No announcement yet.

A local farmer saved my eyes....maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A local farmer saved my eyes....maybe?

(Sorry for poor English)
    Hello, I am 28 years old. I am from Örebro, in the middle of Sweden. I can look back on a long period of struggle against dry eyes, about 1,5-2 years. The eye doctor find out I had a BUT between 6-8 sec last year. I got my dry eyes from contact lenses or after quiting a Swedish tobacco called “snus”, i am not sure yet? There have been periods during this years when my eyes have been terrible, especially before last summer and before last Christmas. Now I look back on a 2 month periods with very good eyecondition. Last three weeks I haven´t taken any drops at all (!). Cant belive it myself.

The reason for me to finally post in this forum is the flaxseed oil. Inspired by this guy (http://www.xenophilia.com/zb0061.htm) i gave it a try. AND This stuff was a turning point for me. Seven days after i start taking it i just starting to feel better i my eyes. I cant guarantee that the flaxseed oil alone gave the effect but Im pretty sure.

Things I tried/still try:
    - Membrasin, which is a finnish combination of omega 7 and omega 9 made on buckthorn. Start taking it 5 month ago and still take it. Membrasin has no effect for me I think, but im not sure yet because I still eat it. Got caps for a month more.
    - Omega 3 + B12, took it for 3 month, stopped a month ago. Made nothing for me.
    - Chloromycetin, took it in a two week period, stopped a 3 ago. Had effect on my vision (made it better). I was using it around the turning point so it is to early to exclude.
    - used humidifiers for six month, stopped 2 month ago. No effect for me. Actually I hade som great days when it was off.
    - Used gel and drops of type Ocutears, Lacryvisc, Viscotears, biotears. Stopped with gel and drops three month ago but I still use Lacryvisc when I need . In general the drops an gels only make my eyes worse.
    - Use flaxseed oil from a local farmer here i sweden. Its a cold-pressed oil made in a barn by a farmer who need a second income. I have taken it for a month (http://www.alternativforadling.se/produkter.html). Around day seven i had the best day for two years. I could stare without blinking for over 20 seconds, I usually can stare for around 4-6 seconds when i try in the morning, and after it hurts like hell. Now three weeks later I still haven’t used any eye drops. I only feel dry around one hour in the morning but that’s it. For your information I work in an office with very dry air.

Conclusion:
    Flaxseed oil or/and Chlormycetin made my eyes feel better. Im 95 % sure that it is the flaxseed. I cant exclude membrasin but It made nothing for me in 4 month so I don’t think it had any effect. But… another aspect I thinking of is gingivitis. Is it possible a connection between bacteria in the mouth and i the eyes? My dentist find out that I had a latent bacterial inflammation. Sometimes, when I get to rough with my toothbrush, I bleed a little bit in the gum in some places (ive done it for years more or less). I didn’t take notice of it before the dentist said that it didn’t look good soo I started clean my mouth carefully with mouthwash,teethmatches, floss and a new antibacterial chewing gum. Suddenly the inflammation broke out and it was the time when my eyes felt better. Now a month later, i have the inflammation under control and its almost gone and my dry eyes also.

My next step is to try protein with "lactoferrin" together with Flaxseed. Maybe the morning dryness then dissapear.

Sincerely

/Bekks

I am convinced that flaxseed is crucial in maintaining my eye health. When I run out, within 3 days I can feel a distinct difference in the dryness of my eyes.

Comment

Hello, Bekkestad!

...I'm also using this flaxeed oil in my dry eye treatment regimen! Not sure if it does anything for me (but I have a complicated type of dry eye caused by autoimmune disease), but I think it's a good investment for the health in general to take this supplement.

Hilsen fra Toril

Comment

Hi Bekks,

When were you on the Chlormycetin, when your eyes started feeling better?
        If it was around the same time, i would assume its that that made your eyes better. Ive never heard of flaxseed helping the eyes that dramatically after 7 days. But there lots of reports of antibiotics helping in short periods, i.e azasite. Antiboitics help for bletheritis.

But it would be better if it was the flaxseed that helped.

but how do you buy it? I cant read Swedish.

I also have bleeding gums when i brush to hard, so i will try the things you are doing for that. What antibacterial gum do you use? i do think there be a connection with oral health and the eyes, Some have reported that there eyes got better after they had a root canal. I have had a massive tonsil for ages and its related to throat dryness and blockage i keep getting now, and had the dryness on occasion for years. I am getting tonsils removed, so will see if that has an effect, probably not as ive found there seems to be no ongoing cause to my dry eye.

thanks
        Last edited by sazy123; 08-Mar-2009, 15:00.
        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Chloramycetin/chloramphenicol(same thing) eye ointment has definately helped me - I have been using it at night on lid margins for 14 months

I also take flaxseed oil but have not noticed any difference with that

Comment

Chloromycetin, flaxseed and gums

sazy123// Yes i was on chloromycetin when my eyes starting feel better. But i only took two drops in each eye per day. Day 3-4 my vision felt better but the feeling of moisture came in the end of the period at the same time i started with flaxseed (and stopped with chloromycetin). If my eyes start feeling worse i will try only chloromycetin but right now when my tear film is relative stable i dont wanna take any chances. Today (and 4 weeks back) my eyes are a little dry in the evening and in the morning but not so much that i need to use drops or gel.

The farmer who produces flaxseed oil apparently only sells to Swedish web sites and to Japan. His product is highly appreciated in the Swedish health food industry. Apparently, the Nordic climate make the oxygen content higher than in other places (http://www.vitaminvaruhuset.se/shop/?artnr=1768). I found a page where they sell the bottles for 79 kr (http://www.shopping4net.se/Haelsokos...lja-liquid.htm). It is only 8.58 USD, which is relatively inexpensive. Maybe they can send abroad also?

In the case of the gum, it is called GUM PerioBalance and its new on the market. An independent study from Denmark showed that it is very effective (http://www.newsdesk.se/view/pressrel...n-munskoelj-ny -study-shows-effect already-after-second-week-254590). I will try to translate the first two paragraphs: "gum GUM PerioBalance, containing Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis, was launched at the pharmacy in March. Now, confirms a new study, done by Professor Svante Twetman in the Dental School in Copenhagen, that the gum reduce bleeding gums (gingivitis) with 85 percent after only two weeks of use. Accordingly, the gum is more effective than other products that currently exists on the market. It is also the first clinical study suggesting that GUM PerioBalance also can reduce the fluid in the tooth pockets, which is a sign of inflammation. At the same time, the gum inhibiting pathogenic bacteria that can cause gum inflammation. " Furthermore, it says that it inhibits the "pathogenic" bacteria.

GUM periobalance is recently launched in Sweden. In the United States it seems to be out on the market since January: https: / / commerce.jbutler.com / home periobalance.aspx

Comment

Hi Bekks/everyone,

I just wanted to say that I've made great progress in the last month, also by following Xeno's advice on the website you mentioned. A couple of notes from my routine.

- Morning fruit smoothie with 1tbs Barlean's Flax Oil, 1tbs Anutra (ground chia seeds, also high in omega 3's), 1 scoop of protein powder. I don't do this every morning, but maybe 3-4 times a week. Somedays I'll just mix this stuff into yogurt instead of making a fruit smoothie.

- Reduced intake of sugars and gluten (wheat, grains, etc). I've been reading lately about food allergies (Fat Resistance Diet, UltraMetabolism are two good books to read).

- I take 2 Zyflamend anti-inflammatory supplements each night with dinner.

I took 2tbs of flax oil either straight or in oatmeal for about two weeks with little or no effect, but when I switched to the smoothies and also reduced my gluten/sugar intake things got a lot better. While I'm not on an anti-Candida diet per se, it's possible that the reduction in sugar/gluten might be improving any possible Candida problem (mentioned in other forum threads)

I was using drops before bed, 1-2 times during the middle of the night, and again in the morning. I also had eye strain looking at the computer all day and sometimes the occasional blurred vision. All of that is gone now, almost 100% anyways.

- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bekkestad View Post
                sazy123// Yes i was on chloromycetin when my eyes starting feel better. But i only took two drops in each eye per day. Day 3-4 my vision felt better but the feeling of moisture came in the end of the period at the same time i started with flaxseed (and stopped with chloromycetin). If my eyes start feeling worse i will try only chloromycetin but right now when my tear film is relative stable i dont wanna take any chances. Today (and 4 weeks back) my eyes are a little dry in the evening and in the morning but not so much that i need to use drops or gel.

The farmer who produces flaxseed oil apparently only sells to Swedish web sites and to Japan. His product is highly appreciated in the Swedish health food industry. Apparently, the Nordic climate make the oxygen content higher than in other places (http://www.vitaminvaruhuset.se/shop/?artnr=1768). I found a page where they sell the bottles for 79 kr (http://www.shopping4net.se/Haelsokos...lja-liquid.htm). It is only 8.58 USD, which is relatively inexpensive. Maybe they can send abroad also?

In the case of the gum, it is called GUM PerioBalance and its new on the market. An independent study from Denmark showed that it is very effective (http://www.newsdesk.se/view/pressrel...n-munskoelj-ny -study-shows-effect already-after-second-week-254590). I will try to translate the first two paragraphs: "gum GUM PerioBalance, containing Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis, was launched at the pharmacy in March. Now, confirms a new study, done by Professor Svante Twetman in the Dental School in Copenhagen, that the gum reduce bleeding gums (gingivitis) with 85 percent after only two weeks of use. Accordingly, the gum is more effective than other products that currently exists on the market. It is also the first clinical study suggesting that GUM PerioBalance also can reduce the fluid in the tooth pockets, which is a sign of inflammation. At the same time, the gum inhibiting pathogenic bacteria that can cause gum inflammation. " Furthermore, it says that it inhibits the "pathogenic" bacteria.

GUM periobalance is recently launched in Sweden. In the United States it seems to be out on the market since January: https: / / commerce.jbutler.com / home periobalance.aspx
                Thanks i am treating the gum disease with floss and chlordol (sp) at the moment and have ordered gum periobiobalance- but the mints that you suck for ages.

Your dry eye was mild before, you say you only needed drops in the morning and evening, i do think its easier to reverse mild dry eye with diet, fish oils, than more severe dry eye like mine.

I do want to get rid of this ginivitis and realise its something ive had for a long time so could be a possibility.
                I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

I meant that my dry eye symptoms are mild now. I hardly need to use eye drops or gel at the moment. But before this "triumph-period" i would decribe my problems as moderate. Used gel (lacrivisc, viscotears) 3-5 times a day almost everyday for about a one year. For me its a a dry eye triumph just to have mild problems.

Bye the way, good luck in your struggle against gingivitis. It can at least for sure be cured . It took four weeks of toothbrushing, chewing gum and using antibacterial stuff but it was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bekkestad View Post
                    I meant that my dry eye symptoms are mild now. I hardly need to use eye drops or gel at the moment. But before this "triumph-period" i would decribe my problems as moderate. Used gel (lacrivisc, viscotears) 3-5 times a day almost everyday for about a one year. For me its a a dry eye triumph just to have mild problems.

Bye the way, good luck in your struggle against gingivitis. It can at least for sure be cured . It took four weeks of toothbrushing, chewing gum and using antibacterial stuff but it was worth it.
                    Thanks, did you have inflammed lower gums? how did you takle this? my gums around teeth arent to bad but slightly lower they are tender and red.
                    did you massage lower gums?

Thanks

Comment

I did not even know that i had inflammation. Sometimes it bled when I brushed and sometimes it itch (tickle?)but it wasnt so bad that i noticed it. When my dentist told me that i had inflammation of both the upper and lower gum i was suprised. Moreover, I had very deep pockets around the teeth.

My dentist rekommended a daily routine to follow morning and evening:
                      1. Brush teeth usual carefully
                      2. Use dental floss around every teeth (Did not do this everytime)
                      3. Put teethmatches with flour between each tooth. Continue with this even if the gum bleeds and hurts. When the gum stops to bleed even if you put in a teethmatch then the gum is cured according to my dentist.
                      4. Use antibacterial toothpaste (I used cordosyl).
                      5. Chew GUM PerioBalance two times a day.

This took almost 20 min two times a day for 2,5 week. It was all worth it. When my dentist checked the gum last week it was like from a "school book" she said. Pockets was virtually gone and the gum hade perfect color she said.

Bye the way, had to use gel one time today. Not good. Maybe is on its way back?

Comment

an alternative for bleeding gums

I also have had gum problems, and my dentist gave me a very strong (prescription only) fluoride toothpaste...which I'm now wondering if I'm allergic to.

There is a lot of controversy about fluoride in general....

My homeopath suggested an alternative, colloidal silver, which is a natural antibiotic and can be used as a mouthwash. I googled it and got a ton of info on it - also read some people have cured eye problems with it!!!

Anyway, I've ordered a bottle to use in my mouth, and will report on how it'd working.

Comment

A wonderful update

It should be said, my eyes have been a litte bit dryer since my last post. But the dryness has been stable on a higher, better and more manageable level.
                          Evenings and mornings are still tough and a long day at the office can also still be a little bit hard. But my level now i so high that is fully acceptable. I have had no period of total dryness since christmas.

Today i had a scheduled a meeting with the eyeclinic in my city (Örebro, Sweden). I have been on the waiting list for appointment for 3 month and they where reluctant to give me this appointment because on my last visit in October 2008 the thought that my dry eye where "not that bad". There advice to me was "try to learn to live with it". That time i had TBUT= 6-8 sec on both eyes. I was so angry over there lack of understanding. And the week after my visit a new period of total dryness arrived.

This time i was prepared. www.dryeyezone.com and the forum has given me new knowledge and an opportunity to make demands and ask for things before I was not aware of. To my surprise, I got a new young ophthalmologists. It turned out that she was very careful and detailed in her work so my questions wasn´t that many. First i did the Shirmers test. I have not done the test before, thought i wanted to. My right eye showed 32 mm and my left 34 mm . Although I know that the test is uncertain, I was completely speechless of joy. It is extremely far to the risklimits i belive, or can the test be completely wrong? In my first examination in May 2008 they suspected Sjögrens syndrom but according to this and the fact that i have never suffered from fatigue, or dry mouth, i dont belive in it. The new ophthalmologists said that Sjögrens syndrom were very unlikely. She didn´t understad her colleagues.

TBUT turned out to be 7 on the right eye and 9 on the left eye. A slight improvement then. Now, the most interesting part: I told her that I believed that flaxseed oil had good efficacy and chloromycetin made my vision sharper and she agreed that the flaxseed oil may have delayed my TBUT one or two seconds. When she heard about the chloromycetin, i could see on her face that an idea came up. She asked enthusiastically if it was ok to flip my eyelids. Well, who say no to that? Below my upper eyelids she found something that she would describe as "a bunch of grapes". Then she immediately came to the conclusion that my dry eyes where due to allergy. Thats why the chloromycetin helped me she said, because it kept allergy impact on my tearfilm (sazy123, you where on the right track i guess). My ophthalmologist understood that the combination of flaxseed oil and chloromycetin, and the double effect that it had on my tearfilm, makes a considerable difference.

My ophthalmologist gave me something called Opatanol printed out. It is an eye drop which is apparently to remove the allergic reaction. Im supposed to take it for a month. If it works and allergy come back later, I'll double drip period to 2 months.

I am quite excited and thrilled now. I have received a diagnos and the hope of once again live a normal life is back. If anyone has experience of allergy during the eyelids (allergic conjunctivitis?) So, please feel free to tell me how it goes for you, what preparations you are using, etc..

Comment

Hiya

thats good news, ive been told dozens of times that i ahve allergic conjunctivits but im not allergic to anything (ive had extensive tesing) patonal etc didnt help at all neither did clearing dust from my room etc, although i do have very mild pappallie which is hat i think your referring to when you say small bumps under the eyelids- i do not believe this to be significant enough to be causing the problem.

I did think the ointment might have something to do with it along with flaxseed, i agree about the combination. Flaxseed doesnt do anything for me, but i will stay on it for longer time.

Ive been using the ointment, but so far nothing. I also didnt find any help from improving my gums which are alot better- not completely though.

My tear break up when measured several years ago was 5 secs i dont reckon its much different now tbh.

Comment

yes, im not sure either that the allergy is the answer to my problems. But i really hope so. And it feels better to have something to belive in. Right now i am on day four on my "allergy drops" (Opatanol) and dryeness hasnt change. I am still very dry when i wake up and one hour forward (not much of a problem i think). BUT i have had perfect vision since i started with the drops. That hasn´t happend for a year except for one time and that was the period with chloromycetin. So it do something for me already, but im not sure what?

I don´t belive that the gum is something that cause DES but maybe it can effect in some way. Sazy, have you done the shirmer test?

Comment

Working...
                              X