story.

Comment

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I love hearing about people making such a fantastic lifestyle change - giving the body more of the right fuel and less of the stuff that cumulatively promotes disease is so empowering.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

i love to read this type of thing.

i gt my eyes under control with a raw food diet and lots of jiucing, though I have to admit I have been under terrible pressure the last few months and because of neglecting myself my eye is back in pain.

ButIwill get back to looking after myself real soon!

b.

Comment

Thanks!! Just what I needed to hear today when I was becoming particularly down. Thank you to all who posted their successes. By the way, any luck with alternatives such as herbal supplements?

MylittleM

Originally posted by bernmee View Post
          i love to read this type of thing.

i gt my eyes under control with a raw food diet and lots of jiucing, though I have to admit I have been under terrible pressure the last few months and because of neglecting myself my eye is back in pain.

ButIwill get back to looking after myself real soon!

b.

Comment

Supplements

Sorry to those of you that commented on my post for my delinquency in responding. To think I used to be on this website everyday if not three or four times a day just looking for something to give me hope.

I tried alot of things and visited traditional and alternative doctors before I determined what helped me the most. At the time I felt like I saw the greatest improvement, I had changed my diet, and incorporated supplements such as omega 3, a multi-vitamin, also an additional supplementation that had A C and E (because a multi-vitamin may not have enough of this), and worked hard on being positive. Just saying to myself that I was on my way to getting better. ( I did alot of reading on health to keep my hopes up).

I was also taking digestive enzymes and probiotics because I was looking at my whole well-being.

It took time, I would say about a year and a 1/2 to feel completely better (no longer thinking about my eyes) from the onset of the eye pain. I started looking at diet about 9 months into dry eye.

Comment

Working...
            X