anti biotics got me feeling normal by accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anti biotics got me feeling normal by accident

I have been suffering for 3 years now..tried everything. Got the inflamation down with honey, oil glands worked but still experiencing dry eye. Started 2 percent cyclosporine, helped with gunk in the morning. Seeing a little improvement....but not much. Started oral doxy and metrogel for a surprising bout of facial rosacea this last week. Never had it before..I started thinking maybe I have occular rosacea.

I went in for some minor surgery and was given a 4 day supply of anti biotic. They told me to stop oral doxy for these few day on the antibiotic. On the third day...my eyes felt really good. The fourth day wow...they feel normal. I hadnt had to put eye drops nor moisture goggles on for two whole days! I even felt so good that I wore full face make up to go out and there was very lilttle irriatation to speak of! That was a first in a few years.

So this morning I have been trying to figure out why....why now? Just with a an anti biotic? So does this mean my dry eye is caused by rosacea? Or could it be those weird skin mites i have been reading about? And if this got me feeling this good, does this mean I dont have sjorgrens?....this isnt from menopause..nor thyroid? and all the other assortment of things that I thought might be causing this dry eye?

I go back on my doxy today...I dont know whether this is short lived or not...You cant be on a strong antibiotic forever...unfortunately but why did it work? and so quickly? My eyes feel good today...for how long ? I dont know but they feel the best they have in 3 years and they look good too!

I just wanted to share this with anyone that might be experiencing dry eye but no one knows why....and I need someone to tell me why a strong antibiotic reieived everything in three days? Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi Regina,

What is the name and dosage of the antibiotic they had you on for four days?

Comment

what type ?

They had me on cipro 500 mg twice daily for 5 days...

Comment

still feelig great

I am now taking my doxy and I am about 80 percent normal now... Obviously my issues are occular rosacea even though no doctor ever confirmed it. I hope taking doxy will heal my eyes enough to get back to my normal self...but I as other people worry about taking an anti biotic forever...or do you end up being on it forever? I still have red veiny eyes ut no pain at work but at home I feel normal.

I wear my googles the whole day at work, so why do they get so red? They are almost chaurtresse color by the time I leave. maybe the computer use? I dont feel pain, they just look bad!

So...hopefully my healing will continue. So for those of you who dont have faciial rosacea , lasik, or anyother issues just dry eye that happened on its own, look into occular rosacea. I guess you dont need facial rosacea to get occular...so look into treatment...doxy and see if it helps you also!

Comment

Hi Regina,

I've been on doxy for about an year now with good results. I take 100mg/daily. Every time I try to stop it the burning comes back. My doctor told me that I need to continue and he also assured me that it won't be forever.
          I am wondering what brand and dosage of doxy you take...

All best !!

George

Comment

Interesting...

that you were taking Cipro and had such good rseults. I was on Cipro drops for the past week because of an eye infection and my eyes never looked better! The inflammation I normall have was gone. I wonder if long-term antibiotic drops are ever prescribed for ocular rosacea/dry eyes? I know that Azasite is being prescribed more often like this but any others? Any risks od using them consistently?
            Last edited by alisonW; 12-May-2010, 09:32. Reason: to add more..

Comment

You know...lol

I dont know why...but I tried azazite and other drops from my doc...and pretty much all of them irritate my eyes in the long run.

I am taking 100 mg doxycycline 2 times a day...with that name for the drug george....

Cipro definitely worked better than doxy does, but its a lot stronger anti biotic and you couldnt stay on that like doxyciline. So i guess doxy it is!

Comment

on doxy for 5 years

with no problem. It was the only relief.
                Just had 4 lacrimal stones removed in a 20 minute procedure!
                Improvement and no doxi
                No you don't necessarily have ocular rosacea
                My symptoms: sticky discharge, tearing, pain, halos

Comment

Originally posted by Lids18 View Post
                  with no problem. It was the only relief.
                  Just had 4 lacrimal stones removed in a 20 minute procedure!
                  Improvement and no doxi
                  No you don't necessarily have ocular rosacea
                  My symptoms: sticky discharge, tearing, pain, halos
                  Wow! Were the stones in the actual lacrimal gland or in the tear drainage ducts?

Comment

Originally posted by regina View Post
                    They had me on cipro 500 mg twice daily for 5 days...
                    I googled cipro and dry eye and it looks like there are a number of people posting on the net about how they got bad dry eyes after starting ciprofloxacin.

Comment

I took some antibiotics once (amoxicillin I think it's called) for a non-eye related issue. I woke up thinking I was completely cured! My eyes were white, no pain, completely normal. Unfortunately the problem came right back again.

I've tried the doxy too and it didn't appear to help at all.

Comment

Mabe Propolis?

I wonder if Propolis could help.
                        It is also supposed to be antibiotic.
                        I myself bought some, and I will try for a week, to see if it helps.

Comment

After one night felt better, but then it returned, so probably a coincidense.
                          Last edited by jivgil; 06-Oct-2010, 21:33. Reason: Feel bad again

Comment

Originally posted by regina View Post
                            I have been suffering for 3 years now..tried everything. Got the inflamation down with honey, oil glands worked but still experiencing dry eye. Started 2 percent cyclosporine, helped with gunk in the morning. Seeing a little improvement....but not much. Started oral doxy and metrogel for a surprising bout of facial rosacea this last week. Never had it before..I started thinking maybe I have occular rosacea.

I went in for some minor surgery and was given a 4 day supply of anti biotic. They told me to stop oral doxy for these few day on the antibiotic. On the third day...my eyes felt really good. The fourth day wow...they feel normal. I hadnt had to put eye drops nor moisture goggles on for two whole days! I even felt so good that I wore full face make up to go out and there was very lilttle irriatation to speak of! That was a first in a few years.

So this morning I have been trying to figure out why....why now? Just with a an anti biotic? So does this mean my dry eye is caused by rosacea? Or could it be those weird skin mites i have been reading about? And if this got me feeling this good, does this mean I dont have sjorgrens?....this isnt from menopause..nor thyroid? and all the other assortment of things that I thought might be causing this dry eye?

I go back on my doxy today...I dont know whether this is short lived or not...You cant be on a strong antibiotic forever...unfortunately but why did it work? and so quickly? My eyes feel good today...for how long ? I dont know but they feel the best they have in 3 years and they look good too!

I just wanted to share this with anyone that might be experiencing dry eye but no one knows why....and I need someone to tell me why a strong antibiotic reieived everything in three days? Has anyone else experienced this?
                            Regina
                            The "doxy" you are speaking of, is it doxycycline? If so, I had a similar experience when my ENT doctor put me on it because of a throat problem. I had the same reaction, but a week or so after I stopped taking the antibiotic my eyes retured to their former Sjogren's condition. Pls let me know if it was doxycycline.
                            Thanks
                            Ginny

Comment

Working...
                            X