Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My simple evolving solution. And theory.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My simple evolving solution. And theory.

I've had dry eye for 13 years.

Solutions come and go, or perhaps evolve, so this is my current stage of "what works".

NOTE: Fish Oil never worked for me, not even at earlier stages of dry eye. Neither did Krill Oil. Neither did "vitamins". I lost faith in the idea of supplements entirely.

However, after healing my stomach through a Japanese supplement I found on the Internet, my faith was rekindled.

I discovered Astaxanthin, and the first few days with it were miraculous. For a few hours, my eyes felt... they no longer "felt"! My monitor was just this harmless display now, a surface with letters on it, as opposed to a minefield my eyes have to run through!

After a week, however, this effect went away.

But I noticed something. When I woke up with inflamed eyes, taking Astaxanthin with food would "deflame" them. They would remain dry, but no longer inflamed.

This lead to my current formula, which is very simple.

==================================
    After breakfast: one capsule of Nutrigold Astaxanthin (4mg), and two capsules of Maxi Tears.
    After dinner: same
    After supper: one capsule of Nutrigold Astaxanthin(4mg) only (because Maxi Tears dosage says 4 capsules per day, and I don't want the oils in it to thin my blood)
    ==================================

Astaxanthin deflames. Maxi Tears makes tearfilm. It's a two-ingredient solution.

Today I looked at my cellphone for 30 minutes, and my eyes didn't explode. It was rather incredible.

Astaxanthin does a far better job of deflaming than taking dangerously high quantities of vitamins. It is the world's most powerful antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory agent which targets the eyes.

Curiously, using BioTears didn't have the same effect as Maxi Tears, despite them having very similar ingredient list.

I believe that the Borage Oil in Maxi Tears is key. Black Currant Seed Oil in BioTears also delivers GLA, but it appears ineffective.

Now I am trying to replace Maxi Tears with Borage Oil to maximize results. However, if this doesn't work, it means that it's another, different ingredient, or perhaps my eyes really DO require the entire Omega3-6 complex in Maxi Tears.

The research continues. But it's encouraging to see things that work, and that my eyes can be affected by pills. It's a hopeful feeling.
    Last edited by jack_bristow; 20-Nov-2013, 03:52.

Glad you've had some improvement. It's so encouraging to find a natural supplement that works.

I'd like to try Astaxanthin but it isn't recommended for people with an autoimmune condition and I still don't know if I have one or not.

Comment

Meanwhile you could try Maxi Tears by themselves and see what happens. Maybe you don't have inflammation but only a lack of ability to generate tear film.

Comment

I am considering ordering these, they have pretty good reviews. Do you still have to use over the counter tears?

Comment

jack just wondering in addition to the pills do you also do compresses, lid wipes, or any other regimen? thanks

Comment

Hi Jack,
            Going to try Maxi Tears. I hadn't heard of them, so we'll see how they do. Thanks and glad you are feeling better.

Comment

I used to do hot compresses but they didn't give enough relief.

When using computers I am forced to wear swimming goggles to preserve moisture. They worked well for several years, but after recent gastritis problems, it's gotten worse, and I shifted partially to artificial tears PLUS the goggles.

As I am typing this now, my goggles have fogged up, which is always a good sign. Yesterday I switched to Astaxanthin+Borage Oil 1000mg regimen, and it appears to be working, though I'm not yet sure if Borage Oil is better than Maxi Tears.

Comment

can you please tell what help you heal your stomach?

Comment

Pepzin GI (zinc carnosine). It is a miraculous supplement that has been in widespread use in Japan since 1994, and in America nobody knows about it. It can be bought on Amazon - "Dr's Best" brand works best for me.

Despite being on Zantac for a number of months, I've had ups and downs with my gastritis until I started taking this thing. It pulled me out of a hole. It acts like a bandaid for the stomach, and is completely harmless as long as you keep it to 8 or less capsules a day as to avoid overdosing on the zinc component.

There are medical studies proving its effectiveness, and the fact that it speeds up healing of stomach lining by 300%.

Comment

Jack- how long has this regiment been working for you?

Comment

It's been about a week. In this period I haven't woken up with dry eyes, which usually dictates how the rest of the day goes. Astaxanthin alone would've stopped working by now.

Borage Oil appears to be effective too, but seems less than Maxi Tears. Still undecided.

Comment

Update: Definitely, Maxi Tears are working better than Borage Oil alone. Maybe it's the Mucin Complex in them... the mystery continues.

Comment

Good luck with that! I'm watching and hoping for you to be a least here in the forum and go enjoy life!
                          I'll buy these supplements

Comment

Thank you.

After 10 days it appears I've developed resistance to this formula just as I developed resistance to Astaxanthin alone.
                            Since I accumulated a dozen different eye supplements by now, I tried something else - combining Astaxanthin with (Zeaxanthin+Lutein) supplement.

It worked.

I started doing more research into Zeaxanthin and found the AREDS 2 formula, which was finalized in 2013. It's the only formula clinically proven to battle macular degeneration. Although I hopefully don't have that condition, as far as I'm concerned, it is the only formula clinically proven to improve SOMETHING in the eye.

Interestingly, the results of this formula coincide with my findings - fish oil doesn't really do anything. So they dropped it from the test formula.

So I ordered it (Bausch&Lomb PreserVision AREDS 2), will have it on Monday.

Comment

Most things I try here, stop to take effect in a week or two, unfortunately.

I think if we use the supplement and take a break, we have a result in a future intake.
                              Finding 2 or more supplements that work, then take it in turns.

I'm doing this with steroid eye drops. I use a drop or two a day and I get no use for two days. At the end of the second day, the eye is already bad again, but on the third day, I use the drops and he gets good again.

I tried to use for a whole week, and he stopped to take effect.

Just thinking about a solution here!

Comment

Working...
                              X