This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing Better - 1 Year Post Lasik

It has been 13 months since I had Lasik eye surgery - a day I will remember for ever - January 19th. It's funny how prior to Lasik- I was so excited about that day, January 19th as I thought my life after Lasik would be more convenient and I could finally get rid of my glasses and contacts for good. Granted, I wore contacts for over 20 years without any issues (every day - at least 14 to 16 hours a day).

Now I look back in horror on January 19th - I still remember that day so clearly sitting in the waiting room so excited to have the procedure and be on my way. I had planned to go to work the following day and life would be normal. But, it wasn't. Following the day after surgery, a downhill spiral started and it was hell for the next 6 to 7 months following surgery. I spent hours a day researching, reading others posts on DryEyeZone - It was my only saving grace. I connected with other members and spoke to others on the phone. No one in my family or friends understood the horror I was going through. I remember driving to work each day thinking how was I ever going to make it through the day. I would leave work at 3 pm daily and drive home looking forward to closing my eyes but knowing I had to make it through another day.

During this time, I had tried Restasis, Lotemax, Serum Drops, Plugs, Azasite, cold presses, hot compresses, fish oil, low inflammatory diet, over the counter drops, you name it. I went to accupuncturists, naturalpaths, regular doctors, opthamologists, psychologists. But, nothing worked.

By end of May, I decided to fly to New York to see Dr. Latkany for another opinion. He looked at my eyes right away and diagnosed me with ocular rosacea. He suggested detoxing my eyes off of everything stating that everything I put in my eyes were making them worse. I was petrified to stop taking everything and pulling the plugs, but I did. Fast forward through a few hellish weeks, and I started to round the bend. I started feeling somewhat normal again.

Granted I still go periods with my eyes being dry - but nothing like I had experienced. I now work, travel, read, watch TV and engage in most of my normal activities. Everyone told me it can get better, and it can. I still worry they will get worse again, but I try not to let my self think that way.

it's finding the right solution and the cause of what is causing the problems. I am happy to talk with anyone else going through a post Lasik challenges. It can get better - we just don't know what our time clock is to get there.

Wow, thats so great to hear! So now you need nothing to treat the ocular rosacea? Did dr L have any thoughts about how this connected to your lasik surgery?
    So nice to hear someone getting än accurate diagnose! But who was the drops making things worse.? I try to take3 that up with docs and opticians here but they dont understand how that could happen.

Comment

Hi Laura, I'm very happy for your progress. Looking at your words sound like they are mine, except I'm a little older in this post lasik misery. I cannot stand eye drops, after 6 months post surgery I got lower plugs and decided not to use them anymore. They are making my eyes so much worse. Even now, 1 year and 5 months after, if I decide to lubricate my eyes with drops before I go to bed, the next morning I get a sensation of dryness. So I depend on my own tears that i still have and on my ziena's moisture chambers. Strange is that I haven't been diagnosed with ocular rosacea but maybe here doctors aren't quit experienced to notice this eye disease. ..
      However like you I feel a lot better than an year ago. I want to enforce your words full of hope for the others that are at the beginning of this road confronting themselves with severe dry eyes post lasik. Definitely there is hope.
      All the best
      Cristina

Comment

Great news Laura!
        have
        Drops makes me worse either.

The question why the dryness onset was post-lasik if you had ocular rosacea i think supports the hesis that almost every disease are multi-factor. Propably your ocular rosacea alone wan not enough for dryness, then came lasik...

I had lasik in 2005 and my dry eyes onset was in 2011, but I think if I didn't had lasik I wouldn't have dry eyes now.

Comment

Dr. L actually thought I had ocular rosacea prior to surgery and my contacts acted as a shield or bandage to protect my eyes. I then have Lasik and my whole world turns upside down. My overly senstive eyes were being doused with every drop under the sun, probably agitating them more and then I wasn't wearing contacts to protect my eyes any more.

I did take Doxy for a while, but haven't taken it for months and it doesn't seem to make a difference. What I have learned through this process is sometimes less is more in the process of healing. I also think my eyes were not producing many tears in beginning and have started to resume to normal levels.

Comment

Thank you for posting this.

I am 15 months post-Lasik and lose more and more hope with each passing day. When people say things do get better I have a tendency to roll my eyes because things haven't exactly gotten better for me. To a certain extent they have gotten worse. I feel like I've tried every non-invasive treatment option out there with only temporary/minimal effect. Like many, i expected to feel this way a few days to weeks following lasik, I never expected to feel this way 15months later. It's been a difficult journey and the light at the end of the tunnel just seems to go farther and farther away. I think this post you did made it come a little closer.

P

Comment

Patrick:

Please hang in there. You have to believe. Have you gotten second opinions? I went to two very reputable corneal opthamologists and they did not help me, it was Dr. L in New York who looked at my situation differently. Have you tried the serum drops yet?

It was my husband who suggested I post my progression as I could hopefully give hope to others who are still suffering. That is quite honestly what helped to get me through some rough patches.
              Feel free to PM me anythime.

Comment

Hi LauraK,

It's interesting that Dr L. suggests stopping all drops, it must be true that some people get stuck in a viscious cycle of drops that they may well be sensitive to and compounds their issues. Do you use any drops at all or did you go completely cold turkey?

Comment

Laura,

Congrats! I'm really glad to hear that things have turned around for you. I'm hoping that will be me someday. A few questions:

How can I tell if I have ocular rosacea?

I still have blurry vision, which clears up only with drops. I wish I could figure out if it's from regression or dryness - any ideas to test that theory?

Are you back in lenses now, or able to see well on your own? I'm considering scleral lenses, because, again, my vision continues to be poor.

I'm honestly considering going off all that stuff, like you did, because I seem to be getting worse as time goes on. Did you notice improvement after you gave the treatments up?

Thanks, Chandra

Originally posted by LauraK View Post
                  Dr. L actually thought I had ocular rosacea prior to surgery and my contacts acted as a shield or bandage to protect my eyes. I then have Lasik and my whole world turns upside down. My overly senstive eyes were being doused with every drop under the sun, probably agitating them more and then I wasn't wearing contacts to protect my eyes any more.

I did take Doxy for a while, but haven't taken it for months and it doesn't seem to make a difference. What I have learned through this process is sometimes less is more in the process of healing. I also think my eyes were not producing many tears in beginning and have started to resume to normal levels.

Comment

LauraK... I'm so glad for you.

Originally posted by LauraK View Post
                    It was my husband who suggested I post my progression as I could hopefully give hope to others who are still suffering.
                    Please thank him for us We neeeeeed these reports!
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi laura

thanks for ur post . my story very similar to urs except Im still waiting to get better. i too have been diagnosed with ocular rosecea by one Dr but no treatment was recommended so never returned to that Dr.
                      Can i ask
                      do you have mgd ?
                      How did u manage redness without drops ? My eyes go bright red if i don't drop half hourly.
                      Were ur glands horribly blocked ?

Thank you.
                      http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

I thought I had MGD - but not sure. Did your doctor talk to you about DOXY? I found less drops to be better for me. It took a while for my eyes to adjust but I think most people tend to overdrop.

Comment

Yeah i was on doxy for 4 months . only initially helped. i probably overdrop but the pain and permanent redness if i don't is worse
                          http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

Working...
                          X