Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress from a dry eyed Scotsman

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted.....thought I'd update everyone.

It's been nearly 4 years since I developed bad dry eyes. You may recall I developed a presumed Lacrimal problem basically overnight in my right eye. Prior to that I've had mild Bleph for years......which never really bothered me.
    Thus, for 4 years I've taken eye drops, all different brands, and at least 2 or 3 times a day, every day. My workplace is the worst, sometimes I'm emptying 5 vials.

So, about 2 or 3 months ago I decided to make a real conscious effort to try some other remedial solutions, and also to vary my daily routine a bit.

I ordered flaxeed oil capsules, and have been taking them alongside my Omega 3 capsules. 2off each first thing in the morning.
    I also stopped completely the nighly eye massages.
    I also stopped completely bathing/washing my eyelids in Sterilid solution.

What I now notice is that I no longer use eye drops near as much as I used to. Don't get me wrong my eyes are still bad, and especially my right eye will get extremely sore & dry in-front of my PC (work & home).

I have also come to the conclusion that eye drops, with me anyway, are only beneficial when my eyes get real bad.......if I try to use the drops when my eyes are only mildly sore/dry then the drops only offer immediate relief but it soon reverts back and they are sore/dry if not even more so. I'm thinking the drops are washing away what little was good in my eyes.
    Net result - None of the eye drops I'm using are actually replacing what is missing.

I find some relief from yawning in order to create tears from my own glands......but also if I over-do it then it's a bit like using eye drops, i.e. my eyes will feel good initially but will dry up worse within a few minutes.

I feel that I haven't found a eye drops that are specific enough to my own problems, which are complicated in my right eye especially due to the lacrimal & Bleph problems.

Ian.

Do you think the Flaxseed oil has had a positive effect?

Comment

Originally posted by calcan View Post
      Do you think the Flaxseed oil has had a positive effect?
      Hi,

There are so many ups & downs with this condition it's really hard to say. I guess I'd have to come off it for a while, then on again to find out.

Maybe some others can offer their input regarding flaxeed oil.

Ian.

Comment

I am glad you've found some progress Ian! Any little bit helps. Since you are so dependent on eye drops and they do give you some relief (unlike some people where drops just makes things worse), have you tried Lacriserts?

Comment

Originally posted by odydnas View Post
          I am glad you've found some progress Ian! Any little bit helps. Since you are so dependent on eye drops and they do give you some relief (unlike some people where drops just makes things worse), have you tried Lacriserts?
          No I haven't, but I think I'll give them a go......thanks for that.

Ian.

Comment

I'm with you on the yawning. If I'm working on the computer etc it'll offer me immediate soothing relief but will often my eyes feel even drier soon after. I think because you're generating water without the oil, so it feels nice initially but it also washes away some of the oil that's in the eyes. I'm not sure on this but it makes sense to me

glad you're getting some relief.

Comment

I've been 'yawning' too, it's good occassionally I think.

I'm just starting on flaxseed and omegas...I'm hoping it helps a bit. I'm finding summer harder than winter here.

I actually watched out this year to see if there was a difference ....for some reason summer is hitting me hard.
              just keep swimming...

Comment

dry eye buddy

Hi,

I was speaking with Rebecca Petris. My brother has dry eye and is unable to function - he has dropped out of college and is in bed a lot in the day. She recommended he try and find a dry eye buddy. I am wondering would you be interested?

Thanks, Brenda

Comment

Hello i would like to be your brothers dry eye buddy..I know exactly what hes going through as ive had this horrible condition for 4 years now and i too find it depressing when none seems to understand the effect that it has on ones everyday life..I also have blepharaspasm and the botox injections needed to control this condition just serves to dry eyes out further..I am here if you need to get in touch?All good thoughts cb...Im in the uk by the way..

Comment

Working...
                  X