This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karin's success

This was sent to me by email - posting it for anyone who's interested!

----

I left you a voice-mail recently telling you about my success with dry eye and you sent me a message asking if I would send an e-mail. Here is the info.

I'm sending this e-mail to pass on to your readers. A little background... I have had dry eye for a long time. I have worn contacts for 30 some years and my eyes have become progressively more red, burning,aching, itching. I thought of actually giving up skiing as my eyes hurt so much. I have had repeated eye infections also, undoubtedly due to dry eye.

I have researched various websites over the years looking for some help. Having been a Biology college grad and worked in research, pharmaceutical cos. and drug development, I know what makes sense.

Here is what I have been advised to do...

1800 EPA
    1200 DHA which I get from 1 tsp.of Ultimate Omega oil from Nordic Naturals daily. I take it with apple juice at breakfast. Make sure the oil is in triglyceride form ONLY.

1 6mg astaxanthin pill from Fortifeye focus.

GLA no more than 200. I get it from Borage oil 1,000mg. Can also use Grapeseed oil. Get between 120-200 GLA/day. Make sure these amounts are followed exactly. The ratio is CRITICAL. Get at health food stores, etc.

1 scoop of undenatured ONLY whey protein(which releases glutathione)per/day.I use NanoPro undenatured whey protein.

Tears as needed. I use preservative free BION tears. Oasis are good too.

Hot compresses and massage as needed. [UPDATE: Karen told me later she no longer uses compresses at all.]

Occusoft scrub for eyelids at least 1 time/per day

Drink water (1/2 your body weight) and remember to blink, especially at the computer.

DO NOT take Vitamin A!!

If you must take a multi make sure it does not have Vitamin A. You can buy a multivitamin without A on the website above. FYI, I take Biotin, Calcium and Vitamin C because I think I need these. I just take these or any others you would want when you take your Astaxanthin. I take the pills with my oil in apple juice to get it down all at the same time. EASY!!

That's it. Very easy. After 3 monthes I really started to get better. By 6mos. WOW! My eyes are white, no more pain, I'm feeling GREAT! I have followed this advice without deviation. I am pain free. I recently saw my Opthomologist for an eye check-up. I have no more dry spots on the eyes. Incredible. It will be 1 year come 2/2/12.

I hope this will help someone or many.
    All the best,

Karin
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

This is great info, and after my next few treatment options, I may try this. I am curious to know why vitamin A would be bad for the eyes. I always thought it was a good thing.
    2 Cor. 12:8-10

Comment

I love posts like this. Not only has Karin gotten better she is sharing a really precise recipe for accomplishing it. Looks like she really did some research for figuring this out. Congratulations and I will try to incorporate these suggestions.

I wonder if she had more MGD than aqueous deficiency since she had red eyes and did warm compresses.

I too am curious about why vitamin A is bad for eyes.

Comment

I was curious about the vitamin A aspect so I did some Google searching. It seems that vitamin A helps reduce acne and biotin causes acne. I'm wondering if it also affects the oil in our MGDs the same way and this is why she suggested to avoid vitamin A and take biotin. Whatever her reasoning, it's always wonderful to hear about a success :-).

Comment

That makes sense. My eyes usually feel better when I have an acne breakout.

Comment

I think what Karen is saying is not to take vitamin A with the things she listed so you will get the most benefit. I love reading these kinds of stories. It gives hope that maybe one day we will share a story like this. I will definitely look into this treatment.

Comment

Great info, Ill try all these recomendations after i stop doing my current regime of supplements etc.
              I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

The information is not new. Using the fats such as EPA, DHA and GLA is something all dry eye patients need to consider. However, Karin is using almost maximum doses of the oils which will make all the difference. I guess there's nothing wrong with taking them with apple juice, just don't drink a whole glass of apple juice when taking nutrient supplements. Doing so will dilute the stomach acid making it difficult to digest. Always take the fat soluble vitamins and oils with some fatty food such as avocado, butter, cottage cheese, eggs, etc... I can't say I agree with avoiding Vitamin A (retinol). This is an essential vitamin for eye health and is not the same substance as retinoic acid. I've seen studies that show a deficiency of Vitamin A "causes" dry eyes. The astaxanthin is a carotenoid (known to have Vitamin A type activity.
                Notice the use of EPA and DHA (most likely derived from fish) rather than the usually recommended ALA from flaxseed for dry eyes?

A few more nutrients could be thrown into the mix here, but it's the doses that really make the difference. Excellent information, thanks for posting Rebecca.

Comment

Yes i figured it is the dosing and the absorbtion like you say taking with fatty food. I have taken fish oil for years but i dont think i was taking high doses. I was on a very potent fish oil capsule though for a while and didnt notice a difefrence.
                  I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Hi. I was told that Vitamin A is is easily found in food and that it would be rare to have a Vitamin A def. The doctor feels Vitamin A works against Vitamin D and others. Vitamin A def. is seen in 3rd world countries, not here. I was diagnosed with MGD and had immflamation for years, until now. The concentrations are critical for reducing the redness. The Biotin I take it to strengthen my hair and nails. It has nothing to do with NOT taking Vitamin A! I just take it to strengthen my nails and hair.

Comment

Karin, Very grateful indeed for your EPA, DHA, GLA ratios. Also whatever LM and I eat shows in the meibom so we are avoiding animal and artificial fats.
                      Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Karin,

Thanks for joining the forum and congratulations on your success!

I was wondering if you had more aqueous deficiency or MGD? Do you know why you have dry eye? Just wondering if what you did would work more for a certain type or certain cause of dry eye.

Comment

Hi Karin,

I am glad to hear how well you are doing, good news!

A while ago I had a panel of blood tests done (amino acids, vitamins, oxidative stress, hormones). Recently when I went for a review with my compounding pharmacist, he pointed out that my tests showed that I was profoundly Vitamin A deficient. He said that he typically only sees one in a hundred with Vitamin A levels as low as mine. Incidentaly, my vitamin D level was low too! I was very surprised as I thought I ate fairly well. He explained that stress can deplete our bodies of essential nutrients. At that point I was experiencing a lot os stress, as I am now. So, it may indeed be a good idea to supplement with Vitamin A, along with D (it appears that when you supplement with one you should take the other).

Thanks for sharing your story.

Comment

My dry eye is most likely from very long contact wear. Could be other reasons as well. Dry eye is the #1 reason people seek help from eye doctors. In response to Vitamin A def. that the last person stated, that is rather surprising. Stress will bring on a host of problems though. Alot of people take mega doses of vitamins. Possibly you overdid your amounts. Vitamin A is fat soluable so it will not be excreted quickly.

Comment

Karrin, im now doing this regime. Although im using nordic naturals cod liver oil 3 tsps to get the same quantity your taking. How long on this regime did you notice improvements in your dry eye? and how severe was your dry/how bad was the inflammation to begin with?

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X