Update: Visited an ayurvedic doctor in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: Visited an ayurvedic doctor in India

Update: Finally, I visited an ayurvedic doctor (Kerala type) in India. This doctor has MD degree but is not that famous in my city. Moreover this facility is also a small one. I just went there because it is nearby my place.

I told the doctor about my body type, problems etc .... and that I am using Triphala Ghrita for dry eye. The doctor told me that Triphala Ghrita is the best or one of the best medicines available in ayurveda for eye diseases including dry eye. (My earlier research turned out to be true ). So Dr. asked me to continue using Triphala Ghrita for 6 months. Doc also suggested me to take Tarpana Treatment treatment daily (15 min) for a period of 7 days. The doctor told me that, for 95% of the cases related to eye problems, they recommended and have been doing "Tarpana" method with Triphala Ghrita. It seems even one of the doctor's relative also had success with Tarpana treatment.

This Tarpana treatment costs about $100 to $150 for 7 days sessions here. Obviously a bigger and more famous facility/hospital would charge more.

Tarpana Treatment:- Placing medicated ghee over the bordered eye balls for a specific period for 7 - 14 days is called Tarpana. [ See below links for more details ]

1. http://www.prakrutiayurveda.com/?p=242

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXKJS9oI4nk

The Dr. also suggested, in case if "Triphala Ghrita" is not available, just as an alternative, equal quantities of Triphala Churna, Honey and Cow Ghee can be taken with warm milk. That means mix 1 teaspoon of Triphala Churna/Powder + 1 teaspoon of Honey + 1 teaspoon of Cow Ghee. Put this mixture in warm milk/water and then drink.
    [ Remember this is just an alternative, in case you are not able to find Triphala Ghrita in any indian store or you are not able to order online ]

I have not tried the above method, so I do not know how it works. Also, I have not undergone Tarpana treatment yet and I am still thinking if I should go for the treatment since I am already feeling good with Triphala Ghrita.

I think all good things taste bad and all bad things taste good. So do not worry about taste too much, just close your eyes or nose and drink.

The doctor also suggested me some oils to remove heat from my body. (Basically I have a very heat body). I guess this info is not relevant here .....

So that's the latest.

This is subashli reporting LIVE from India to "Dry Eye Talk" forum .

Read my previous posts and responses to know more:
    1. http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...d-unbelievable
    2. http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...vedic-medicine
    3. http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...now&highlight=

*** Good luck and God Bless ***

Thanks,
    Subashli
    Last edited by subashli; 09-Mar-2012, 23:17.

Difference between "Triphala Churna/Powder" and "Triphala Ghrita":

Triphala Churna/Powder - Ingredients:
    Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
    Bibhitaka (Terminalia belerica)
    Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)

Triphala Ghrita - Ingredients (Manufactured by Baidyanth)
    Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
    Bibhitaka (Terminalia belerica)
    Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
    Sunthi (Zingiber officinale)
    Marica (Piper nigrum)
    Pippali (Piper longum)
    Draksa (Vitis vinifera)
    Madhuka (Honey)
    Katurohini (Soymida febrifuga- katu quality)
    Prapaundarika
    Suksmaila
    Vidariga (Pueraria tuberosa)
    Nagakesara (Mesua ferrea)
    Nilotpala (Nelumbo nucifera)
    Sveta sariva (Hemidesmus indicus (Anantmool – white quality)
    Krsna sariva (Anantmool – Black quality)
    Candana (Santalum album)
    Haridra (Curcuma longa)
    Daru (Berberis aristata)
    Ghrta (Clarified butter from cow's milk)
    Payas (Milk)
    Triphala rasa.

Other brands that manufacture "Triphala Ghrita" may have slightly different ingredients.

Based on ingredients "Triphala Ghrita" > "Triphala Powder".

Triphala Ghrita has many more additional herbs than just Triphala Powder. So I think "Triphala Ghrita" is better. You have to mix Triphala Ghrita in warm milk and drink internally. I mix 2 spoons with warm milk. Sometimes 3 spoons if I feel like my eyes are more dry.

Hope this solved the confusion. For more information, see my previous responses/threads.

Comment

thanks so much for your update.. i wonder if this would help with someone like me with sjogrens?
      Jenny

Comment

Hi Subashlli

Yes thanks for the update, very interesting! Let us know if you try the tarpana method. Thats great that you are feeling better with this.

I found an ayurvedic dr. online. Have you ever heard of this dr? Here is his link. I sent him and email and he told me the cost of the phramaceutical meds from him would be $200 for 3 months to fix me. I'm a little weary about doing this online. Here is his link:

http://www.ayurvedaphysician.com/treatment.htm

Lisa

Comment

Jenny, Sjogren's is a complex manifestation of the autoimmune system. So yes, I think anything that acts on treating inflammation in the body can help anyone with dry eyes, regardless of the cause, lasik or Sjogren's. Ayurvedic medicine as well as Chinese medicine are both holistic in the sense that they treat the root cause, as opposed to offering a bandaid to treat the symptoms. In that light, I think you could certainly benefit from the treatments that are available through ayurvedic medicine.

If I had Sjogren's, I would be looking at what nutritional and herbal supplements I could take to help my body better digest nutrients. I would be visiting naturopathic doctors who specialize in herbal remedies. I would be looking into a Chinese medicine doctor for acupuncture to boost the immune system.

I think that anything that we can do to help our bodies, helps our eyes. . . sometimes I think we forget that they are attached to the rest of our body

Comment

Hopeful2.. i have been on a special diet and supplements from my naturopath.. its only been 45 days though.... ughh. thanks..
            Jenny

Comment

Subashlli,

Thank you very much for the update!!!

Comment

Working...
              X