Cornea clinic in GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornea clinic in GB

I'm from GB and just want to encourage other readers under the NHS to try to get into a "corneal "clinic in a good hospital - the larger the eye department the better facilities and specialization.
    I cant describe the relief it has been to me to know i am being supervised and monitored - previously i had had to resort to self-treatment and felt unsure and scared at times
    I had gone privately and paid £100 to see an ophthalmologist who diagnosed blepharitis and instructed my GP to give me a course of steroids which i could not take because they contained the dreaded BAK - but there was no follow-up and i cant afford £100 a time to see him
    When you get into a clinic you can request a follow up but i did'nt have to do this - i was offered it in 6 months
    I intend to remain in that clinic ,as hopefully i try various things for my DE like plugs ,even cyclosporin which i was told WAS anailable to me
    So -go for it, get your GP to refer you to a CLINIC so you can get the supervison required

Hi Stella

Could you tell me which clinic you are attending and how you got your foot in the door please (my GP is a joke)

Thanks

EllMitcho
    The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

I will send you a pm to let you know my area and hospital - for reasons of preserving anonymity.
      Firstly ,you do need a GP who will work with you
      Are you in a practice with several doctors ?
      Try to find one who is prepared to refer you (after you have done some research ) to the hospital of your choice
      There is bound to be a large hospital with an eye department in your
      area ,or better still an eye hospital
      Find out which of their consultants has a special interest in the cornea,or better still in occular surface disorders or tear film disorder
      Then ask if they have a clinic and then go to your GP with that info and ask him/her to refer you.To get this info you will have to phone the hospital - try the secretaries of some of the eye consultants /or your local optician may know
      I have a very good relationship with my GP and she wrote a pretty comprehensive letter explaining that i had researched the whole problem of DE and was treating myself from the internet and needed supervision
      What happened with me was - the letter was assessed with lots of other letters - I was graded according to urgency -I had to wait several months -and then i was offered an appointment specifically at a "corneal clinic" which deals amougst other conditions ,with dry eye
      Maybe i was just lucky
      Anyway all the best

Comment

Would you mind sending me the details of your clinic too? I live in Northern Ireland and as we have no large eye hospital, my GP should be able to refer me to the mainland to a eye hospital.

Many thanks

Laura

Comment

Hi - just to add to this. My doc is useless but I got my optometrist to write a letter to my doc recommending a referral to our local consultant (who my optometrist is sure is the 'main man' for corneal dysfunction)

I will have to pay for private treatment but at least I know I am in safe(ish) hands!

EllMitcho
          The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

When you see this corneal expert you could ask to be transfered as an NHS patient for subsequent follow ups. INSIST on follow ups - tell him if he does'nt moniter your progress you will have to resort to self treatment from the internet
            Also - going privately for your first visit will speed things up considerably
            All the best

Comment

Working...
            X