• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-Progress: Solution Found

My issues:
    - my left eye become bone dry. Red veins became enlarged and permanent
    - my right eye soon followed.
    - I saw the 1st opth. and he cauterized the red vein in my right eye, a day later I got a hemmorage and my eye was filled with blood.
    - I saw 3 opthmalogists, they offered nothing. The 4th, offered plugs.
    - I got 1 plug per eye. Loved it.
    - I went back and got another set of plugs for the upper drainage system.
    - Felt better, one came out. I got the silicon plugs by the way.
    - I came back and had another put in.
    - All was well. Then a week later, my eyes got worse.
    - I then got blepharitis.
    - My upper eyelids become engorged.
    - I took a month off of work. The less I looked at computers and TV, the whiter my eyes looked.
    - I took Azasite, I slept like a baby for the first time. Prior to that I average 3-4 hours of sleep.
    - 2nd day of Azasite, my eyes looked like hell. Azasite caused more red veins in my eyes, and I stopped. It took about 2 weeks for the veins to reduce.
    - I went back to opth. and he said he had nothing left. He was out of ideas. He said the only alternative was to go to Stanford University where they could extract my own blood and make eyedrops.

My resolution:
    - I had my thyroid checked, and it was out of wack. I have Hashimotos and I've been taking synthroid. My medicine was too high. So my metabolism was to high. After 6 weeks my eyes are better. They only get red when looking at a computer screen.
    - The endocrinologist would not attribute my dry eye to my thryoid, and at first I was told I had TED or Graves Eye Disease. After 6 visits and tests, I was told I do not have it. Get your thyroid checked, get checked for any autoimmune disease.
    - I attribute much of my dry eyes to my insomnia, which is a symptom of Hashimotos. I took valium for about 2 weeks now and my eyes look great (because I sleep now). Prior I'd wake up with dry eyes and I had to pour gallons of solution into my eyes. Now, my eyes are watering. I NEVER thought this would happen. I was so desperate I prayed... my eyes were so dry that my eyelids no longer glided over my eye.
    - Search the internet, because doctors are arrogant, ignorant, and think they know everything... they specialize in targeted areas of the body.

In-Progress:
    - I was told I might have Sjorgen's. I'm going next week to see a Rheumatologist to see if I have it... since it goes hand-in-hand with Hashimotos.
    - I think I might have Sjorgen's because I have extreme dry mouth, dry nasal and dry eyes.
    - I saw an acupuncturist who had zero success. I then researched the internet for dry eye and accupunture, and found a website that said how it worked in animals.
    - I saw another acupuncturist and she needled my ears, around my eyes, and my mouth started salivating... to the point where I started to spit talk. This sounds gross but it was amazing. My eyes feel better but not as noticeable.
    - I stopped eating soy and any estrogen products. I drank soy milk and ate many apples, I've ceased. Estrogen can cause dry eye as in menopause.
    - I stopped eating wheat and gluten products. I cheat some times, but my diet previously was only wheat. Wheat noodles, wheat rice, wheat flour, etc. etc.
    - I soap my eyelids, I've never done this. My blepharitis went away.
    - I eat only organic meats, stopped eating pesticide fruits.

It's hard to tell what solved my problem, and who knows it might come back. My eyes only get red when I look at a computer screen. I also don't blink as I've been a graphic designer for 13 years, so my eyes are used to glazing for hours.

Hi funnybot,

I can relate to the merry go round scenario of treatments, getting better then getting worse, then better again. There seems to be nothing we can pin point it down too. It seems all the things you've tried have come together and all contributed to relief. Not giving up and persisting with all that's out there is the way to go.

I'm not sure about "Estrogen can cause dry eye as in menopause". Did you mean "a lack of estrogen can cause dry eye?". During ageing our bodies represent a leaf, youth is summer where leaves are plump, full of water, ageing is autumn where leaves dry up, shrivel and fall to the ground. It's the dwindling hormonal levels that do it. I recommend full spectrum testing of hormones, thyroid (as you've done) and replacing low levels. Stay clear of synthetic hormones!

I'm glad you saw the correct accupuncturist. I too have had accupuncture for dry eyes and it relieved the symptoms to an extent. I hope you continue to improve, all the best of luck.

Comment

DCRdryeye-
      Have you or do you know anyone who's had any success with bio-identical hormones helping dry eye ? Are you usung them and if so, what kind of doctor helped you with this?

Comment

Havent had success yet, but ive been using Pro-gest Hormone cream (progesterone- which supplements both estrogen and testosterone), twice a day on stomach and inside of wrists. I no longer get bad period pains during my period, although i cant say its helped my eyes yet. But it may help other people- so i thought Id put it out there.
        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Hi Sazy,
          Love the photo of you and your guy- Where did you get this cream? I'm way postmenopausal and in addition to my skin seeming drier and my hair thinning (wah!) I'm wondering if the loss of hormones may be contributing to my dry eye! Did you have any kind of hormone panel run to see what your levels are?

Comment

Hi Bunny, I don't use bioidentical hormones on myself, I only suggest them to my patients who are beyond the help with herbs/nutrients due to excessive low levels. I recommend a clinic in Melbourne (Australia) who has a medical doctor who prescribes them. Yes they can indeed assist with dry eyes since they help "dryness" in other areas of the body such as mucous membranes. It makes sense when you think about it, the eyeball is covered with a mucous membrane and under the eyelids is a mucous membrane!

Sazy is correct, the bioidenticals may not have helped her, but can help others. Dry eye is such an "individual" condition, what works for one, may not work for another.

Bunny, you mentioned thinning hair? we see this often with older women. It's related to either the thyroid or more commonly an imbalance of the ratio between progesterone and testosterone. As your progesterone goes down, your testosterone goes up! androgens contribute to male pattern baldness, and the same applies to women in their menopausal years.

Comment

I've had testing done for thyroid and everything is within "normal range". I do wonder if bio-identicals would be of some help- initially my gyn said she would consider prescribing for me, then wanted a cardiovascular work-up prior to and then said she would prefer I go to Wills Eye hosp. in Philly for them to have a look first. At the time, my eyes were so dry I felt it impossible to make the trip, so I stopped pursuing that line if treatment-also I'd just started restasis and was really hoping that would prove helpful. Now, 6 mos later on- I've only gotten slight improvement from that overrated med. and am back to looking at what else might be a factor here. Is it low progesterone then that contributes to dry eye in older women?

Comment

Every woman is different, of course. But here are two studies that found that hormone replacement therapy causes an increase in dry eye in menopausal women.

In my own case, my doctor prescribed HRT (before the Women’s Health Study came out) and not only did it increase my dry eye, it also affected my thyroid levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17030104
                CONCLUSION:
                Duration of menopause and use of HRT may increase the incidence of dry eye in post-menopausal woman.
                http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17071534
                CONCLUSIONS:
                HRT decreased tear production, the decrease being greater in the estrogen- only group. Woman who are taking or considering HRT should be informed of the potential increased risk of dry eye syndrome with this therapy. In addition, estrogen-only treatment decreased IOP while estrogen plus progesterone and tibolone had no effect. HRT did not affect lens opacity after 12 months of treatment.

Comment

Scout-
                  May I ask what type of HRT you were on? I took Prempro for a few months.This was years ago-I didn't like the way it made me feel and just stopped.

Comment

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Gest-Cream.../dp/B0001ZYLAO

If hormones are your problem- then this is definately not a bad idea! My dry eye is prob more ocular rosacea than hormones, but I cant say for deffo what is causing it. This cream is highly recomended, even people who have used bioidentical hormones from the doctor say they prefer this (read the amazon reviews).

You live in Philly? My husband lives in Lebanon PA, im moving there in 3 weeks!
                    I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Originally posted by bunnyrabbit123 View Post
                      Scout-
                      May I ask what type of HRT you were on? I took Prempro for a few months.This was years ago-I didn't like the way it made me feel and just stopped.
                      Like you, I was first prescribed PremPro. And like you, I didn't like the way it made me feel or the side effects. I was then prescribed estradiol and progesterone (don't know which brand). I think I took that one for about 3 months and stopped it as well.

Scout

Comment

Standard HRT, (synthetic hormones prescribed by doctors) is not something I'd recommend, it's a synthetic, man-made version of your own hormones. It will therefore act differently and cause side effects. On the other hand, bioidentical hormones are 100% identical to your own hormones. They do not have the same side effects as standard HRT and thus, will not cause dry eye...but rather improve them. There is not a big push amongst doctors and pharmaceutical companies for bioidenticals because they can't make money from it. They can only make money from a patented product, so this is what they do... They take natural estrogen/progesterone/testosterone and slightly alter it's chemical structure, and there you have it!! a new patent they can profit from. The only problem is it's a natural hormone that's been "altered", and although it will produce results, it has negative side effects.

The take home message is to understand the difference between bioidenticals and standard HRT.

Comment

DCRdryeye's comment regarding pharmaceutical companies is well expressed. I would like to add that when we look at studies done in professional journals, we need to look at who is funding the study, often it is the pharmaceutical companies.

I discussed bioidenticals and their potential effect on dry eye with my compounding pharmacist. He stated that the large study that was done with the health care workers, showing a link between HRT and dry eye, was done with the synthetic hormone. He did not believe that bioidenticals would cause a similar problem. . . and he added that he didn't know for sure as there have not been any studies done with bioidenticals. I think we have to keep in mind that some women notice dry eye symptoms with variations in their naturally cycling hormones. It seems that having some kind of a balance might be key to limiting the potential for dry eye effect of hormones.

Usually hormone imbalances are caused by underlying issues, such as, adrenal fatigue. In menopausal women the adrenal glands take over the role of the ovaries in producing the small amount of progesterone that is needed. If these glands become exhausted due to stress, it makes sense that the body will struggle with hormone regulation. This could be a contributing factor to dry eye. I strongly encourage a consult with a naturopathic doctor if you think you might be suffering from adrenal fatigue.

Comment

Wow!! my experience with HRT has been completely different. I started menopause at the age of 38 and, because of a history of osteoporosis in my family, my doctor told me HRT was almost a must. I stayed on it for 13 years. Two years ago, I decided it was time to stop and did so. A year later, I was diagnosed with Dry Eye syndrome and both my opthalmologist and endocrinologist told me to go back on it, so I did and a year later I still have full blown dry eye symptoms - I spose the conclusion is that HRT had very little to do with my dry eyes!! we"re all different of course! good luck in your quest for a solution!

Comment

Working...
                            X