Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long road, hope at the end

Hi Everyone-

I havent been on here for a long time because I had a total meltdown- depressive downward dehabilitating spiral that resulted in my father coming to stay with me and me seeing a mass amount of doctors. I'd like to share my experiences because they may help others. I will try to be as brief as I can, but a lot has happened. I apologize for the legnth of this post.

The trigger seemed to be me isolating myself and always researching about how to help my eyes. I never went out and felt so awful about my situation and had thoughts of it never getting better. I started to not get out of bed- family got worried- suicidal thoughts were passing through my head and I went to a psychiatrist and was put on a med that made me feel even worse. I had lost 9 pounds and felt like I was withering away. My family took me to an alternative doc and a massive amount of tests were run.

In the meantime I was dragging myself out of bed because I was so depressed and anxious. Still, I had an eye appointment to go to and brought my father. I was so tense and worried to go because I had been crying some of the day and had worked in the office (awful air) and thought that my eyes would be even worse than the previous visit and that would put me over the edge. My very caring and great eye doctor spent an hour with us (who has always been very straight forward with me) ran a test to see if the psych meds were affecting my eyes (I was on Xanax, Prestiq, and ambien) and the result was that I was making more than the average amount of tears. He said that my Rose Bengal was great, "not a cell on my eyes was out of place" and that my TBUT was an 8 (a year ago I was a 3, a month or so ago I was at 5 or 6-ish). When I heard "tear break up time is 8" I wanted to jump up and down- it was better than winning the lottery (well close at least). Bottom line, I am making progress- albeit slooowww, but progress. Also, my eyes are in good overall health but I still have annoying Blepharitis/MGD (not a threat to my eye health at this point just painful/irritating). The eye doc also mentioned mild conjunctival chalasis but stated that he was certain my pain was from the Bleph/Mgd. He put me on a month of Azasite and instructed me to keep on with my routine. Most importantly he instructed me to try to live my life and try to not worry- things are not going to get worse and likely will continue to get better. The news was like a switch, all of a sudden I had hope. The next day I switched to a different antidepressant which also has helped.

Next, I was very reluctant and skeptical about seeing an alternative doctor but my family dragged me to one. The next week my results came back from the alternative medicine doctor and he found that I am very highly intolerant of eggs and that they could be producing inflammation in my body. Also, I am moderately intolerant to wheat and dairy. All else is ok (fructose, nuts, veggies, fruit, coffee-thank goodness). Also, an environmental toxin test was run and I have some toxins from plastic and am instructed to not drink from or eat from plastic containers (the toxins affect cell membranes he said). Im avoiding all of the above.

Bottom line that I am hoping can help others who feel doomed. Emotions can play a role in this. Now, I am fighting to move on and not make this "condition" my whole life. I realize that my emotions have played a big role in not being able to feel the progress I have made. Overall now I am feeling a great deal of relief in my right eye (rarely dry) but my left is still a problem (darn!). If my left were like my right I would consider myself "cured". There are times when the left feels a tad better but never like the right. As far as inflammation and the food thing, my rings are loose on my fingers as I type this. Also, my upper lids feel less "full/puffy" in the morning. My eye doc said he suspects that there is a connection between food intolerance and/or allergies and exasperation of bleph/mgd.....I guess time will tell if this is a factor with me. I am still on numerous meds- Wellbutrin, Zyprexa (given for racing thoughts, anxiety, etc), and Xanax and am not worrying a bit about their effects since the eye doc measured this (also, to note, I went off of all meds in the past and did not notice any change- that must be because of my type of dry eye). I am also seeing a therapist (I advise this).

So, I am planning on continuing the lid therapy and scrubs (still cant find a drop I can use- but with a close to normal TBUT and good tear production I am leaning towards letting my eyes work things out on their own), finishing the Azasite, and praying for my left eye to straighten up. In the future, if/when I get my bleph/mgd in control and my TBUT above 10 and my left eye is still in pain, then I will look further into the conjunctival chalasis issue- I have an apt with the Harvard Eye clinic that is known for this surgery...

So to all you dear friends, I am not claiming to be "in the clear", sometimes I feel like my left eye is screaming at me all day. But, I realize that I had worked myself up into a state where I thought I was doomed when in fact progress was happening. It has helped to stop constantly "chasing a cure" and reading about eyes all the time. The most helpful advice was that now that I am caring for my eyes like I am, I will not get worse (was my biggest fear)...I think this is true for a lot of us. This bleph/mgd was probably festering for years, it will take some time to get in in control (my opinion at least).

Lastly, faith has helped a lot. I have been praying that I can let this go and not carry the burdon alone. I believe that this has helpled too.

Hopefully this long post will help someone. My prayers are with you all.
    Autumnn
    Last edited by autumnn; 24-Oct-2008, 21:44.

What a wonderful story of overcoming and breaking through to that place of hope and renewed encouragement. It's a real tribute to your family, too, for being such good advocates at the time when you most needed it. Thank you so much for sharing!
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

This is a great story

The best part is that you identified and took action. I became very depressed when I went to see the first doctor after he said I had dry eye and gave me lotemax and restasis. I was semi-depressed. I then took that energy and researched and got a second opinon by a very well respected doctor. It turned out I did not have chronic dry eye but MGD that was messing with my TBUT. I do not have aqueous issues, but my lipid layer is mediocre. ACtually, last time i went I had a TBUT of 3 and I am trying to figure out what my triggers are the same way you did.

i am very happy to hear your story as you are a true mercenary in the war of dry eye.

What were the actual treatments that brought your TBUT back up to normal?
      Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

Thank you so much Autumnn for sharing your story.... I think we all can relate to getting really depressed w/ this dry eye stuff. I too am thinking about checking out alternative medicine as I have noticed if I eat sugary foods I feel worse-when I stick to a clean diet I seem to do pretty well--like you said-not cured-but good enough considering what I have been through.. My left eye is the 'bad' eye too.. My right eye is pretty ok.. Like you, if both eyes could feel like the right I would be a happy camper.

Hang in there and thanks again for posting your story..It's inspirational!
        Jenny

Comment

Hi autumn,

What alternative doctor did the environmental toxin test for you?

It drives me mad because its still possible that allergies cause the problem, but after having three allergy tests, trying every drop, and avoiding bad foods in the past i ruled out allergies and food intollerance.

Its all year round, but im not allergic to dust or other year round things, so what on earth could the allergy be that doctors always say i have.
          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Autumn,

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I know how you feel, as much as any person can understand what another is going through. My left eye is also my "bad" eye, and I have frequently thought that if it could only feel as good as the right one, I'd be good to go.

And I've also struggled with the depression, which I feel is the hardest thing I've ever dealt with. I isolated myself in a misguided attempt to get relief from the eye pain (it hurts less when I sit at home with my humidifier and warm compress). One of the first things my therapist wanted me to do was to get out and do something fun. I needed a vacation from the eye pain, but, even more, I needed a vacation from obsessively worrying about and focusing on my misery.

But when you're severely depressed and sleep deprived and in constant pain, it's hard to not let all of that take over your life. It's hard to have a life at all.

Very few of my "real life" friends know the extent of what I'm going through. One who does, and who has been through something similar herself, told me, "Depression is awful. It takes no time at all to slide into the abyss, but you have to claw your way out, inch by inch."

I work every day on following my therapist's advice. Try something new. Do something fun. Build up a support network and use it. Hold on to whatever sliver of hope you have. And it's kept me alive 'til I can find the right eye treatments and the right depression meds.

Reading your story helped me so much. So thanks again!
            Teri

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you continue to improve. Those small steps seem to be working.
              just keep swimming...

Comment

Wow, I am impressed so many people made it through my long post
                Thank you for the kind comments, it means a lot because you guys are the ones who understand how hard this is.
                As far as some questions asked- how did I increase my TBUT? Well it has taken a year to go from 3 to an 8 and in this time I have tried a lot. But as of recently- the last two months- it has been one to two compresses a day with steralid lid scrub. I also got lower plugs which the doc believes has helped with the increased TBUT. It was a slow process but I am ok with that. I thought it would never be achieved because I went months and months stuck at a TBUT of 3/4.
                As far as allergies, I am not sure what the environmental toxin test was but the toxins in me were related to plastic. And the food one, well- it was crazy to learn about the eggs because I am a vegetarian and had them alone a lot as well as in foods I ate. One I uaually take a drop of Pataday now just for safe measures because I have dogs and the usual dust....it hasnt hurt and if anything has helped.
                Yes, getting out and trying to move on is so hard. For me, part of that is letting go and realizing that I dont have to wait until I feel better to be out. This doesnt mean that I am giving up on getting better but just determined to move on and believe that the time will come when my eyes are no longer my focus.
                Thanks again for all the support.

Comment

Oh, and my other point was that fear of meds kept me from getting the help I needed. Please consider meds if you need them- they have helped my mood a lot.
                  At one point I stopped all anti depressants, antihistamines and birth control pills because of my eyes. Funny thing is that I saw no difference/help when I stopped the meds.
                  Then, I hit a low and ended up on tons of meds (anti depressants, anti psychotics and anti anxiety as well as a sleeping pill) and would like to reiterate that when I last saw my eye doctor he tested if they were affecting my tear production and they were not....plus my type of dry eye is affected by my lids not tear production....
                  If you do try an anti depressant and it makes things worse or doesnt work please dont give up- try another one and another until something helps.

Comment

Autumnn,

Great post! Thank you for taking the time to share it. Your story does a wonderful job of presenting just what happens when we experience debilitating pain, and the evidence that it can be turned around. Teri's friend's description illustrates this perfectly as well:

"Depression is awful. It takes no time at all to slide into the abyss, but you have to claw your way out, inch by inch."

Wow, that certainly is the truth isn't it?

Congratulations, Autumnn, on your progress. I'm so glad to hear it.

Diana
                    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your story. It means alot to those who are starting on their "dry eye journey".

Bernadette

Comment

I read Autumnn's post late last night. I was thrilled to see someone tell their story as it is from beginning to end, including all the details. Your story includes just about everything, but was far from too long. I believe this will be a great learning post that newcomers can read and see what some of the important things are.

Congrats on going through all the "right' hoops, Autumnn, and thanks for taking the time to share your story. I hope Rebecca will put this somewhere so it's easy to refer to. This post is right up there with Diana's story of her dry eye/lasik ordeal. Lucy
                        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thank you for your comments, it is nice to know we arent alone, huh? At the same time, I have been told by my therapist to stay away from researching and brooding over my eyes so I may be absent for awhile. But, I will keep you updated in case I can be of help to someone else- we each have different causes, different reactions, different ways to feel better- but we all know how brave we have to be to face each new day with this and it helps to not be alone.

Comment

Originally posted by autumnn View Post
                            Thank you for your comments, it is nice to know we arent alone, huh? At the same time, I have been told by my therapist to stay away from researching and brooding over my eyes so I may be absent for awhile. But, I will keep you updated in case I can be of help to someone else- we each have different causes, different reactions, different ways to feel better- but we all know how brave we have to be to face each new day with this and it helps to not be alone.
                            I went to the doctor once for something and I was talking to him about all this stuff becasue I am a research freak when it comes to google. The doctor literally said "I think you should stop googling when you feel well."

I do agree that mind/body is a big issue. When I used to be almost OCD over my eyes I felt they hurt more through touching them, looking at them in the mirror, expressing while i was out, and stress. Now that I take it easy i feel they have been much better.
                            Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by autumnn View Post
                              Oh, and my other point was that fear of meds kept me from getting the help I needed. Please consider meds if you need them- they have helped my mood a lot.
                              At one point I stopped all anti depressants, antihistamines and birth control pills because of my eyes. Funny thing is that I saw no difference/help when I stopped the meds.
                              Then, I hit a low and ended up on tons of meds (anti depressants, anti psychotics and anti anxiety as well as a sleeping pill) and would like to reiterate that when I last saw my eye doctor he tested if they were affecting my tear production and they were not....plus my type of dry eye is affected by my lids not tear production....
                              If you do try an anti depressant and it makes things worse or doesnt work please dont give up- try another one and another until something helps.
                              Autumn,

My dry eye is caused by my lids as well. are your glands blocked? or do you have inflammed lids?

I will look into this toxicology thing, and maybe have enother intolerance test. I had one in the past.. it did say i had a intolerance to dairy and wheat. eggs were fine. However, after avoiding dairy etc for ages because of stomoach ibs symptoms (my eyes were fine due to this as usual) my stomach symptoms got better and my dry eye came back as usual, and i hadnt eaten any of this in months! so dont think its that. Allergies are always something that is a possibility but just dont know what because 3 allergy tests didn't bring up anything significant, unless skin prick tests arent accurate for eye allergies??. Soo frustrating!
                              I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Working...
                              X