Things that have helped me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that have helped me

I am not a doctor, plus I am a newbie to this website. But I searched high and low for information to help out my dry eye. I rejoiced when I located this website!!!!! I have been ONLY dealing with this for 6 weeks since eye surgery at the end of October and I thought I was going to lose my mind! So how many of you have hung in there for years - well it is beyond what my brain can understand... Hugs go out to all of you!

But these are some things I have done to help me - maybe all this is listed elsewhere on dry eye talk... But sometimes it helps to remind us all about old fashioned methods.

Buy some sweet almond oil at a health store - not cheap and the bottle is not the biggest but a little goes a long way.

Before you go to bed, take a cotton ball, put some sweet almond oil on the cotton ball and apply it on your lids and under your eyes. The oil will not harm your eyes because it is a natural product.

Also the main ingredient of Restasis, it is old fashioned castor oil. I have used castor oil on my lid and under my eyes too.

I sometimes get 3 to 4 hours of sleep and I will wake up with stabbing pains in my eyes.(right one more than left) But I have tried some natural products, such as: melatonin, valerian, (I warn you - this stuff stinks like dirty socks!),
    passionflower, scullcap, St. John's Wort will help to relax the body and so will Kava Kava. Drinking chamomile tea before bedtime is also relaxing. After you drink the tea, put the warm used tea bags on your eyes too.

Taking Evening Primrose oil and flaxseed oil has helped me too.

TAKE CARE everyone!
    Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 10-Dec-2010, 21:26. Reason: Moved from an unrelated thread in the "Find a doctor who will..." forum

It's great to hear that you've found some things that are helping you!

Originally posted by djeanwithdryeyes View Post
    The oil will not harm your eyes because it is a natural product.
    Just had to disagree with this statement as it was written though... (maybe you didn't quite mean this the way it sounds??) The fact that the almond oil is natural is not the thing that makes it safe or not. I'd hate for anyone to try some other totally different "natural" yet potentially harmful product on their eyes and assume it's safe simply because it's "natural". Obviously there are lots of natural products out there that are wonderfully useful for various conditions.. but there are also lots of natural products out there that can be harmful etc. And of course, the same would apply to man-made products too!

Comment

Hello, this is DJean again. Sweet almond oil is used to take off eye makeup.
      I have used it and had good luck for me.

Everyone be good to yourself and TAKE CARE!

Comment

Working...
      X