Feeling Much Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling Much Better

I can't believe the day has finally come and I'm actually posting this, but I have now been exactly one week with absolutely no dry eye symptoms. I have gone from using PF drops every ten minutes in the evening, to using absolutely none. What has changed?

On Jan 5, I had an appointment with a new opthamologist who seems to know his way around dry eye. Imagine my surprise when instead of hearing "try PF drops", I heard "you should try moisture chamber glasses; here is a website where you can purchase something called TranquilEyes".

To be honest, I think he's simply giving me the cookie-cutter approach but since this is the first medical professional I've seen who didn't trivialize the discomfort I've been in ... I'm quite happy to make cookies for awhile!

I have just finished two weeks of the steroid drop, and have two more weeks to go using a steroid ointment that I work into my eyelids before bed. I've been very diligent about warm compresses, lid hygiene and massage (4xday), plus am taking the usual course of Doxy. I wouldn't have expected things to turn around so quickly (within 1 week of starting the new regiment) ... but they have.

Two other things of note which happened these last two weeks ... I finally had a "bad" tooth taken care of ... and have been seeing a chiropractor for a pinched nerve in my neck. I'd been ignoring both for about 4 months (since my eyes went off the charts). I read some posts recently about a possible connection between dry eyes and teeth. In my case, the tooth had a root canal done years ago, but I've had intermittent problems with the bone becoming irritated. I put off the visit to the dentist this time, being so overwhelmed with the condition of my eyes. But believe it or not, the day after the tooth was extracted, my dry eye completely went away. The chiropractor I saw that week told me I had a severely compressed nerve in my neck (likely had it a long time) which was causing all kinds of trouble in my shoulders and upper back. I asked him about the dry eye connection and he said anything is possible.

Of course, the other explanation is simply that the weather has changed and we are now in full blown winter with snow cover and no more autumn debris blowing around. I still think there may be an allergy connection, but everyone I've seen so far, says not.

Anyway, I am looking forward to a pain-free spring and summer. Hopefully if I maintain my routine, my problems won't resurface again come September.

Thanks for everyone's support and I hope you're all having a good week.

Debbi

Hi debbi thats great for you!

Just wondering, what is the steroid eyelid cream you use?

Ive never heard of a steroid to the eyelids, since drops seem to do nothing i think a cream would be more beneficial, since my eyelids are the prob. But obviously it isnt for long term though?

Thanks
    I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Hi, sazy

The cream he's got me on is called Maxidex. Once a day at bedtime for 4 weeks. If I recall when I read about it online, I think it's mainly used directly in the eye so use on the eyelid margins only might be an off-label use. He did prescribe tobradex also, but for 2 weeks only.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Great news

That's good to hear,I am also red eye free for a weeknow after canning all other things I was doing-warm compressers,humidifier,ointment at night,flaxseed.I decided ENOUGH,it was taking over my life.So I started to do ice compresses while I sleep and it's been amazing.My lids are better ,my eyes are white,the dryness under my eyes from the compresses has gone yeah! Nancy

Comment

That's great news! Congrats!

Why are you prescribed Maxidex? Do you have mgd or ocular rosacea...or is it more allergies, or tear deficiency. I'm curious...if it's for mgd or ocular rosacea, I will ask my doc about it to try.

Comment

Ice Compresses

Nancy,

I was wondering about the ice compresses. Do you simply wrap chopped ice in a baggy with a wet washcloth, or do you use ice packs wrapped?

I have such severe eyelid imflammation at times, and I reside to a cold wet washcloth for a few minutes.

What is your routine for this at night?

Thanks, Clio

Comment

Odydnas,
              The Maxidex was prescribed to help bring down the inflammation in the glands. I definitely suffer from mgd, but he's not sure what the cause is. I have no outward signs of blepharitis but the glands on all 4 margins are producing next to nothing.

I should have mentioned that once I'm finished the steroid drops and the maxidex, if I'm still symptomatic, I'm to use something called Metrogel (which apparently helps with ocular rosacea). He didn't make a definite diagnosis of ocular rosacea, and I got the sense he was simply trying to cover all the bases. He told me the use of Metrogel on the eyelids is an off-label use, and I need to be very careful to avoid get the ointment in my eye as it will burn. Hopefully I won't have to fill the Metrogel prescription. If I do, I'm supposed to use it twice a day for three months.

I'm also aqueous deficient (scored a zero and a one), but he wanted to address the gland issue before tackling the aqueous deficiency directly. He indicated I'm either not producing sufficient tear or it is evaporating almost immediately due to the lipid problem.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by NancyH View Post
                That's good to hear,I am also red eye free for a weeknow after canning all other things I was doing-warm compressers,humidifier,ointment at night,flaxseed.I decided ENOUGH,it was taking over my life.So I started to do ice compresses while I sleep and it's been amazing.My lids are better ,my eyes are white,the dryness under my eyes from the compresses has gone yeah! Nancy
                Hi Nancy,

How did you do ice compresses while you sleep?

Comment

Working...
                X