This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Horrible to Functional

I have been dealing with this hell for one year. For the first three months, I couldn't leave my house, watch TV, get on the computer, work, NOTHING. I was up every 30 minutes all night and in EXTREME PAIN 24/7. Through little help from Doctors, I have brought myself out of this hell into a bearable state. I am a huge researcher and believe I have tried EVERYTHING. I will share what has worked for me. Now, I can work, be in air conditioning in public places for a limited time, and night time, well, that varies. It's still a struggle but much better. Keep in mind that I believe I started out with the most severe case of dry eye one can have.

Unfortunately, I have gained 25 pounds due to the emotional eating related to my depression from having my entire social life ripped from me, income decrease due to being in so much pain, not being able to go to the gym bc of the air conditioning, and the constant state of anxiety of the pain of sleeping, and the shame of being in public and having to constantly pour eye drops in my eyes and no one understands except you guys! I can sleep several hours each night without having to wake up and deal with "issues".

Ok, but there have been triumphs, as I am "functional". I am going to try to be more social this year, and we will see how my eyes hold out!

Cool mist humidifier in every room in summer and warm mist in winter. I spend around $20-30 on each of these at Walmart.

Supplements

1. Fish Oil 3,000 mg. Fish oil is better than flax. Make sure the fish oil is mercury free.
    Fish fat contains the "long chain" omega-3s (EPA and DHA), which are the omega-3 fats the body needs for vital functions, including eyesight. In contrast, the "short chain" ALA omega-3 fat found in plant foods such as flaxseeds must be converted to EPA and DHA in the body for beneficial eye effects. When you eat plant foods, your body converts only about 5 percent of dietary ALA into essential EPA and DHA.
    2. Krill Oil
    3. I use turmeric as a seasoning on everything; it's a great anti-inflammatory.
    4. Vitamin D3 5,000 IU'S
    5. Make sure your multi vitamin is made for eye health with leutein, bilberry, Vitamin A, etc.
    6. Vitamin C 2,000 mg.
    7. Use chia seeds and flax seeds on everything.
    8. Evening Primrose oil
    9. Astaxanthin

Regime

Morning after shower

1. Hot compress with wash cloth and eye massage
    2. Restasis (one vial lasts 3 days. I keep them in fridge)
    3. Rub organic aloe vera gel under eyes and on lids (helps with inflammation) I use Lily of the Desert Brand at Whole Foods
    4. Drink a glass of water with one eighth of a teaspoon of baking soda (alkalizes the body)
    5. Take one half of the above supplements

Evening after shower

1. Same as above except no aloe vera.
    2. I rub cold pressed castor oil under my eyes and on my lids. I use Home Health Brand. Your eyes will be worse the first day or two BUT THEN WILL IMPROVE. Castor oil can be effective in treating Blepharitis. The castor oil not only moisturizes the eyes, but reduces the inflammation around the eyelids. Dip your ring finger into castor oil and dap the oil around the eyelids where it is red and inflamed. The castor oil will soothe the eye and reduce the swelling and redness.
    3. Natrol Brand 5-HTP for my dry eye induced depression/mood. By far the cheapest at Costco.
    4. If I've been out in wind/pollution etc. I use an eye wash - Bausch and Lomb at Walmart. You can also use pure coconut water as eye drops or eye wash.Chemical analysis indicates it's close in makeup to intracellular fluid.

Right Before Lights Out

1. Another 1000 mg. of fish oil and Vitamin C ON TOP of what I have already taken!
    2. Systane night gel when I am desperate. I don't think these petroleum based eye gels are good for the eyes so I only use it once or twice a week. Otherwise the regular systane.
    3. Eye mask with indentation for eyes. I can't stand any pressure on my eyes. I'm not thrilled with the pricey eye goggles, but that's just me.

I am still struggling with the night part.

Eye Drops Other Than Restasis
    1. Similasan homeopathic eye drops for dry eyes. I use this ALL the time. There are around $6 at Walmart plus there is always a dollar off coupon inside.
    2. Systane Preservative Free Vials as needed.

Ice cube wrapped in paper towels on eyes help when inflammation really sets in (burning fire)

Pricey Options:

1. Gunnar glasses when I am on the computer have helped SIGNIFICANTLY. Cheapest on Amazon.
    2. Briza Seven Eye Prescription keep all the dust and wind out. I love LOVE them. They are expensive, but I noticed cheaper wrap-around sunglasses at Wal-mart that you can put your prescription lenses in.

Hope some of this is helpful!
    Last edited by blinky; 07-Aug-2012, 01:40.

Hello blinky,

I hope you keep improving.

Thanks for your detailed post.

Did you have a diagnostic? I mean, do you have bleph, MGD? Did you do Lasik? Which do you think are the causes of your dry eyes?

I have taking some supplements but i don't think they are making any effect. Have you noticed any improvement because of the supplements?

thanks
    Last edited by bakunin; 08-Aug-2012, 05:01.

Comment

The doctor mentioned some of my glands were blocked. I haven't had lasik surgery. I stopped wearing contacts years ago because I think my eyes were actually mildly dry then but I didn't even realize it. My dry eyes started after 2 months of an intensive writing workshop.

I think the worst thing about all this is the effect it has on my social life and the fear it puts in me just for going to sleep at night because the worst time for me now is at night. I swear I've had dreams about my cornea being ripped off, and I think the constant anxiety and pain and not knowing if I'm going to have a good day or not does and can lead to depression and anxiety.

I just try to stay positive at the fact that it has gotten better over the last year so maybe I can progress that much more over the next year. I do not and cannot accept that I'm going to be like this the rest of my life. I will keep educating myself and trying everything that I can. I do think supplements help. There's actually been studies done on fish oil specifically as well as castor oil.

I mainly just want everyone to know how about off I was and I am much better now, so maybe people who were not as bad off as I am can get completely cured. I do believe that is possible.

Comment

You are so awesome to give all the details that have helped you...and so glad you are functional! We, on this site, know what that means! Ashley

Comment

I also wanted to add that kelp is very important. You can get organic kelp granules by Maine Coast atWhole Foods for just a couple dollars. I also keep a wet wash rag in a zip lock bag in the freezer for a cold compress. Just as hot compresses create oil, cold simulates tears.

Comment

Originally posted by blinky View Post
            I think the worst thing about all this is the effect it has on my social life and the fear it puts in me just for going to sleep at night because the worst time for me now is at night. I swear I've had dreams about my cornea being ripped off, and I think the constant anxiety and pain and not knowing if I'm going to have a good day or not does and can lead to depression and anxiety.
            Hi Blinky, this is exactly how I feel. In most of the ilness people get relief from sleep, for us its a contrary.
            I had those horrible dreams too. And even if I have better days I am scared to plan anything, I never know how I wake up the next day.

Thanks for all those details of what helped you!
            I just added vit D to my list too as I got blood test result and it s low. I just wonder if 5000 units is not to high to take every day? This vitamin is dangerous to overdose...

Comment

I've been getting through the night mostly, and I attribute it to Refresh pm ointment. It has a consistency like vaseline, so you can only use it during the night. I don't wake up with bone dry eyes anymore and don't bother with drops at night.

BTW, I'm taking vitamin c powder, omega 9, and fish oil too. I also referred to the possible allergen list http://allergies.about.com/od/contac...tchtesting.htm and found that after eliminating everything mentioned (plus parabens, and using preservative free single use drops), my eyes seem to be improving. The possible allergens were in my makeup, shampoo, conditioner, hair moose, skin toner, eye cream, eye drops, etc.... The preservatives are a bit elusive....they were in my eye drops and skin toner too... http://eyestrain.sabhlokcity.com/pic...train-Book.doc When I googled the preservative name, it came up with a huge list of synonyms.... benzalkonium chloride (BAK), aka alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chloride and ADBAC. I found a longer list last time I googled it.

Comment

I’ve had dry eye for about 8 years. It is worse at night and my eyes feel like there is sand in them when I wake up; whether a short nap on a plane or in the morning after a full night’s sleep. I’ve been taking fish since I was first diagnosed on my doctors suggestion. However, a month or so ago, I stumbled on Evening Primrose Oil, and got some of the Now Foods 1300Mg Super Primrose oil. I purchased it on Amazon, and have been taking one in the morning and night, and after about two weeks, my dry eye is completely gone. Amazing. It feels great to wake up without sand in my eyes.

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Super-Primrose-1300Mg Softgels/dp/B0018O8IQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348093518&sr=8-2&keywords=evening+primrose+oil

Comment

Northernliving... what condition do you have ? MGD?
                  so primrose oil helps you?? i was told by my doc to not take omega 6..i am so confused!!!! i tried your link but it doesnt go through! help
                  thansk!
                  Jenny

Comment

Hi Jenny,

My eye dr has never described my condition as MGD, so I'm not sure. Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) helped me dramatically. I'm also taking a few other supplements, but EPO helped after 2-3 weeks. I haven't put a drop in my eye in nearly two weeks and they are white as white when I wake up in the morning and all day long. I purchased it from Amazon. For some reason the entire hot link didn't come through. cut and paste it in or try this http://tinyurl.com/92q4e4a

Comment

anyone else had any success with EPO?

Comment

im curious too... as my eye docs dont want me trying anything omega 6 even tho evening primrose and gla are anti inflammatory... hmmmm

also if we take fish oil i wonder if the epo or gla should be taken at seperate times?
                        Jenny

Comment

Well,.its a year later and I just want everyone to know that I have regressed badly, not to be discouraging but to let everyone know why I think I've regressed so you can avoid it. I live in Dallas, Texas which is boiling hot during the summer, plus we have been a huge drought for 2 years now...however, this past summer is the first time since I've gotten severe dry eyes for me to stay here all summer. For example, last summer I spent a month in the Pacific Northwest. anyway after 3 long hot dry months here with dust and pollution swirling all around with little to no rain, my eyes are absolutely horrible for the last 2 months. I attribute this to the low humidity due to the air conditioner running constantly as well as the little rain so all the dust, pollution and the pollen has not been washed away. so the moral of the story is keep using humidifiers everywhere. I even have one in my car! and protect your eyes with wraparound glasses, wraparound sunglasses, whatever you can. If you have dry eyes, your eyes cannot wash away everyday debris that normal people with nice juicy eyeballs can deal with, so the pain in dry eyes turns into much more than dry eyes. people who suffer from chronic moderate to severe dry eyes literally cannot deal with environmental issues. Anyway I'm se eing an acupuncturist next week... she is supposed to be a big deal around here, so I will report back... wish me luck! the weather here is current really cool and pretty so that should help too. I hope.

Comment

Working...
                          X