Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castor Oil

Hello Fellow Sufferers,
    Like you, my suffering has many symptoms but the common ingredient is discomfort/pain and and an interuption to my day. I feel for all of us. And over the past two years I've tried almost everything Rebecca has to offer, unfortunately without much success. That is, until I started using Castor Oil; pure, cold pressed, organic Castor Oil. Who knew? You see, my pain happens at night, usually as morning approaches. My observation of my condition lead me to believe that I had a lack of Lipid Oil and that symptom lead my eye lids to stick together or an eye lid to stick to my eye ball - both very painful. So my question was : "if oil isn't getting to my eyes, why not add oil myself?" Seemed logical. So to the web I went. While there are some personal stories online about its use, there is no medical evidence. So with courage and I must admit a bit of fear, I decided to try it out. The oil comes in a normal container so the first thing I had to do was use an old eye drop bottle from my vast and varied collection , drill out the hole to make it bit bigger to accomodate the oil and then I was ready. I keep the bottle of oil in the fridge but before bed time I take it out so that it warms up a bit - feels better and helps the oil drop easier. I pour a large amount on the eye, swish it around, do the other eye, while keeping both eyes open, then I close both eyes. It feels wierd at first - as you can probably imagine. But it also feels smooth and silky. I can usually get through the night but occasionally I need to re-fill. Regardless, no more pain; no more discomfort; and the next day isn't hampered either. It's really quite amazing for something so simple and so cheap ($7 CDN for a 4 oz. bottle). I've been using it for 2 months now and I've had my eyes checked twice - once by an Optometrist and once by and Othamalogist - both reported seeing no negatice effects from the oil. In fact, my eyes are in great shape. I'm certainly not recommending this for everyone but it works for me and it really has helped my nights. I go to bed knowing that I will sleep through the night - how comforting is that? May we all find relief. Stewart

That is awesome you found relief from this! I've personally have heard good things about it too.
    May I ask you where you got yours?? I've been trying to find a more natural approach to treating my condition. (especially lids that hurt!) but I dont know where to find castor oil. Would I be able to get it online maybe from amazon??

Comment

Hi. I got mine from the health food store. Here's what is says on the bottle: The Palma Christi, Castor Oil, Hexane Free and Certified, Pure Cold Pressed Top Quality Oil. Heritage Products, Virginia Beach, VA, 1-800-862-2923. I hope that helps.

Comment

I can't believe you have found something so simple, safe, economical, and IT WORKS! Just one drop in each eye at night, put on the goggles and I wake up without eyelids sticking. And if I get a little uncomfortable during the day, I just add a drop to each eye and off I go. No blurring, no running...just smooth, gliding eyelids!

Great idea using a bottle from some drops that never worked anyway. I made the hole larger to accommodate the oil, just as you suggested. I keep the unused portion of Castor Oil in the fridge to prolong the shelf life.

I could only use GenTeal severe dry eye ointment at night, then became sensitive to the product and had to give it up. Oasis Plus drops are the only drops that seem to help, but still not enough lubrication.

On another note, CO is also good for aches and pains. Castiva, an expensive cream from the drug store, is made with a Castor Oil base, so I can also use the Castor Oil for my arthritic joints, without the added preservatives and alcohol.

For me, CO as an eye lubricant just might be the most beneficial health tip of the year. And if my eyes are lubricated, I may never get that dreaded Iritis in my left eye again.

Thanks, Svogstad.

Comment

AWESOME, thank you! I live in VA and have been trying to find somewhere that sells it!

Comment

This should have been directed to emeryeye

Svogstad: Do you rub on the CO full strength for your arthritis? My b/f has really bad osteroarthritis, and if it would help, that would be great! Thanks!

Terry
            Last edited by shorttcake521; 07-Dec-2011, 06:20. Reason: I put the wrong name on the post

Comment

I have thought of using castor oil drops as well. Castor oil has been used for a long time to treat inflammation and is an ingredient in Restasis I wasn't that keen on putting regular organic castor oil in my eye, so I have asked a compounding pharmacy to order me a bottle of pharmaceutical grade castor oil. From an infection causing prespective, this should be safe to put in the eye. A regular pharmacy might be able to order on pharmaceutical grade castor oil as well.

Comment

Castor Oil for arthritis

Originally posted by shorttcake521 View Post
                Svogstad: Do you rub on the CO full strength for your arthritis? My b/f has really bad osteroarthritis, and if it would help, that would be great! Thanks!

Terry
                I rub cold-pressed CO directly on aching joints and hip bursitis, then cover it with plastic wrap or cotton gloves to protect clothes. Flannel was suggested, but the wrap works well enough. I replace my eye drop bottle of CO every 2 weeks, keeping it in the fridge between use. I leave it out at room temperature for 1/2 hour or so before use, as like most oils, when cold it can be rather thick.

Comment

Thanks, Svogstad!

Comment

Hopeful2, were you able to the the castor oil from the pharmacy?

Comment

Yes, I did get some castor oil from the pharmacy. After using it around my eyelids for about a month, I became more aware of a burning sensation to my eye, especially my left. Having stopped with the castor oil for a couple of weeks now, the burning seems to be decreasing.

I don't anticipate I'll be using the castor oil again.

Comment

Darn! I was hoping it would be a miracle for us. I certainly appreciate your willingness to try it. I wonder if the whole organic, hexane free thing matters.

Comment

I don't know if the 'organic, hexane free' part makes a difference. If I were to try it again, I would use the organic hexane free version and pass on the pharmaceutical grade. It could be that in the processing of the oil, much of the healing element is removed.

Comment

Good point Hopeful2. I'm still playing with the idea. I used to use my restasis right before bed and then follow with celluvisc but I started doing the restasis earlier (to keep the doses 12 hours apart). Now my eyes feel so much drier in the AM. I'm thinking it's the castor oil in the restasis. Gave me that extra dose of moisture to keep my eyes moist overnight.

Comment

My thing is the quote by svogstad "I've been using it for 2 months now and I've had my eyes checked twice - once by an Optometrist and once by and Othamalogist - both reported seeing no negatice effects from the oil. In fact, my eyes are in great shape." If doctors saw no ill effects from his using the "pure, cold pressed, organic Castor Oil" then why not try it if you are suffering as I am, and I am a big chicken myself, as I read this months ago, and BOUGHT the pure, cold pressed, organic Castor Oil and have yet to try it! lol I admit the "idea" of putting CO in my eyes does scare me a bit, BUT, after rereading svogstad's post above, I will start using it TONIGHT! I am soo tired of waking up scared to death my eyes will be stuck and painful and blurry for 3 days!

I will report back!

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X