This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally some relief thanks to scleral lenses

I am on into day 3 with my scleral lenses and I am thrilled to finally have some relief and not be in pain. I am a 59 year old female. I came down with ocular rosacea two years ago. It responded to nothing. I am using Restasis twice a day x 5 months and it has helped the inflammation however my MGD and dry eye continued. I found Restasis to be a very hard medicine to use because it seemed to make my eyes worse i.e. more-red, more irritated, more miserable however My Opthalmologist, Dr. Priscilla Fowler, at UAB made me realize it was my only chance to get better. As I said, so far the Restasis has helped the eyelid inflammation but not MGD. Thanks to the dry eye zone I found out about scleral lenses and Dr. Fowler thought they might help me. I was fitted by Dr. Rosenthiel at UAB. I am very pleased so far. They were very helpful in teaching me how to put them in and out and I have had no problems so far. Last week I never would have been able to write this because I would have been in too much pain. I can't say that my eyes feel completely normal with the lenses in but it this definitely a huge improvement. I am hoping my eyes will get more used to them and i will be less aware of them being in, however, if it never gets any better it still a huge improvement. The price was not too exorbitant either. I spent slightly over $1,000 dollars for the fitting and the lenses.

Congrats on the scleral lenses Roe. I hope they continue to help and within time you will get used to them and not notice them in your eyes as much.
    I've read that scleral lenses doesn't help with MGD much since the eyelids are affected and they are exposed. I've had many attempts with sclerals but could never get a comfortable fit and still had that "dry" feeling. The problem could be a lack of diagnostic equipment and scleral lens availability in Australia. Since then I've found another fitter who uses the OCT scanner and different scleral lenses. He assures he can obtain a better fit, so on the merry go round ride again I go.

Dr. Rosenthiel worked at BFS didn't he? and they charge nearly $12,000? so you certainly got a good deal there

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
      Congrats on the scleral lenses Roe. I hope they continue to help and within time you will get used to them and not notice them in your eyes as much.
      I've read that scleral lenses doesn't help with MGD much since the eyelids are affected and they are exposed. I've had many attempts with sclerals but could never get a comfortable fit and still had that "dry" feeling. The problem could be a lack of diagnostic equipment and scleral lens availability in Australia. Since then I've found another fitter who uses the OCT scanner and different scleral lenses. He assures he can obtain a better fit, so on the merry go round ride again I go.

Dr. Rosenthiel worked at BFS didn't he? and they charge nearly $12,000? so you certainly got a good deal there
      I was worried about MGD and the sclerals, however, I think the restasis has helped the inflammation enough that it may work. Re: Dr. Rosenthiel, she is at the University of Alabama, in Birmingham, USA. They did use the scanner on my eyes. Re: price. I don't know what the difference is between these lenses and the Boston lenses, obviously there is one I guess but they are $5,000 dollars each! I am hoping these will work and I don't have to go to Boston!

Comment

Congrats Roe72... that's great to hear. Wishing you good lasting success.

DCRDryEye I think you're thinking of Perry Rosenthal
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Today was the first day with my sclerals! I was really worried because yesterday when the doctor put them in for me, my eyes were pretty red and irritated. I am unsure why because at my fitting (which was three weeks ago, I was fine) My eyes are very sensitive and the slightest thing triggers them. I was having a panic attack while doing it BUT I got them in my second try with no bubbles! AND my eyes didn't get very red at all. I wore them for 45 minutes and took them out.

My doctor said each day add half hour to an hour because I have never worn contacts. I did feel some relief though. I am just happy I never got neovascularization or anything.. I am also hoping my eyes get more used to them. I don't feel them really but after 45 minutes, I did experience some level of burning. Who knows maybe one day I will be able to wear them all day, but for day one it didn't go so bad...

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
            Today was the first day with my sclerals! I was really worried because yesterday when the doctor put them in for me, my eyes were pretty red and irritated. I am unsure why because at my fitting (which was three weeks ago, I was fine) My eyes are very sensitive and the slightest thing triggers them. I was having a panic attack while doing it BUT I got them in my second try with no bubbles! AND my eyes didn't get very red at all. I wore them for 45 minutes and took them out.

My doctor said each day add half hour to an hour because I have never worn contacts. I did feel some relief though. I am just happy I never got neovascularization or anything.. I am also hoping my eyes get more used to them. I don't feel them really but after 45 minutes, I did experience some level of burning. Who knows maybe one day I will be able to wear them all day, but for day one it didn't go so bad...
            I know. It is scary putting them in. I almost panicked as well. Are you using the plunger to take them out. It makes it really easy. I am terrified of losing the plunger however!

Comment

We have a lot in common. I am five months Restasis to! It also makes my eyes more red, irritated, miserable lol... My doctor said to give it six months. APPARANTLY that's the "magic number" but I also hate that I feel like by putting it in I am making myself worse.
              What exactly did your doctor say about Restatsis and your increased symptoms? Have the sclerals caused you any redness? What size are yous?

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
                We have a lot in common. I am five months Restasis to! It also makes my eyes more red, irritated, miserable lol... My doctor said to give it six months. APPARANTLY that's the "magic number" but I also hate that I feel like by putting it in I am making myself worse.
                What exactly did your doctor say about Restatsis and your increased symptoms? Have the sclerals caused you any redness? What size are yous?
                About Restasis. It has helped me. My eyelids were very red, swollen and inflamed, I also had sty's (they have another name I just can't spell it). The Restasis calmed all that down and my eyelids are much better. My MG function definitely has not returned to normal however. Still hopeful for that...anyway, hence the scleral lenses. The restasis is definitely hard to use but i just tell myself i have to. My eyes are red right after I put the lenses in and then they seem to get better over the course of the day. Overall my quality of life is much better because I am not in pain. I don't know what size they are. I will look.

Comment

I'll admit it has also helped my lids a lot. Pre Restasis they looked purple , now they look fairly normal. Today was a better day with my sclerals as I am going on hour three. My vision is a tad blurry I think from the fluid but its worth it. I find if I get the lense in without irritating my eyes I am good with no redness.

I am unsure if I will wear them everyday as I am on serum drops and want to be able to use them. I am seeing sclerals as a crutch and have to make sure I am still treating the problem. Your eyes will get better daily once they are used to them.

Good luck!

Comment

Yes. Good luck to you as well. I have had mine in all day today.

Comment

Are you having any dryness or redness once u take it out? I feel like I am experiencing more dryness once they r out.

Comment

Yes! They definitely feel better when they are in than when they are out. My eyes do get tired of having them in however. Possibly I should take them out mid-day and refresh....

Comment

I am finding great relief when they are in. I am worried about the dryness I feel once they are out. I am almost getting like a rebound. It is only day 3 so I hope the rebound goes away. I am trying to ease into it SLOWLY but my eyes are tolerating them okay. What are you doing at the end of the day once they are out to feel better?

Comment

I am wearing them pretty much all day. In at 8am out at 7pm. After that I just do some warm compresses and put the Restasis in right before bedtime (joy!). My eyes do ok for a couple of hours after if I don"t strain them too much.

Comment

Working...
                            X