Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasting Improvement

All,

I have been a bit scarce on this board, and for good reason. I have definitely improved and I can live with my new normal.

How do I know this? A doctor recently gave me some Xibrom, and it brought me right back to last year's horrors when I was extremely low. My right eye began aching and had pain in it, and it made me realize just how far I've come.

Here is what I am doing in the case that it might help someone else. Please keep in mind that I am not a doctor, more like my own "patient advocate":

1) Dry eye cocktail: Every morning, I have a glass of grapefruit juice with the following - 2 tablespoons of Carlson's Very Finest Fish Oil, 2 drops of mycellized vitamin A @ 5,000 IUs, 1 vitamin D3 tablet @ 5,000 IUs, 1 Carlson's E-Gems vitamin E capsule, and 1 multivitamin.

2) I am a vegetarian so I automatically am eating a lot of fruit & veggies every day. Diet is key. I rarely eat sweets and you will never see me putting a diet soda to my lips. I drink green tea every morning. Remember that you truly are what you eat.

3) Genteal Gel at night + a sleep mask. In the beginning, I didn't think Genteal Gel was working for me but I was so freaked out at that time, I don't think anything would have helped. If you're waking up with dry eyes though, you need night protection, and that's the bottom line.

4) Mental stability: This is a biggie. I had to forgive myself for choosing to do LASIK, and I had to stop GOOGLING incessantly and worrying about the future. The chances of me developing corneal ectasia, of the dry eye getting incapacitating, or of the need for a corneal transplant arising are very slim and it was doing me ZERO GOOD to worry about it day in and day out. If you are an "internet researcher" like myself, STOP.

My internet researching became an addiction in a way. This really did a mental number on me and I got to the point where I was consumed. I couldn't even sleep at night. Now, after giving up on the "addiction," I am sleeping like a rock without the help of any medications. I had to lean on medications for a time to straighten the mental ship out, so I also want to let people know that is FINE to do if you need the extra help.

Several of you gave me your stories, your tips, and your support. These emails were invaluable. Some of the most important words of wisdom I have heard are:

After every low there is another high (HOPE).
    Worrying about the future hinders, it does not help (WISDOM).
    My new reality is a mostly good, sometimes irritating reality, but I can live with this (ACCEPTANCE).
    Give up the guilt (FORGIVENESS).

Take care of yourselves out there,
    Rose
    Last edited by Sammy B.; 14-Jan-2011, 08:45.

I am so glad to hear that your eyes are finally stable---great post. I can especially relate to the part about "addiction" to internet searching (for info and answers). I have a couple of non dry-eye health issues, and have been wasting way too much time online.

I like your routine---it is very similar to what I do every day. And though it might seem like a hassle to people who have no eye problems, it's worth the time, because it works!

Calli

Comment

HI,
      Thank you for your post, I'm not there yet but hope to be someday. Your comments about searching the web and fixating on whether or not I am going to develop these other dreaded proplems had killed me also, even though every Dr. I talk to has told me that it should never occur in my case. The night routine is the same as mine, the drops etc but I am not a vegan, I do however juice a bit and it seems to help when I do it. I am still holding out hope for some help with a sclera lens as well do to my astigmatisms since the dreaded L surgery. Good to hear this, regards,
      Brad

Comment

Great news Rose! So glad to hear you're doing well!

Comment

Awesome post.

Originally posted by Sammy B. View Post
          I have definitely improved and I can live with my new normal.
          Yeah!

4) If you are an "internet researcher" like myself, STOP.
          Great advice. The internet is a blessing and a curse for the medical info-seeker. We need information - but only some of it. Too much harms rather than helps. Figuring out on our own when to stop seeking more information, input and opinions and simply stick with the status quo can be key to recovery. I think a lot of us just latched onto the bulletin boards etc as a distraction during the seemingly interminable wait for improvement in our eyes. I think it was like that for me in my first years of vision problems after LASIK.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

I rarely get on the dry eye sight anymore, but was so glad that it was here for me in the beginning. I had lasik 5 years ago and had a really bad first year. I too improved. I just ordered the rice baggy today. I still have flareups now and then, and am really sick of the washcloth. I too had major guilt going for a long time and could still kick myself. I try not to get too crazy over the internet as I know that sometimes it is way TOO MUCH INFORMATIN! But I love this site because it makes you know that you are not alone in this process. It also gives hope to people to know that there will be way better days. I'm glad that you are doing well, but I know that it is like anything else we have to take care everyday. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Working...
            X