Significant Improvement with Office Humidifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Significant Improvement with Office Humidifier

I believe working on the computer for 8 hours a day has made my dry eyes much worse. The other day I finally found a small humidifier I can use at my desk. I know not to get excited about anything after two days, but I have this thing misting right in front of me and I believe it is making a significant difference. My eyes don't seem to hurt much at all. In fact for me humidifiers in general have probably done more for me than any other treatment. That includes restasis, plugs, and over the counter drops. A friend found this on QVC, but I also found them here:

http://www.gnc.com/sm-pearlessence-s...i-2486334.html

I am going to continue to use it and if it keeps working I am going to buy one for all my family and friends. They may not want to use a big humidifier, but I believe all of them would be willing to put this in their house (and I will sit right next to it ). With oils it is supposed to be a great air freshner as well. It is also nearly silent and doesn't take much water which is important because you almost have to use distilled water for these. When I had a bigger one I tried using regular water and it quit working within a month.

I will say when I first got it out and tried it, nothing happened. I was getting ready to call customer service, but I messed with the water sensor a bit and it seems to be working great now.

Soon I have to move from an office to a cubicle, which I dread because of the air and the lighting. I was afraid I would not be able to find a humidifier I could use there, but they will let me use this one (rules say they will accomodate things that are: reasonable and necessary). I will let you know in a few weeks if it is still working for me.

Originally posted by Filazafer
    Soon I have to move from an office to a cubicle, which I dread because of the air and the lighting.
    I dont wan't to sound too pessimistic here but I work in a cube...tried a small humidifier and I don't think it made a bit of difference. I have MG issues and humidity levels are a huge comfort factor, but the open atmosphere of the cube made it useless.

The interesting thing I got from it was that, via the vapor stream, I could see how much the air was moving in my cube. Sometimes it would go out of the humidifier and go straight left, other times straight right, other times just kind of up and away (based on the heat or ac on/off im assuming). I suppose I could have stuck it about 6 inches from my face...but that might be a little too weird with others walking around. It was somewhat odd as it was, once I had a coworker freak out thinking my computer was on fire seeing the (smoke) vapor. That was rather comical!

Daren
    Last edited by bassfan; 22-Dec-2007, 11:25.

Comment

Yeah, I can imagine

Well, thanks for bringing me down Yeah, I am not looking forward to it, but I can say that I will stick it right in front of my face, I don't care what people think. It can't be as bad as wearing sun glasses at work, which I've done. I also don't think the humidifier may be the only thing that is helping. It is hard to tell when you are trying 10 things at once. I also recently quit restasis for the second time and have been doing a lot more compresses.

And if all else fails I will just have to find a different job. Done that before too.

Comment

That's good news that it did help being right in front of you. I had ordered a small one a month ago and look forward to trying it for when I am able to sit down near it. Can get really uncomfortable in sinus area also with such dry air also. Relief to breathing just walking outdoors even when humidity not so high out there either. Unfortunately can only rarely do that at work. Supposedly one I ordered can be used in a car also so could be nice on long cold trips with heat running incessantly. Hopefully not just a quirky short-lived gadget.
        It does help being diligent about the humidity in my house especially in winter. I use the Venta Airwasher at home and it's great since no filter but the water you put in it. Expensive but I've had this one for 3 years and no problems, no filters to buy or wash. Helps me also to frequently simmer soups or just pans of water on stove when temps dip to brutal cold and heat running constantly and outside humidity also low.
        Best would be to move to a temperate rain forest area I guess.

Comment

Good luck with the new humidifier and with the move to a cubicle. I'm in an cubicle and have one that sits on the floor right next to my chair. I try to position it so that the steam blows close to my face. I've only recently started it up this year as I've been struggling, and haven't seen a difference yet. I know that the humidity in my workplace is pretty low, so I figure it can't hurt to try. I have also had people think something was on fire at my desk...haha. Good luck, and I hope it continues to help!

-Shells

Comment

Working...
          X