X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ms. Brightside

Hello Everyone

It has been a long time since I posted but after a long journey, one that will continue way past this point, I feel comfortable in writing in this triumph section. It is a bit ironic, if that is the right term, that this board was setup after a lenghty conversation I had with Rebecca, about never thinking recovery/improvement was possible. She created this section so people like me would know that their is a brightside. Now I am ready to post here

There are a lot of "new faces" on the board but some familiar names who will remember me. For those who don't I joined the board in summer 2007 after experiencing onset of sudden severe dry eye. In the coming weeks I was determined to have a non-specific autoimmune condition. Almost 3 yrs later no definitive name has been slapped on it but I am comfortable in saying Sjogrens as I have the trademark dry eyes and dry mouth which developed shortly after the eyes. I also suffer from joint pain and other associated symptoms (Raynauds) but nothing matches the severity of the eyes/mouth.

To say the sudden onset of my symptoms through me for a loop would be the understatement of the year. I was completely devasted by what was happening to me and totally buckled under from the stress and pain.

They say that grieving involves several steps; denial, anger, acceptance, etc. Well I went through all of them mutiple times in no specific order. Anger probably was the worst of them. I was a very angry person for a long time. I was angry at my parents for "giving me" this disease. I was angry at the doctors who couldn't figure out what was happening or how to treat me. I was angry at God for letting this happen to me. I was angry at my sister for getting engaged and then married and having a life. I was angry at my friends for going on with their lives and leaving me behind. I was angry at the people on the board who were telling me it was going to be alright. Basically I was angry at every person and everything in this life. However the person I was most angry at was myself. I blamed myself for not seeing the warning signs, for not stopping this from happening.

As an extreme type A person people who knew me best couldn't understand why/how I was reacting to this so badly. I had always been so strong and had managed through many difficult situations before. Why was this time the thing that sent me off the edge? All I can answer is that chronic pain is a weird creature and imagining your life always with it can be an overwhelming thought. People need hope and when you remove hope from the picture even the strongest person on earth can come to a crippling hault.

Between summer 07 and fall 07 the pain and stress became so debilitating I ceased to live life the way I had known it. I tried to work but was in so much pain from the constant computer use I would spend literally hours in the basement floor located ladies room curled up in a ball crying. I also decided to give up my apartment in NYC and move back with my parents.

At night when I closed my eyes I could literally feel my eyelids burning. I would go to sleep with cold icepacks on my eyes. I would get up multiple times to get a new cold pack as the one I was using became room temperature. Eventually I couldn't even fall asleep anymore because the stress, nerves were overtaking me. I eventually became reliant on sleeping pills.

My parents perhaps felt even more helpless than I did not knowing what to say. They took me to every doctor imaginable in NY, Boston, etc. All the MD's said the same thing they didn't understand why I was in so much pain and perhaps the best thing is to get your daughter mental help. In hindsight the later was good advice but at the time it wasn't the response I was looking for.

I tried every treatment out there for dry eye in record time. It takes most people yrs of dry eye before they consider sclerals. I was at the Boston Foundation for Sight less than 6 months after the initial onset. I was inpatient and desperate. Neither makes for a good combination.

By winter 07 I had given up completely. I won't elaborate on my specific actions but I was hospitalized against my will.

I was eventually released but continued to struggle. I was a shell of myself and existed but didn't live. Even at my sister's wedding where I forced myself to smile it was apparent that I wasn't really there. I had gained weight and let the rest of my appearance go as well. Prior to "becoming sick" I treated myself like a true princess so it was once again an indicator that all was not well in Kim's world.

I did make a half hearted attempt in 2008 to re-enter the "world". I took too big of steps and it failed beyond comprehension and once again I was hospitalized.

The toll on my mother was incomprehensible. My father ofcourse was effected but not to be biased I think many men express their concerns differently. While I had packed on the pounds my mom had lost over 50 pounds- not trying to. She would also burst into tears at work.

After my last hospitalization she told me that her greatest fear in life was losing me to this. My parents therefore took a line of credit on their home and sent me all the way to Arizona to go to an extensive month long program for pain management/depression.

I was skeptical but basically didnt care either way. The brochure had described it basically as a resort so I figured I would get one more vacation in. I know horrible to think that way but I like to be honest in my posts.

Well I can't say a miracle happened and I left 30 days later and said I was cured because that would be a lie. I have "Sjogrens" and I will most likely always have Sjogrens but the fire in me that had been blown out ignited again. I can't pinpoint the reason and probably never will but all I can say when you hit rock bottom you have two options stay there and never get out or decide that you yourself are going to change your life. I know I am being so over the top and cheesy, but heck that's me.

When I left the center I took tiny steps as opposed to big ones which I think was my prior mistake.

I know this a long long post so I was flash forward to present.

For the last 9 months I have worked and lived in NYC again. I took a job with a company, first an entry level easy position to test my eyes, then got promoted, and then promoted again. I am a manager now. I have told my new friends at work about my dryness and it stuns most of them. I am super concentrated at my job that no one thinks of me of having any type of disability. I also have let go most of my anger so I don't exude unhappiness/sadness anymore.

My eyes/mouth are still dry as a bone but I have developed strategies to live and work with them. I have trained myself not to stare which I didn't even realize I was training myself not to do but apparently I had. I keep beverages beside me at all times which in this day and age is not uncommon for people to do. While I am open to new treatment I have given up my crazy hunt for an instant cure. The frezziness of my life has toned down and I am living in the present.

I also have lost weight, took control of my hair back from the frizz, and started wearing my pretty little work dresses again. I haven't ventured out into the world of dating but I wasn't really fully into that world before summer 07 anyhows. I have always been shy in that arena.

I am very proud of myself these days for all that I have accomplished. I don't blame myself anymore for anything. All though I am not proud of being hospitalized, etc I am not ashamed either. Everyone has to take their own road. I am just happy I found my way back to the one I had set out for myself long before any Sjogrens developed in my body.

Although I don't post often I do read the board and I always feel especially for the young girls/guys who are faced with this condition. Although this is not the easiest lot in life it is doable. Although most people dont think much of dry eye the good ones out their do recognize courage, determination, and perserverance. Thats what dry eye to me represents now.

I have dry eye, I didn't choose this, but I do choose how I survive with it.

My well wishes are with everyone and I appreciate all the support I have gotten through this board and its members.

I want to give a special "shout out" to my good friend Odydnas who has been my angel. You have been a better friend to me, even though we have never met, than those who I have known for years. Congratulations on getting into grad school and like you always pushed me to be better I will push you into accepting and following through with the offers.

Thanks again to everybody and thank you Rebecca.
    Love always,
    Kimberly
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Congratulations! You have been through a LOT. Amazing story. If that's not an inspiring triumph, I don't know what is.

Comment

Beautiful.
      just keep swimming...

Comment

Kimberly, what a fabulous, FABULOUS post. Thank you so much. I'm happy most of all for YOU, but also happy for the community here. It means so much to me to see stories like this in print here. You'll never know who may be helped by it.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Kim,

I remember when you were have an extremely Hard time. I am amazed at how much you have grown from this experience. I've been on this board for a very long time. Since 2005. I just created a new account in 2007. I am currently 22 years old. I had MGD since 17..I know it is a very hard condition to have, perhaps more dificult than many other conditions...I hope to see you more on this forum.

Rhad

Comment

touching post and story, i believe a lot of readers with dry eyes will think the same
            we are proud of you.

Comment

What an amazing and inspiring story. You're such a strong person and have really come a long way. And thanks for the shout out...I honestly don't know how I could have coped all this time without your support, wisdom, and friendship, as well as the wonderful community here at DEZ.

Comment

As a person that has had a near "end of life experience" myself I am filled with joy at your post. You are a very beautiful person both inside and out. Congratulations.

PS-And go out there and date!! If I was not a worn out 50 yr old guy with the meanest wife alive I would ask you out myself!

Comment

Bravo!!!!

Hi Kim,

As a fellow SS patient, I completely understand what you went through and how much courage it took to bring you to where you are now.

It has been 3 years since my SS started and I have also found a way to live with it. I am at a good place now in my life and I am very thankful.
                  Please don't ever lose hope because you are such a beautiful person and you truly deserve to live life to its fullest.

You are always in my prayers,

Chris

Comment

hi all, its been more than 6 months since i made this post and wanted to give an update. I also want to apologize for not being one on one as i would like. part of recovery for me is knowing and accepting that it may be too soon for me to provide the adequate support. however, i hope that my updates will provide encouragement that recovery in all senses is possible. to update, i currently live and work full time in nyc. since my last post i upgraded jobs and living spaces. i also admittingly joined one of those internet dating sites, blush, and got out there. to me being social and reclaiming my womanhood was critical in acceoting and moving forward with sjogrens. facing my fears that i wouldnt be accepted held me back but once i forced myself i realized fear is really all it was. plus the stress of dating, will he call?, is almost equal to the stress of dry eye! i am just kidding ofcourse but it just demonstrates that despite my continued dryness i spend most of my time concentrating on other matters including frivilous ones because surely everyone needs a break. i am all and all so much happy person than i was three years ago and i can even dare to say before than as well. hate to sound like a guru and i think i am probably coming off as one, but for those who remember me when i first joined can attest that i have turned it around. it is amazing what the human body and spirit can adjust to and prosper with. for me it took over 2 yrs to reclaim myself but dont be pressured, but i have learned to never give up

Comment

Oh Kim, I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes (good thing ) and a big smile. How wonderful to hear what your life is like now. It's inspiring, really. I am so very glad for you. Thank you for coming back and letting us know how you are. You are sweet and beautiful inside and out.

Lynda

Comment

Hey everyone: Its been quite a while since my last post and I am still doing quite well with my dry eyes. I still have the dryness but I manage very well with my daily life. Having dry eyes has in turn helped me become a very strong person-it took a while but I got there. Unfortunately in late winter of this year, my Sjogrens destroyed much of my normal hearing. I had struggled with mild hearing loss since my college days but it tanked this spring. Turns out my hearing loss was related to Sjogrens as well. Fortunately my experiences with my eyes gave me the strength to carry on and find reasonable solutions to my hearing woes. I also was able not to stumble on the pitfalls of vanity and got myself fitted for hearing aids stat. Although not perfect I am hearing much better with hearing aids these days. Similiar to my eye problems my hearing is not ideal but I won't let it stop me from living a normal and productive life. For me thriving alongside my health issues is my total recovery

Kim

Comment

Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated. Your strength is amazing.

Comment

Thanks for the updates, Kim. I'm happy for you!

--Liz

Comment

Sorry to hear about the new hearing problem, Kim. Thanks for the update - it's always great to hear from you!
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X