forward progress, not triumph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forward progress, not triumph

When I think back to my decision to choose Lasik I feel foolish......a friend had raved about it.....and I told my husband. He said if you want it I'll pay for it......like it was a gift.

After the surgery (2002) and many visits back to the surgeon because my eyes always hurt, the surgeon says " I can't see anything wrong, I don't know what to do for you, I can give you the name of my colleague in North Jersey.

Went to doc#2 who actually said 'oh my' after putting green dye in my eyes to see dryness. Saw doc#3 who suggested diet changes, expressions, Restasis and refrigerating my drops.

After eyes went from bad to worse, husband dragged my to 4th doc in another state. Called doc#3 to cancel appt. Receptionist asked me if I felt better (was that why I was cancelling?) No, eyes felt awful...Need to try another doc.

4th doc was great. She didn't know what to try but she was willing to try everything. I think she picked up on my desperation.

Let's face it, docs are the ones who can write scripts. I felt like I was one page in front of her, due to reading all the posts here...but she was interested in making me comfortable. Its tough for the docs because they perform Lasik for a living and here you are saying that their "medical contribution" hurt you. Of course they are defensive, docs promise to first 'do no harm'.....

She shared with me another doctor's theory about Lasik patients and suicide.
    Her colleague felt that these patients must be depressed first and looked to Lasik surgery to feel better and therefore more prone to suicide. Yeah, that's it... I'm depressed, let me go spend 5K, get my eyes surgically enhanced....that will make me feel better. But again, docs naturally are going to defend their profession.....how else would they make a living? They're not going to go back to med school and learn how to sculpt noses.

What has worked for me? Doxy (oral) everyday, Tears Again Hydrate 4/day, eat right (doc#3 was onto something there), no drops at all, much sleep, antidepressant (yup), much time and caring doc made all the difference!

Anyway recent visit and yellow dye to see dryness and none to speak of... feel much better, vision is fine, sanity has returned...

Doc asked me what did I think worked best. Her assistant (?) said I was the only happy patient that day...otherwise, all complaints....all day..... (shame)

Before doc#4 I was seriously looking to escape the pain...... and all that that statement implies......

so my progress is considerable.....comfortable most days..... I know it can change in a flash.....its been over 8 years... this is the first summer I've smiled.

Thanks for letting me share.
    "Happiness is finally getting the splinter out"sigpic

Wow!

Thanks so much for posting this!

It's great to hear that you finally found such improvement after waiting so long for it!

Comment

Thats great news! Do you attribute much of the improvement to the Hydrate? How long before you noticed an improvement? I am looking into trying it. thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X