Success with honey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success with honey

After about a week with honey, I feel much better!
    Today I went to the doctor. At first she told me not to put honey, because it can contaminate.
    Then she said my eyes look great, and are not dry, and she will not put new plugs.
    I think I will use the honey a little more, just to make sure,
    this situation continues

After a remark of SPMCC (thanks!) I started a week ago with honey.
    I put raw honey on the margin of the eylids, rubbing it so it is on both side of the eyelashes. and inside the eye.
    I stings at first, and tears come, which probably is a good thing, because they clean the eye.
    I sometimes actually felt how immediatly it worked, and removed feeling of itchiness, in the eyelids and foreign body in the eyes.
    I put a few time in the day and also in the night.
    I was surprised to wake up with wet eyes.
    I also tried to mix it with water, but it didnt feel right in the eyes,and also it is not easy to keep sterile. The raw honey felt just right. I think in experiments mabe they mix with water, because it is more convenient and controllable for the doctors to ask the patients to put drops in their eyes.
    My eyes feel soft and flexible.
    I hope never to feel again like this.

It seems that two horrible years have come to an end.
    I will tell my background.
    I did PRK 12 years ago.
    2 years ago I realised, that my cornea has been distorted due to the surgury, and the quality of my sight was poor. It made my eyes strain, and they were very painfull. I also had small astigmatism.
    I did PRK again. I developed severe dry eyes. This has not been treated by the doctor, which told me to put just 6 drops of lubricant a day. After 3 months my sight in one eye was bad, and I had very dry eyes. I was told to put drops every hour, and that improved the situation. My astigmatism, was nearly what it was before the operation - 1 and 1.25 but the quality of my sight improved, but I had still very dry eyes.
    For the last 2 years I had terrible time. hardly managing to cope passing from a minute to minute. waking up in the night from the dryness.
    A month ago I had temporary plugs, which improved a bit the situation.
    I tried to wash my eyes with black tea and even with urine, and it didnt feel right.
    This time has tought me about the importance of health and the moment.
    I have been in deep depression. I was crying asking mercy from god. Mabe god thought I could learn something from this disease.
    This moved and opened somthing in me.
    Also surprisinglly, I found out that suddenly my voice and singing became more soft and flexible, just like my eyes. Amazing and mystical!

This is the best gift I can recieve for my religious wedding in 2 days. (I did already the civil).
    It is a shame this operation went this way, and the nelecency of the doctors, but the important thing, is I can live normally again.
    It realy happend so quickly. I hope it doesnt happen again if I stop the honey.
    I am so thankfull for this site which helped me so much.
    With only
    doctors, I dont think I would ever have found a cure.
    Last edited by jivgil; 09-Aug-2010, 13:49.

Hello

Your story is very hopeful and as I have read other posts on success with honey,I am amazed the medical community hasn't discovered this.

I am using Manuka honey on my face for rosacea but have been very hesitant to use the honey on my lids because of the contamination aspect.

Thanks for sharing . Sandy

Comment

Jivgil... awesome news that honey has helped you so much!

Sandra Lee... Just curious, but when you apply it to your face, how are you using it exactly?

Due to the stickiness, do you just apply it as a mask of sorts? ie. put it on for 5 minutes or so then rinse??

Comment

Hi

First of all,I have been washing my face weth raw honey(from my local area)for about a year,and have shown no allergic reactions to it as yet.

I normally wet my face and smooth(lightly)the honey on my face with my fingers leaving it on for 15-20 minutes,then rinsing with cool water.

Sometimes I leave it on certain areas overnight and yes,it is somewhat messy at times but my derm is fine with me using it.

Some people ,however,can react badly to the honey.

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the added info!

Comment

Still healing

I was too quick to think that its over.
            It is much better, but when I wake up from sleep, I still have foreign body sensation.
            I will keep on with the treatment and see if it improves.
            By the way, when I started with the hoeny in the night, my eyes produced a gray material. Now it is less, so I was thinking that mabe they were cleaning.
            Though,the stickines of the honey is a bit disturbing in the day.

Comment

jivgil, thanks for sharing!

What brand of raw honey are you using?

Also, if whoever reading this has both manuka (or raw) honey, plus litmus paper, Would you mind testing the manuka/or/raw honey to verify its PH, both diluted, and undiluted in water?

The more people here that test these honey's via litmus paper, the more of a median statistic we'd have.

I know the online sites state that honey is very acidic.
              But as I posted elsewhere:
              I'd tested store-bought honey (NOT raw), and its PH via my litmus paper was neutral, as compared to vinegar, which was approx. 5-6.

Does anyone else here show the same results with litmus paper vis-a-vis store-honey (vs. raw honey)?

Cuz I'm thinking that the less acidic the honey is, the less it may trigger reactions such as cysts and inflammation.

Different brands may have varying levels of acidity.
              I might be nervous about those with high UMF levels, since those might also be more acidic, thus overstimulating an already hyper immune system such as mine.

Does anyone know whether UMF levels of manuka are correlated to their acidity levels?
              CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic

Comment

Local brand

I use a local brand, which states wild flowers.
                I dont know about the acidity. But mabe it stings because of the acidity.
                Most of the honey is being washed away by the tears.
                Anyway, in my eyes it feels fine, after the first stinging.
                If I put just water in the eyes for example, it doesnt feel good, so mabe
                it means that for me it is fine. But for others it might not be good.
                I know that I am also allergic.
                But the way I felt, I was willing to try everything.
                Mabe you may try it just for a few days, and hopefully and reaction will be gradual, so you could stop it.

By the way, I stopped putting artificial tears.
                I feel just fine during the day.
                I put honey every few hours.
                It was great I had my marriage today without disturbance.
                If my night problem doesnt improve, I might start using the Manuka honey.

Comment

Aside from my blue Qs above, I'm also wondering how pure Hyaluronic Acid might compare to pure honey.

Here's an excerpt from googling:

Hyaluronic acid consists of disaccharide chains made from modifications of the monosaccharide glucose. One possible mechanism in scar prevention is that glucose in honey or derived from sugar may be converted into hyaluronic acid at the wound surface, forming an extracellular matrix that promotes wound healing. (109) Fetal wounds heal without scar formation and the extracellular matrix of fetal wounds is rich with hyaluronic acid and lacks excessive collagen. (109) The glucose in honey or derived from sugar may facilitate a balance between hyaluronic acid and collagen, similar to that found in fetal wounds.

sigpic

Comment

Aloe vera

I saw that poeple used aloe activator drops for dry eyes.
                    I think of trying it.
                    My eyes are continuing to get better. But I still have dry eyes, not like what the doctor told me.
                    I am not sure if to try the aloe vera, because I see the honey still improves the situation. I am not sure how the mix will be.
                    But mabe I will give it a try.

Comment

At this point I've been considering Kaiman swim goggles as moisture chambers,
                      ...and maybe humidifier (which? ultrasonic? other?),
                      ...and Hyaluronic Acid, which is supposed to rock (see post #9 above).

thing is, there's confusingly contradictory info. re: whether high molecular or low molecular weight hyaluronate is more absorbent.
                      (Baxyl, Injuv & Biocell Collagen II quote independent studies.

Baxyl is high molecular weight
                      the others (caps. or tablets) are low molecular weight.
                      Also eggshell membrane supplements are low molecular weight.

sigpic

Comment

Further healing

A month and half into the honey experiment.
                        Situation is improving so far.
                        I had though some dry days and especially nights over this time, full of panic and depression.
                        I tried Aloevera from the garden, but it seems to irritate the eye.
                        In the nights a kind of pus - yellow gray stuff is coming out of my eys, and I think this is the way of the eyes to clean themselves.
                        What seems to help also, is rest during the day. To reduece computer time, so that the eyes have rest.
                        Also I have noticed relation between my emotional state. When I am negative the situation worsens, and when I am positive, it is better.
                        I am woriking in releasing this negativity and thinking positively.
                        Prayer also doesnt harm.
                        The doctor offered me permanent plugs, 2 weeks ago, but I refused and asked for anti allergic -optilast drops.
                        I am waiting for the Manuka honey still.

Comment

I use thick organic castor oil, and couldn't live without it. I have been using it for two years. I rub in eye sockets to keep skin from drying out all around eye. Then I put a little on lips. I have very sensitive skin on my face too and I never seem to get any sort of bad reaction or breakout as I do with many lotions or other oils. It is very surprising to me.

Comment

Quick question do most of you put honey on and under the lid of your eyes correct?

I googled it and it says to put honey in the eye.

So at this point i'm not sure how to apply it. I haven't tried it, but at this point I am almost willing to try anything.

Comment

In the eye

The important thing for me, is that it enters the eye.
                              I put it inside the eye.
                              In the begining I also applied it on the edge of the lids, just to make sure, that if there is any contamination there, it will help, but I dont think I had problem in the lids.
                              I tried 4 local brands. Eucaliptus, seemed useless.
                              The 3 others were from wild flowers. One was good but it stinged too much. Mabe too acidic.
                              The 2 others were good. of which one is in a convenient bottle, which releases a little, when you press on it, and therefore probably more higene.
                              I wash my hands. And apply the honey.
                              Probably you may also rub hands with alcohol and waits till it dries, before applying ( but not sanitizer gel, which might irritate the eye).
                              Also possible to apply with a disposable stick - the type the doctors use to press the tongue.
                              Then I close my eyes for 2 minutes.
                              Best effect I find, is before sleep.
                              Also I found, that if I apply lubricants a few minutes before, it is less harsh on the eyes.
                              Also I think it was much more effective when I had plugs, and I put before sleep because it stays more in the eye.
                              Actually at first a lot of yellow secretion came out of my eyes. and it was scary.
                              It continued untill lately I started to use steroides.
                              For me honey actually saved me.
                              From the impression I get it seems to me that with dry eyes what works for one doesnt work for another, and you might have to try things, to see if it works.
                              No doctor can do it for you, though it is good to have a good doctor.

Good luck!
                              Last edited by jivgil; 20-Sep-2010, 18:39. Reason: Correction

Comment

Working...
                              X