Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my dry eye solution: VitC, VitD, omega3 and VitA in the right doses at the right time

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my dry eye solution: VitC, VitD, omega3 and VitA in the right doses at the right time

Dear all,

I have finally found a solution for my dry eye problems, I am not sure if it will work for other people. This was trial and error from my part, no doctor told me to do this, but I read many blogs and observed in my life what made it better and what made it worse. I have told my solution to doctors and they are very sceptical, but no one has done studies to confirm or reject this solution. So it may be worth trying.

First of all, my dry eye problem is inflammation of the channels that distribute the oily substances over your tears, so that they are not drying too fast. These oil channels are in the upper eye lid. Without the oil, the tear film breaks up and your eyes dry too fast. Sometimes my eye lid was a little swollen, that is because the oil was building up in my eye lid, the channels were shut because of the inflammation and the oil could not get to the eye. You can squize the oil out of these channels with your fingers or with hot compresses, and then you are releaved for a little while. So my problem is not a problem of not enough tear liquid, and my solution may not work for people with not enough tear liquid.

I will not go into detail on how I found this out, but here are the substances that reduce the inflammation, in order of importance:
    high dose of VitC
    high dose of VitD
    omega 3
    VitA

You need to be carefull because high doses of these vitamins are toxic, but if you suffer so much from your dry eyes as I do, then you take that risk.

The procedure is as follows:

2 to 5 g VitC per day for 3 to 5 days a week. You need to experiment a bit what works best for you. It is important that you reach high peak concentrations of VitC, so don't use the slow release dosing, use the soluble VitC. Start with 1g in the morning and 1g in the evening for 5 days a week but not more. Then stop taking VitC for 2 days. Together that is a nice weekly schedule. Take care of your teeth, VitC is very acid, so I always drink something afterwards to rinse my mouth and avoid that my teeth get corroded. You have to drink a lot during the day, or you risk kidney stones. VitC is secreted with the urine, so you don't store it in your body for long. Your urine may get a little more yellow. If you use too much too often, the effect disappears, this is because you activate your enzymes that break down VitC, your enzymes do this to protect your body. That is also why you cannot take VitC in such high doses every day, your enzymes get overactive and break it down as fast as you take it so it no longer has any effect. For that reason, you stop taking VitC for 2 days before you start again for the next 5 days. To give those enzymes a rest, also don’t take VitC rich food such as fruit in the days inbetween. I now take 3g VitC per day for 4 days a week. I have gone through various combinations, for example 5g a day for 2 days a week, and other combinations. It took me years to find the right combination. If it worked for you for a few weeks, and then not any more, this means that you need to shift to more days without VitC. To do that, first stop VitC for at least a week, then start again with less days VitC, more days without VitC and perhaps higher doses, such as 3g/day instead of 2g/day. If you have to go up to 5g/day for the effect to last, then adapt your schedule to more days without VitC.

The days that you don't take VitC, take VitD. This can be in various forms. Also here you have to experiment what works best for you. I take per day 2 capsules of fish oil, 4 capsules of fish liver oil, and 1 pipet of liquid VitD, spread over morning and evening. The total dose that I take per day is about the maximum dose allowed in one week, and I take that for 3 days a week. You need to take care to take enough calcium (like milk, but if you have lactose intolerance like me that is also a problem) or use a VitD dosing with calcium in it, otherwise the high dose VitD will solubilize the calcium of your bones and you could get osteoporosis. VitD is stored in your fat tissue, so any overdosing stays there for a long time. When I am on holidays in a sunny area, I sunbath my eyes (with eyelids closed) and then I don't feel the need to take extra VitD. The message is go to sunny places a few times a year, and at that time don't take extra VitD, in this way you avoid overdosing in the long run. Such sun bathing of your upper eye lid brings the VitD right to the proper place, you cannot overdose VitD in this way. You need to sit in the sun like that for at least 30 min per day, put enough sunscreen on the rest of your face (not on your eye lid). Take care not to expose your naked eye to sunlight.

Omega3 is in fish oil, VitA is also in the fish oil and fish liver oil, so you have already a good dose with the treatment described above. I take extra omega3 every day (so also on the days that I don't take fish liver oil but VitC), two big spoons of flax seed oil per day.

You can already see that the final solution is quite toxic for your body, but so far I have had no side effects, and I am doing this for a few years now. And finally, after all this experimenting, I do not have dry eyes as long as I keep this regimen. When I go abroad and forget my stock of vitamines and I run into a weekend with no shops or pharmacies open, within a day my problem comes back. If I stop this regimen for several days, I need to put drops in my eyes every hour or so, sometimes every 15 min. When I start the regimen again, my problem is gone within a day. So I am quite sure that the regimen works for me.

I have told this regimen also to other people, and I know of at least one other person that has her problem solved, just like me.

I hope it helps, let me know if it helps for you. If you tried it and it does not work, please also tell me. I would like to know for which proportion of people it helps, and for which kind of problem it helps or does not help. I am a scientist and would like to collect all these data to publish it somewhere so that other people can also use it if it works. It may help also for other types of inflammation problems. I know of one women that uses the VitC part of my solution, and it works for her rheuma (which was not so severe but painful, and that is now solved for her).

Let me know whether it works for you.

Cheers,

Annemie

PS I put this message also on one of the other threads, if it works for you spread it wherever you think it is needed

Thanks for the info...what brands do you use of vitamins?

Comment

Originally posted by Katewest View Post
      Thanks for the info...what brands do you use of vitamins?
      I think the brand does not really matter, for VitC I have now UPSA-C, but any other soluble VitC should work. For VitD I currently use MannaVital, these are drops. But you can use pills also. Good luck

Comment

Something to think about when buying supplements...

Researchers reported in JAMA Internal Medicine that they tested 55 bottles of vitamin D from 12 manufacturers and found that only one in three accurately reported the pills' vitamin D content -- some had as little as 9% of what was on the label.

They recommend picking a bottle with a USP verification logo, which indicates the supplements have undergone additional quality tests.

The pills found to report D levels most accurately were Nature Made D3 2,000 IU

Some sources:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24126772
        http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91C1KH20130213
        http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/arti...icleID=1570096

Comment

It's interesting because I was thinking of posting something similar to this. I went to an allergist and found out that Omega 3 fish oil anti-inflammatory effects only kick in once you take 2000-3000 mgs per day. This is why I believe they never worked for me in the past. In order to reach this level, I started taking 3 pills of 800 mg (the highest potency) omega 3 (EPA) a day. I couple this with 10,000 IU of Vitamin D. My routine is 2 omega 3 plus 1 5000 mg vitamin D pills in the morning. 1 of each in the evening. And it has definitely had an effect. It hasn't cured me completely but it has really been very positive.

So now, I stumble upon your post and see that I am missing the Vitamin A and C. I am very surprised that C is first in order of priority on your list. I eat a lot of fruit so I think I might be getting enough C already but I am not sure if it is the right kind. I am going to try to add Vitamin C 1000 mg to my routine and will start eating carrots every day to add the vitamin A. We'll see if it is a silver bullet. Thank you for the info on your success.

Comment

Danny-I take flax oil in but not the pills the actual oil. Its gross but the omega 3 is 7000mg. How long till you noticed an effect? Does it have to be fish oil?

Edit- I tried the Barleen's orange swirl and it was divine. BUT there omega 3 levels were about a quarter of what the pure flax oil was. Just in case anyone else thought they could get off easy with the tasty stuff

Comment

RE: vitamin D. It is relatively easy to achieve levels that are too high. My GP tests my levels annually and when I was taking close to 5,000 units daily the level was around 80, which was getting a bit too high. I believe the optimal level is around 50. If it is over 100 you can have liver damage.

Comment

Kate,

I stay away from any flax seed products because a doctor told me that a new study had linked flax seed to prostrate cancer. I do understand the benefits though and why you take them. I saw the benefits almost straight away (maybe a day or two) after I started taking the combo of the vitamin D and fish oil. You should definitely feel the benefit at 7000 mgs if it is going to work but it may be a combination of different things you need. 7000 mg is really high though. I take the pills so I get about 2400 mg.

Regarding the Vitamin D comment (other poster), you are correct but at 5000 IU, the blood tests still showed I was too low. I have gone to 1000 IU which is safe enough. You would not want to go over that though IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_ View Post
                  at 5000 IU, the blood tests still showed I was too low. I have gone to 1000 IU which is safe enough. You would not want to go over that though IMHO.
                  I live in a sunny climate, a source of vitamin D, and was spending some time in the sun each day, as directed by my GP because my Vit D was too low. Then had to adjust after retesting and getting a much higher number one year later. So it depends. You just have to be aware of the possible sources and adjust as necessary. Right now, for example, I'm now taking about 2800 units daily which includes some Vit D that is included with my Omega 3's. But I just had my levels tested last week, expecting results some time this week. So may have to adjust again. Will see.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_ View Post
                    I am very surprised that C is first in order of priority on your list. I eat a lot of fruit so I think I might be getting enough C already but I am not sure if it is the right kind. I am going to try to add Vitamin C 1000 mg to my routine ...
                    Hi Danny, you never reach the levels of VitC that I use with your food. The trick is the high doses, they work anti-inflammatory. You can not keep using such high doses without the effect waning off. So that is why you need to experiment with the number of days inbetween your days of high dose VitC. Since in the days of VitC, you don't need such high doses of VitD, alternating between days with VitC and days with VitD helps to avoid the toxicity of VitD. Good luck! Annemie

Comment

Hi Annemie,

I'm trying out what you did and I'm wondering how long it took you before you saw good results? I have clogged glands and also losing lashes. I was told by the last doctor I saw that I have inflammation on my eye lids. I started taking 2000mg of vitC, two 10000 IU of vitA, 2000 IU of vitD, and 1500mg of Buckthorn Omega 7, 3600mg of flaxseed a day. All of these a per day. I got blepharitis due to PRK I had a year ago in which the lying doctor from the clinic I went to never told me that I was not a good candidate in the first place. It makes me so angry, but I will do the best I can to reverse this. I believe that there is cure to all illnesses, it's just the matter of finding it. Corporate pharmaceuticals will never provide a cure, because you guys know why? No money in cure, a lot of people will lose jobs, companies will go bankrupt. Corporate pharmaceutical companies is just politics, a lot of greed, conspiracies and of course, driven by money. If they provide a cure, cycle will eventually stop, money will slow down. There are almost 2000 kinds of dry eye related eye drops in the world, if they somehow create a cure, half of these drops will be gone. These lasik clinics most of the time would tell you you're a good candidate even though you're not, 3500$ for less than 30min work, no need to argue about that and after all you signed a waiver, telling you that if they make a mistake, you can't sue them. I wish I could back time or wish that someone had stopped me. God bless all

Comment

Originally posted by vinnieblanco View Post
                        I have clogged glands and also losing lashes. I was told by the last doctor I saw that I have inflammation on my eye lids.

These lasik clinics most of the time would tell you you're a good candidate even though you're not, 3500$ for less than 30min work, no need to argue about that and after all you signed a waiver, telling you that if they make a mistake, you can't sue them. I wish I could back time or wish that someone had stopped me. God bless all
                        My lashes fall out all the time. There are a few causes. One is Hashimoto's hypothyroidism - hair falls out including lashes. The other is demodex mites. Inflamed glands are another cause. It might help to investigate the cause or causes in your lashes falling out so that you can treat the underlying condition if it has evolved into more than just a side effect of the PRK procedure.

I am not suggesting that everyone should sue their providers and medical malpractice law suits can be difficult to undertake and win, but if you can make a good case, then the signing of the paper will not hold up in court, at least not if you are in the US. You'll need to find a good attorney who can make a consent case or some form of malpractice.

For example, the following is from The Law of Healthcare Administration, Fifth Edition, by J. Stuart Showalter, p. 245. This is a graduate-level text book on health care law.

"Even when a written consent is obtained, subsequent proof by the patient that he lacked a basic understanding of what in fact took place may negate the written consent."

Comment

Thanks NotDryEye for your input

Comment

my lashes fall out as well-my docs tell me it is from mgd... and normal.

Comment

I wonder if they grow back when your mgd subsides. One of the hardest part of mgd is when you lashes gets into your eyes after shower or lid scrubs. They're hard to get out of the eyes. I wonder sometimes why the docs insist you do scrubs< but sometimes it actually pulls your lashes off. What's there to clean when you barely have any lashes anymore. HEH

Comment

Working...
                              X