Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L8rgator, thank you very much for your informative posts. I wonder if your prescription has changed due to sclerals or there was another reason for that?

Comment

• My prescription change was due to aging. I previously did not use a scleral in my right eye, but both eyes changed (needed more correction) at the same rate so I am certain it wasn't related to the scleral lens.

You can order a spare at any time - so you don't need to travel home with one. My first lens had no vision correction (as per my request - I wanted to be able to wear my same glasses over it). Then I ordered a spare a few months later with my prescription in it, and got a soft lens for the other eye (from walmart). I'd recommend getting the prescription version (first) through, just so that Dr. G can check the prescription with the new lens in and make sure it's optimal. I personally bought a few spares last year, so I could keep one in my car and my bike in case of emergencies - like if my soft lens went wonky and I needed to switch to glasses. Now I think I just like to have one spare - one that I can carry around and if I get grass or dirt in my eye, or fingerprints on my lens, I can just switch to the clean. You'd be surprised at how hard it is to find hand soap without oils and scents when you are away from home.
      and Clearcare does a great job, but takes 6 hours to work so not really something you can use "in a pinch" to clean the lens you are already wearing.

Dr G said to store my emergency lens dry, but I need to ask him if I can just wet it and use it in a pinch - or if it needs to soak first. Right now it's warm out so I'm just storing it wet.

Without the scleral in, my eye goes far beyond bad. It is NEVER good, or even acceptable with drops + no scleral. It is absolutely horrible. Unless of course I seal it with a wet waterproof bandage. Which I did 24-7 to maintain my sanity. My left produces no automatic tears - so on it's own there were never good days. With a bandage on, I didn't go in public or even to family and friends unless I had to. And not being able to rub or scratch under an itchy bandage made me crazy. Over time the misery built up, and I got very very depressed. With my lens I feel relief. I don't worry about permanent damage being done by dry eye. I am not perpetually distracted, and I can forget about my eye and just do things.

I hope that since you have good and bad days, that maybe the lens will be even better for you. My previous fitting was early in the year, while it was still cold out. I did like to wear moisture chambers (motorcycle glasses mostly) over that lens often that spring and during late fall/winter. It was simply more comfortable. But I could take them off to do a few hours of shopping or whatnot and be fine. If I went all day without any moisture chambers (especially walking dogs outside), I'd get that cool menthol feeling around the outer sclera. Not really painful, but distracting and annoying. I assume that will be the case again when the seasons change. The lens is not a perfect solution. But the immense relief I feel now in indescribable.

I really hope you have good luck with it!

Comment

• L8rgator, thanks a lot for your response! I am very sorry to hear about issues with your left eye.
        As per preparing the emergency lens Dr.G told me to put them dry in ClearCare and store them for 6 hours. But it would be really great if it is really possible to just wet it and put on. I wonder if Dr.G will not have an objection to it when you ask him.
        Do you wear the lens every day? I am sorry if I miss if you've already advised that.
        Last edited by skazak; 22-Jun-2015, 22:30.

Comment

• L8rgator...why did Gemoulos recommend you store your scleral dry? Is it to avoid any moss grown on it?
          Last edited by DCRdryeye; 23-Jun-2015, 18:33.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
            L8rgator...why did Gemoulos recommend you store your scleral dry? Is it to avoid any moss grown on it?

so I don't forget it in my car and freeze it again

Comment

• I wear both lenses every day. usually for about 15 hours.

Comment

• L8rgator: glad to see things have worked out well for you with the lenses. I still haven't tried the lenses. 50/50 serum has worked fine for me. I first traveled to UIC in November 2014. Then again in April 2015. I will be going back again because my eyes do feel better when I'm on the serum. Have you tried serum yet?

Comment

• Not yet. I don't think I should drive after getting that much blood drawn, and haven't been able to find anyone to drive me when the clinics are open (it's quite a long drive, and quite limited available hours). And actually my eyes have been doing terrific with my sclerals with this weather, so I haven't really thought about it in a while.

Comment

• I'm still working through this thread, but am considering this and had a few questions. I only have moderate dry eye (enough to rule out normal RGP lenses in my dry climate) and I'm mostly interested in correcting high astigmatism and some other problems. I've been in touch with DrG and he thinks I'm a decent candidate. My questions are (1) what is the "plan" normally regarding return visits? Prescriptions change, so the lenses will eventually go stale I think. Also, it will be strange to go to my normal glasses doc (for backup glasses or maybe just a checkup) and have to explain the whole situation. How do you handle that? (2) I understand the lenses have to be rotated the right way. Can anyone elaborate? My experience with toric contacts has been terrible; they rotate all over and the vision is horrible if they aren't lined up just right. How do these deal with those problems? Finally, how long did you guys need to stay? I was really hoping to only miss 5 days of work. Plus killing time in a hotel alone over a weekend would be an extra drag. I'll have to go out there myself because the kids will be in school. Thanks.

Comment

• >> I'm mostly interested in correcting high astigmatism and some other problems.

These lenses are awesome for that. Nobody else can duplicate the processed used by Dr. G to make those types of corrections.

I was hesitant to let Dr. G put any even basic astigmatism correction into my lenses because every time I got it in glasses I couldn’t wear them. My husband has the same problem. Headaches, and feeling dizzy because of the way everything was warped. Many doctors over decades forced us to try again, but every time we ended up trading in because they wouldn’t work. Apparently this was just for glasses, because after lots of gentle encouragement on my latest trip I finally let him put the correction into my lens on like the 3rd fitting day. Everything was crystal clear. My frequent headaches have actually gotten noticeably less severe. And honestly now without my lenses I feel blind. I seriously don’t know how I managed with glasses for so long. I felt quite wasteful and guilty getting one for my right eye (which has NO moisture problems whatsoever), but I can’t get around the fact that for me it was totally worth it to see so clearly.

>>I've been in touch with DrG and he thinks I'm a decent candidate.

He would definitely tell you if you weren't. He doesn't sugar coat it. He told me the concerns he had for my situation.

>> My questions are (1) what is the "plan" normally regarding return visits?

For me there was no "plan", or suggestions other than see your other doctors for checkups regularly as you did before the lens.

>>Prescriptions change, so the lenses will eventually go stale I think.

This is really a question best answered by Dr G - don't be afraid to ask him. He usually charges for time (so any modification to the design takes computer time and can come with a fee) as well as the cost of the lens. I started out with a non-corrective lens, and then decided to get one a few months later with correction. I went to walmart to get the prescription, and had them fax it to Dr. G. He will make simple prescription changes if you have a doctor locally who will work with you.

An exact duplicate of a lens only incurs the lens fee (and actual shipping charge), so if you damage a lens it's a simple fix.

If for some reason your eye changes shape or you are having other unusual issues, a return trip may be warranted. Unfortunately, it's impossible to predict if that will happen or not. I can say for me knowing what I know now, it was totally worth the risk. But I also totally understand your hesitation because I was in that EXACT same boat right up to the day I got my first lens to wear around town. Maybe ask Dr G how many patients he sees return, and if there are ones what their issues or new needs seem to be??

>>Also, it will be strange to go to my normal glasses doc (for backup glasses or maybe just a checkup) and have to explain the whole situation. How do you handle that?

I find most eye doctors have absolutely no clue what is a scleral is. I bring one of my first day lenses along (the ones that were part of the fitting process that I kept as souveniers) to show them. I gave one to my eye surgeon so he could show his colleagues. So generally they are interested to learn something new. For me they haven't been scared of it, or unwilling to work around it. Just interested, and willing to help. I do have to remind the doctors assistants that I have the lens in and ask if something is appropriate (like if they really want to put fluorescein drops over the lens, or if they want to use a certain piece of equipment with my lens in or out). So I just ask lots more questions than I used to. And I have pretty much memorized my explanation of a scleral now. But that is partially because I had an obvious eye injury so friends and family (and clients, and people at the grocery store and tacobell, etc) ask how it’s doing so I have to do the quick overview summary of how my eye will not heal any more than it has, but how a scleral has changed my world . My advice: learn about the lens on dr g’s site and other sites. Then don’t be afraid to ask Dr. G lots of questions as you get the lens made, because it makes it a lot easier to explain to people (especially doctors) if you know what you are talking about. And if you get a souvenir, mark it with a marker (so you don’t accidentally wear it!) and bring it with you to appointments so people can see and handle it without you having to take yours off.

>>(2) I understand the lenses have to be rotated the right way. Can anyone elaborate? My experience with toric contacts has been terrible; they rotate all over and the vision is horrible if they aren't lined up just right. How do these deal with those problems?

Another question for Dr G, but from my experience these are self-righting and there are no problems with rotating. They are custom fitted to the exact surface of the eye, so they do not want to move at all once in place. and you only need to get it placed in the general direction when inserting them - they self-right to the correct position immediately. If I actually try to rotate mine (just tested with a finger), they really don't want to. Maybe this would be more of a problem if your eye was perfectly symmetrical, but I think that is very unlikely (not an eye doctor, so could be wrong!).

>>Finally, how long did you guys need to stay?
                      Almost always is 1 week. Complex cases might require adding additional days, but I don't know if I've heard of anyone personally that had to do that yet. I would definitely plan for 5 days. This was one of my biggest worries also. I would not have been able to find coverage for my job for additional days. But Dr. G works very had to get you done right as early as possible. My first trip I was easily done in 4 days and could have bought a plane ticket and left early. But I was really enjoying the time away, so my husband said "no, stay" . This latest time I brought my husband along. We had a lot of fun. Too bad you can't take your family along. It is actually a nice place to visit, with quite a few activities located within like 3-20 miles. But by yourself you can walk to the mall, or go to the aquariums and zoos. Although I hear Texas is pretty hot in summer, so maybe walking isn't a very exciting option this time of year.

Do note- Officially the office is on Wednesdays. They DO bring in their scleral patients to fit lenses. However they DON'T do the first day (all the measurements and scanning) on Wednesdays so plan your trip to start on a different day. You can leave on the 5th day after your appointment, so hotel may only need to be for 4 or 5 total days depending on when you fly in.

Comment

• Thanks l8r.

Regarding return visits and continued care, wouldn't you be concerned about the fit of the lenses after several years? In particular, related to ensuring your eyes stay healthy and are not compromised because the lenses get "tight" or something like that. Or do you think you can tell that? There are actually a lot of docs around here who claim to do sclerals. It would seem possible to have one of them at least check annually for obvious issues, though I don't know if they'd be offended. I'm actually in a dilemma now because I just started seeing a doc recently about sclerals (right before I learned about laserfit). She tried hybrids on me first, which are okay but the vision isn't good enough, so next step would be the standard trial lens type scelerals. Funny that with something as important as my vision, I'm worried about the social awkwardness of breaking ties with this person if I go with DrG. I have infinitely more confidence in DrG, but the commitment is much more too.

Did you try regular sclerals before the laserfits? I tried them once a long time ago, but the doc had little experience. They were not comfortable, and hard to get out. I had a red ring on the white of my eye where it got suctioned during removal. So I guess I don't know what's possible with the more old fashioned technology. But then, why mess around with something so important? That's what I keep coming back to. Odds are I'll be heading to Texas soon.

Comment

• L8rgator I have been wearing scelra since Dec 2014 (due to dry eye and irregularies in my cornea from lasik in 2005). They are great but lately my right eye has been getting really dry.
                          So I think i need to find a good rewetting drop for when it gets dry. Do you use Blink for contacts ? My dr suggested Refresh Optive for sensitive eyes but U cannot find that here in
                          Louisville Ky anymore. Then he suggested Systane Ultra which is too think. he also suggested Unisil 4 to rewet them. I was wondering how the BLINK drops work for you ?
                          Thank you Andrea

Comment

• I use blink rewetting for contacts. I don't really like the other two because my eye doesn't do as well. I also sometimes just use my saline vials for drops. I'm not enthusiastic about Blink. they are not thick at all, so do evaporate quickly. But I haveing found any other options. I want to try blood serum drops someday - it sounds promising.

Comment

• Andre Pereira, tealeaf, miki-mama, any update on your trip to Dr Gemoules ? i also have the High order abberation (glare halos) after lasik. been emailing back and forth with Dr G. has been very nice and informative but still unsure becouse the trip is half of the world. very far. any update will be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by cemong82 View Post
                                Andre Pereira, tealeaf, miki-mama, any update on your trip to Dr Gemoules ? i also have the High order abberation (glare halos) after lasik. been emailing back and forth with Dr G. has been very nice and informative but still unsure becouse the trip is half of the world. very far. any update will be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
                                I, too, would love to hear an update from you guys/gals. I have read all 12 pages of this thread, and I'm very much appreciative of the information you all have shared. Andre did kinda leave us hanging, though. ; )

I am post LASIK X2, and am also post cataract surgery in both eyes. Prior to the cataract surgery (I'm one week post-op on the right eye, and just one day on the left), my surgeon told me that my eyes were most likely too dry to wear soft contacts. RGP's are off the table, as I wore those years ago, and refuse to go through that nightmare again.

So now I'm investigating sclerals for the purpose of treating dry eyes, as well as intermediate and near vision correction. I sent off an initial inquiry to Dr. G just a few minutes ago. I'm hoping to find out how long I'll need to wait after cataract surgery to start the scleral lens fitting process.

L8rgator, thank you so much for the videos! They are very informative.

I'm hoping that a lack of posts in this thread means that all of you are doing well with your Dr. G lenses...

Comment

Working...
                                X