Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It can get better

Hi everyone,
    Long time no email. Not sure how many of my old correspondents are still on here but i used to be a regular contributor some years ago. I guess the thing is that once you are better you forget there are still people suffering. Shame on me!
    Just thought I would bring you up to speed on how my eyes are doing. As a reminder I had epilasek seven years ago on one eye and suffered fairly bad dry eye, trying most things available.
    Anyway the good news for everyone who thinks that this thing will never improve is that mine definitely has, to the point where I dont really think about it anymore.
    I still get a little scratchy and gritty on occassion, usually late at night and after a good weekend but never to the extent of those bad years. I have probably only had 2 or 3 RCEs in this year and those have been after a really good night! So I would class my whole eye situation as being probably 95% of what it was before the op. I don't think it will ever get to 100% but I would have sold my soul 5 years ago to feel the way I do now.
    Unfortunately there has been no magic bullet although the improvement really began after I started using Dwell and Dakrina so they definitely helped. I have probably used drops only twice in the last 7 months, no compresses, flax seed oil or any other possible remedy.
    When I was at my lowest point the threads on this board that I read most avidly were those that spoke of long term (5 year) growth and recovery and perhaps my case is a point in question. So don't despair and never give up recovery may be just around the corner. What is noticeable is that my eye sight is now going back to what it was previously so the pain and anguish bought me 7 years incorrected sight. Fair exchange???
    I have said it before but this site saved my sanity so, Saint Rebecca, my eternal gratitude goes to you. Knowing my luck it will now come back with a vengeance but at the moment everything is great. For all those new to the board, if you do recover tell others because hope is the great inspiration.
    Love, thanks and best wishes to everyone who helped me throught the dark times!

Barry

Hi Barry,

Thanks for letting us know that it does get better. Good to hear you are feeling better. I had lasik 10 months ago and I have been looking back through old posts. It sure sounds like there can be about a two or even five year recovery time. In the mean time, it can seem pretty bleak. Words from those further along in the healing process are a godsend.

Just curious, did you develop dry eye in both eyes after the surgery in the one eye?

Wish you many more years of health and peace of mind.

Hopeful2

Comment

Hi there,
      The dryness and grittiness seemed to be in both eyes but by far the worst and the only one to get RCEs was the eye lasered. You just need to keep positive, try various things and hopefully things will improve. If you want my top tips they are fairly simple. Dont sit in a draught, tape your eyelids at night, keep well hydrated and dont drink red wine! All of those things seemed to trigger bad days for me. Chin up!

Comment

Hiya Barry!

Long time no see! Sooo nice to hear from you here! I often feel nostalgic about your particular 'generation' of DEZ graduates. There were several of you, Ian and others, with some really difficult post refractive issues in the UK at the same time and you always kept us in form with great humor in spite of everything you were going through which was a lot. So great to hear how well you are doing. As always we need every bit of encouragement and hope here that we can get so I sure appreciate yours!!
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca
          Yeah it was fun and Ian, NYer, DianaT and the rest helped me tremendously. I think if you can keep smiling and people join in the positive vibes during hard times it definitely helps. As Ive said Rebecca your forum kept me sane, hopeful and most importantly informed!
          God bless and take care
          Barry

Comment

Hello,

I'm a 23 year old female who has been fighting dry eye for eight months now. Honestly, I can say things have SLOWLY gotten better. My eyes aren't as red, and I use drops less frequently, but I am still not back to normal, which I hope to achieve. I am starting Restasis tomorow in hopes it will work for me. Were you on any medication you can tell me about that seemed to help you out?

Thanks for the encouragement

Comment

Not really. Dakrina and Dwelle seemed to begin the getting better phase. 8 months feels like a long time but if you are feeling progress now that has to be a good sign.

Comment

Barry. Did it ever get explained to you why dry-eye grittiness etc, developed in both eyes? i'm presuming it was just the one eye you had laserd, and the other was left totaly alone.

Cheers, Colin..

Comment

Not really Colin but at the time I never thought it too odd. I had epilasik as I remember on one eye and that eye was definitely the worst but both eyes definitely hurt! It really is a sign of the massive improvement I have experienced that I now cant remember the details of an experience whivh filled my life for about two years and which I obsessed over every day! There is life after dry eye honest!

Comment

Working...
                  X