A success story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Miche84

I gladly answer your question. I use the spay in the morning and in the evening before going to bed. I spray the liquid about 4 times onto a cotton pad and then wipe along the eyelash line several times with my eyes closed. I’ve tried using a q tip sprayed with Natrasan and wiping along the eyelid margins but found that very uncomfortable. I think when choosing a product it is important to bear in mind that only Avenova and Natrasan First Aid spray do not contain preservatives. Also, there is an issue with how long the spays stay effective. The effectiveness of Natasan has been certified for a period exceeding one year. Though, I have not heard of HyClear until now, and do not know if it contains a preservative. Hope that is useful.

Comment

Hi hannsho,
      Thanks so much for your detailed reply! HyClear is quite new and only available through optometerists offices. My eye doc said its a super pure and stable form of hypochlorus acid and the only other ingredient is saline, so its preservative free too! Though if it doesnt clear things up soon, perhaps I'll try Natasan. I hadn't heard of that one until I read your post.

Do you do other home care therapies to help alleviate your sings and symptoms? Interestingly, my eyelid margins themselves always look pretty darn good with very little redness .My issue is a lot of redness on the backside of my lower eye lids. Have you dealt with this and has the HOCL helped with this for you? Other than that my main and very maddening symptom is chronic itching!

oh and one other question: I've always wondered how hypochlorus acid products can help with MGD/blepharitis when it is usually applied to the closed eye....doesn't that prevent the product from getting onto the openings of the meibomian glands? And furthermore....what about beyond the surface/openings of the glands but further down into the glands? I am so happy to hear this Natrasan has worked for you and others, but I've always wondered how spraying just on the surface of closed eyes gets the acid where it needs to go....I'd love to hear your thoughts on this...THanks!

EDIT: I just found out that HyClear has sodium hypochlorite. I'm surprised my doctor recommended it. Is there confirmed evidence of sodium hypochlorite in lid sprays being bad for the eyes? I will be stopping that promptly and getting Heyedrate again (which I think is the closest to Natrasan and Avenova).
      Last edited by miche84; 15-Apr-2019, 23:55.

Comment

Hi Miche84,

Regarding your question if I used any homecare methods to treat my eye condition, yes, I used the eye compress 'Eye Bag' on a daily basis. However, I stopped doing this since I felt it was no longer necessary or useful. One of the major problems with MGD are bacteria that feed on the deteriorated meibum that concentrates on your eyelid margins. When you wipe a cotton pad sprayed with HOCL (Natrasan) along the eyelash-line, this seems to be enough to eliminate the excess bacteria on the eyelid margins. This appears to be the primary curative action of HOCL (though not the only one). One of my major problems was also redness of the interior of my lower eyelids. This redness is now considerably less. The improvement probably occurred when used Restasis, but that improvement has been maintained with the help of Natrasan. As regards how HOCL could improvement of the redness on the inside of eye lids, I think what Dr. Arthur B Epstien said offers a possible explanation "as the meibum becomes thicker and saturated it promotes increases in bacteria on the eye lid leading to overpopulation. Bacteria produce a number of inflammatory proteins to combat each other, which can inflame the host tissue" (i.e. eye lids.) The itching of my eyelids has almost completely stopped, and I hope that Natrasan will at least bring you relief from this annoying problem. Good luck!
        Last edited by hannsho; 16-Apr-2019, 01:45.

Comment

Pull your lower lid down and make sure to get the lower lash line. Just closing your eyes and rubbing across will only really clean the top lid. After you do that, pull the lower lid down off the eyeball. And go across that lower lash line a few times. You’ll notice even more benefit.

Comment

Will this product work?
            https://www.amazon.com/CleanSmart-Nu...gateway&sr=8-7

Comment

Hi Raven93
              No, I'm sorry this product is not at all suitable. I think it would be quite dangerous to get this anywhere near your eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by hannsho View Post
                How, thanks for you comment. I’m not sure how helpful HOCLE is to deal with demodex, I have read conflicting reports. Also, don’t’ forget that I use Natrasan First Aid Spray as a form of maintenance treatment. The real curative effect was brought about by Restasis and the spray just helped me to prevent the situation from deteriorating again. When you do use the spray, sprayed on a cotton disc, wipe the disc along your eyelash line of your closed eyes several times and later also over your eyebrow. That might be beneficial in case you have demodex. I hope the spray works for you. Let me know how you’re getting on and good luck.

PS: I also suffered from lash loss.
                I don't know how I missed your comment but I did...Thanks for the help hannsho. I still haven't figured out what's causing the eyebrow loss, though was told some of the lash loss could be from blepharitis. I'm trying hypochlorous acid now, also trying cliradex in case it is demodex. I am going to have to argue for Restasis too I think as I just can't seem to get one part of my eye to stop looking so inflamed. Hope things are still going well with you!

Comment

How,

Thanks for your message. I hope you manage to get the situation under control, I know from experience when your eye looks red one just doesn’t feel right.

Comment

Hi Hannsho.
                    Just wondering how long you feel it took Natrasan to start to make a difference?

Comment

Where I live is impossible to find an HOCL product for eyes, and I don't want to buy this kind of product online because I'm worried about the transport conditions with summer temperatures.
                      Currently I'm using a spray for eyelids containing Sodium Hypochlorite (ingredients: Aqua, Sodium Hypochlorite, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Phosphate, Hydrochloric Acid).
                      I can't say if it is helping, but it is the only solution for now.

Comment

hannsho
                        I hope you are still doing well, I’m just curious about the NAC ingredient found in Restasis. I looked for it on the box and I couldn’t find it. Can you please give me some more advise, and why you stopped Restasis even though it was helping you? I’m supposed to start Restasis soon.
                        Thank you so much!
                        kind regards, Heidi

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi dry eye patient View Post
                          hannsho
                          I hope you are still doing well, I’m just curious about the NAC ingredient found in Restasis. I looked for it on the box and I couldn’t find it. Can you please give me some more advise, and why you stopped Restasis even though it was helping you? I’m supposed to start Restasis soon.
                          Thank you so much!
                          kind regards, Heidi
                          I asked him the same question, and this is his answer:
                          Hi Gilles

Firstly, please accept my apologies for not responding earlier. My eye problem has been cured for all intents and purposes and I fell into the bad habit of not checking into the Forum regularly. I’m not surprise that you are confuse. I meant to say BAK (benzalkonium chloride)and not NAC. Restasis is excellent and my opinion and so are cyclosporine eye drops. The problem with the cyclosporine eyedrops that were prepared for me, and which caused me to stop using them, was that they contained ‘BAK’. I hope this answers your question.

Comment

Originally posted by hannsho View Post
                            I’m glad to be able to report that my eye condition has been bought completely under control, so much so, that I almost regard it as problem of the past. All that I do now, is to use Natrasan First Aid Spray, which is hypochlorous acid, to clean my eyelids in the morning and in the evening. I still have to use artificial tears, but in comparison to all the problem I had in the past, that is next to nothing. I also take one table spoon of flaxseed oil every day and one effervescent tablet of 600 mg acetylcysteine dissolved in half a glass of water daily. However, the past was very different.
                            Basically, the underlying problem of my symptoms is ocular rosacea that led to chronic inflammation of my eyelids, causing meibomian gland deficiency and superficial ocular hyperemia. I frequently experienced a foreign body sensation, stinging in my eyes or itchy eyelids. My eyes frequently went red. I had to use eyedrops containing a powerful corticosteroid almost continuously to control the situation. But only about 3 to 5 days after a treatment had finished, my eyes would go red again and I had to use another round of treatment. I also used 40mg doxycycline for 6 months without any success.
                            During the worst period, March 2017, I had trouble opening my eyelids in the morning, which was associated with pain and photosensitivity – then I thought this would never get any better! I believe an improvement came about using Restasis eyedrops, which I used for about 4 months. After that I continue for another 2 months with cyclosporine eyedrops made up by a specialized pharmacy. My intention was to use these drops indefinitely, until I found out that they contained NAC. Fortunately, via this forum I knew that NAC could be potentially very harmful, and I immediately stopped using the eyedrops. I discovered the solution to control my eye problem participating in chats in this forum. Particularly, I am grateful to MGD 1701, who told me about the Natrasan First Aid Spray and was kind enough to tell me about his experience with the spray. I think that it is quite possible that without the Dry Eye forum, I would still be doing battle with red eyes. My motive for writing this is to thank those who have provided me with advice, to emphasize how important it can be to participate in a forum like this and to offer hope to those that are near despair. I have been there, but improvements can unexpectedly occur, perhaps via a treatment you had not previously heard of – hope, I can testify, is always justified!
                            I see occusoft has a product with hypochlorous acid but is much more expensive, Is Natrasan totally safe to use for the eyes? Also you mentioned NAC is potentially dangerous, I had not heard that, could you explain? As i've been looking into oral NAC and NAC eyedrops lately to control inflammation.

Comment

gilles thank you so much for the information!!! Did he mention anything about the short term use of Restasis versus long term? According to the literature, it’s intended for long term use but in his situation he only used it for 4 months. I would be afraid to stop using it if I feel some relief with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi dry eye patient View Post
                                hannsho
                                Thank you so much!
                                kind regards, Heidi
                                Hello friends ! myself i just could not do do Restasis ..it gave me redness unbelievable ...? do you think it is BAK ? NAC is very safe i think hannsho did typo ...also do you know where to locate NAC eye drops with no preservative ?

Comment

Working...
                                X