No announcement yet.

Success Story-Saw doc this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for reminding me, Cali. I've never had a refractive eye surgery, so I am different - my diagnosis is ocular rosacea. But I'm very happy that you've improved... it is frustrating, however, to never know exactly why things got worse.

That reminds me of a book I've been reading about managing chronic diseases. Blinks recommended it in a post on Sept 13 (http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...5812#post75812)

The book is "Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions" (2012) out of Stanford University. It's excellent (I'm only up to Ch.4 - but when I finish the book, I'm going to start again at the beginning).

In the first chapter, the authors discuss the differences between acute and chronic diseases. Chronic diseases have slow beginnings, often uncertain cause(s) (especially early on), usually last for life, are sometimes difficult to diagnose, and tests are often of limited value. The combination of many causes and unknown factors is frustrating for both doctor and patient especially because clear answers aren't available. The long-term effects of chronic diseases may be hard to predict. And the lack of regular or predictable patterns is a major characteristic. Chronic diseases also have symptoms that feed on each other - there is a vicious cycle that only gets worse until a way is found to break the cycle. [page 3]

Anyway, I hope you found the way(s) to break the cycle and continue to improve!

Comment

Wow, I'll have to get the book. I forgot to mention I have roscea as well and could also very well have ocular roscea. I use metrocream every night on my nose. If I get stressed, have Mexcian food, get too hot, etc. I get a roscea break-out in a matter of hours. It's awful. I get so depressed because my nose turns into a big, giant, red inflamed nose. When I first got roscea in my late 20's, I had the butterfly pattern. It was on the sides of my mouth, sides of my nose, outer corners of my eyes. And it was PAINFUL.

So that fits in with the chronic dieases scope. Many factors come into play.

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
      Thanks for reminding me, Cali. I've never had a refractive eye surgery, so I am different - my diagnosis is ocular rosacea. But I'm very happy that you've improved... it is frustrating, however, to never know exactly why things got worse.

That reminds me of a book I've been reading about managing chronic diseases. Blinks recommended it in a post on Sept 13 (http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...5812#post75812)

The book is "Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions" (2012) out of Stanford University. It's excellent (I'm only up to Ch.4 - but when I finish the book, I'm going to start again at the beginning).

In the first chapter, the authors discuss the differences between acute and chronic diseases. Chronic diseases have slow beginnings, often uncertain cause(s) (especially early on), usually last for life, are sometimes difficult to diagnose, and tests are often of limited value. The combination of many causes and unknown factors is frustrating for both doctor and patient especially because clear answers aren't available. The long-term effects of chronic diseases may be hard to predict. And the lack of regular or predictable patterns is a major characteristic. Chronic diseases also have symptoms that feed on each other - there is a vicious cycle that only gets worse until a way is found to break the cycle. [page 3]

Anyway, I hope you found the way(s) to break the cycle and continue to improve!

Comment

My rosacea is very sensitive to everything too - sunlight, temperature, food, emotions, fluorescent lighting, breathing (okay, I only add breathing to illustrate that everything seems to be a trigger for me!). I have a constant hot, stinging, burning face. Yes, I agree - It is painful. I wish someone would discover something that helps.

The book I mentioned above is excellent - it really hit home for me. Some of the specific info is not relevant to DE and I ignore it or tweak it to make it applicable. But so far the general info is spot on like:

* what is a chronic health condition
        * similar symptoms of different diseases
        * different people's responses to same disease
        * the path of chronic illness
        * self managment skills (skills needed to deal with the illness, continue a normal life, and deal with emotions)
        * problem solving
        * finding resources
        * understanding and managing common symptoms (fatigue, pain/discomfort, sleep problems, depression, anger, stress, memory problems, and more)

And that's only up to Chapter 4 - too much to list! If you get the book, I hope it helps. Good luck with everything.

Comment

hey Cali
          just wanted to let u know xanax helps me so much too... i am the same -if i get way stressed one or both eyes get really dry..meditation is great too but sometimes i need a xanax..
          Jenny

Comment

Working...
          X