Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No sugar/No alcohol diet has improved blepharitis & MGD immensely in only 2 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another good gluten-free pasta is Tinkyada Rice Pasta.

I did gluten-free for a while but wasn't desperate enough to make it work, particularly since I wasn't convinced the naturopath's test was anything less than hokey.

A bit down the road, I went to an allergist and was tested for the major allergens. Interestingly, I tested fine for most foods except tree nuts (almonds in particular) & dairy (specifically casein), which was exactly the opposite of what the naturopath found. My new naturopath told me to put more credence in the scratch test over the VEGA test.

At any rate, I went off dairy and tree-nuts for 8 weeks as suggested by the allergist. He was very clear that food allergies are difficult to diagnose and that elimination is really the only sure-fire way to know if you are allergic to something. Apparently eating something can trigger an skin reaction so just because you react doesn't mean you really are allergic. You need about 3 days to clear your system of the offending food so the 8 weeks is to allow your body to heal inflammation, etc that could be causing your problems.

If you are eliminating casein, any animal dairy is off limits. A lot of people think that goat's milk does not contain casein but every animal (including human) milk contains casein. I *think* different animal milks contain different levels of casein but they ALL contain it. Another thing to note is that a lot of "non-dairy" items (some cheeses, for instance) have casein added in. Same with some vitamins so you have to be really careful about reading labels if you're serious about eliminating dairy.

I found it took about 2 weeks to get the hang of the terms, etc and avoid accidental consumption (dealing with clueless restaurant staff doesn't help -- no, sir, flour does not contain dairy). My allergist said even with those accidents, at 8 weeks I could be sure but I went an extra 2 for my own security. I needed to know without a doubt that dairy and nuts weren't causing my eye problems so it was worth going 10 weeks. Dairy-free & nut-free were a lot easier for me than going gluten-free. There are some really good books out there for all of it though and if you are just testing yourself for 8-12 weeks, the public library offers a wealth of information.

Unfortunately, dairy-free & nut-free didn't change any of my symptoms. One tip (if you aren't going sugar-free too), when you go out to eat, carry some dark chocolate squares in case your partner decides to have dessert-- this way you get dessert too. Just be sure to read the ingredients before you buy. Cocoa butter is fine because it's not a dairy product but a lot of dark chocolates contain various forms of milkfat. Oh, and coconut milk makes a GREAT substitute in a lot of recipes. i made my chocolate chip bread with coconut milk and liked it so much that I'm going to continue making it that way.

p.s. beware of margarine too -- most of it contains dairy, even the ones made with olive oil. Earth's Best is vegan if you don't feel like reading the labels.
    Last edited by PotatoCakes; 03-May-2011, 18:32. Reason: correction of typo

Comment

Potatocakes, I noticed your eyes did not change after avoiding casein and tree nuts but did you notice a change in energy, digestion, or anything else after avoiding these products that you are supposedly allergic to?

Comment

No, I didn't. I did lose some weight (which I didn't need to) but I think that's common if you remove any food group, particularly one that's in a lot of foods. Overall, I eat a really healthy diet but eliminating casein forced me to remove the few treats I indulge in at all. If you have digestion issues, I would say it's definitely worth a try since that's a common symptom of a food allergy.

The allergist told me that the only reason he was testing me was as a favor because I exhibit none of the typical food allergy symptoms. He basically took pity on me because I told him that I had seen 10+ doctors and needed to leave no stone unturned; it probably didn't hurt that I broke down into tears in front of him. I had some hope that casein / nuts might be the cause of my eye issues (maybe the inflammation?) simply because my scratch test results were severe enough that they really surprised the doctor but they were "false positives" to use a term I'm not fond of.

I need to call him as a follow-up. He asked me to just to let him know if there was any improvement (or not).

This is a great website for anyone that is planning to eliminate dairy: http://www.godairyfree.org/
        Also, Trader Joe's carries dairy-free chocolate chips and a lot of other dairy-free chocolate products (they contain soy instead of dairy).

Comment

A naturopath tested me for ~100 food allergies using a blood sample. How many can they do if they use a scratch test?

For my test, I had to begin with a "food challenge". I was given a *huge* list of foods that I had to eat during the 2 weeks prior to the blood draw. Strangely, my results showed that one thing I was allergic to was beef which I haven't eaten since 1982 (and obviously did not eat during the food challenge). I questioned that finding but didn't really receive an adequate answer.

Comment

I'm not sure how many they can do with a scratch test since the allergist only tested me for the big ones (wheat, various fish since it's prevalent in Pacific NWer's diets, soy, etc). He did test me for a gazillion pollens -- double lines down my right arm, and unfortunately for me, I was allergic to pretty much all of them. I can't say that I'm surprised as I've always had really bad hay fever. Interestingly, I did not test allergic to dust mites or mold -- little consolation given my reactions to the pollens. I didn't let him test me for grass because I was tested as a kid and my reaction was so bad the physician was worried about me going into shock. When the allergist saw my reactions to the the other pollens, he thanked me for not letting him do the grass.

The test my former naturopath did for me isn't a blood test. It's more like some sort of "energy" test. http://www.energetic-medicine.net/vega.html but if you Google, you'll also find it listed here: http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...s/electro.html
            My current naturopath relies a lot more on blood tests and consults with traditional physicians a fair amount so I'm guessing if she were to test me, she'd do a blood test but since I already had the scratch test, she uses those results and since I had no change when I eliminated them, even those don't make a difference for me.

Comment

Working...
            X