For Encouragement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Encouragement

I have been remiss in my posting lately. I am sorry about that because I know there are people like me in the early days post-surgery that need hope and encouragement. So here is an update.

I am happy to report I am very comfortable now. I am great about 90% of the time. I am double plugged in my left eye and have slight weeping in that eye but nothing like when I was first totally plugged. If I am in a meeting I can just touch my fingertip (probably not sanitary!) to the corner of my eye to blot away the moisture without anyone knowing. My right eye I am almost certain the plug fell out of the upper duct. I still have the lower one in. That eye never overtears. Most times it feels great, sometimes it feels a bit dry. When it does I use systane and then it feels better for hours. I still use my hot rice baggie 2x per day. I avoid when possible air conditioning because that will still bring on some irritation. I use my panoptyx in the car when air or heat is on. And I still sleep with Genteal gel. Following this routine has allowed me to live my life with comfortable, pain-free eyes. If I ever do feel irritation or slight discomfort 10 minutes with my rice bag stops it right quick. I will never give up this routine no matter how improved I am. I am 2 years 5 months post op.

I am living proof a person can go from miserable and in pain every day to highly functioning and happy.

Good luck all in your quest for comfort!!

Thanks for posting your great success! No doubt some new post-lasik folks can use some encouragement. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

thank you!

Lasik Lady has been a very good PM friend to me.....encouraging me and giving me hope. This is sooooog great to hear. I am 15 months post-lasik and still not super great, but managing better I guess for sure.

I hope to be where you are soon!!! Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Lasik Lady,

It is always SO WONDERFUL to hear when people go from such suffering to SO MUCH BETTER!!! Thanks for your post!

Comment

Hi,

That is great news!!

What type of dry eye did you have, was it caused by MGD.

Did you see any changes when you got the upper plugs removed? I'm asking because I am considering getting two plugs removed...just not brave enough yet.

Bernadette

Comment

I did not have the upper plugs removed. I believe the right fell out because one afternoon the overtearing stopped...just like that. The left still has some weeping but nothing like when I was first totally plugged.

I was diagnosed with a lack of tears and the doctor told me my oils were "thicker than most people's." The plugs evidently helped with the volume issue and the hot compresses help with the oil issue.

I was totally plugged and quite weepy for 9 months before the weeping let up in the left eye and the right eye suddenly got drier. I am guessing the plug fell out but that doesn't explain why the left eye also quit weeping so much. Maybe it took that long for my eyes to adjust? I don't know, all I know is I am so much better.

Especially with lasik patients, time is our helper. The longer those nerves have to heal the better. We may never be able to live without our routines in total comfort, but comfort can and does come in time for a lot of us.

I think everyone with dry eye can definitely be benefited by the advice and tips on this website. I know if I only had the advice of the 3 doctors I've seen for this condition I would be no where near the level of comfort I am at. All that has come from everyone here.

Comment

How are you now?

LasikLady,

I am over a year and a half post-op from LASIK and am considering plugs. I believe I have mild to moderate dry eye and am not doing anything more than Dwelle + dietary stuff like omegas and vitamins and eating right (wait, also doing compresses, and I have just ordered a Vornado humidifier for the bedroom). I still have some burning or foreign body sensation most every day.

How are you doing now with your routine/plugging?

Thank you,
              Rose

Comment

Working...
              X