IPL with Dr. Assil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sabrina:
    I am post lasix (10 years) and post accutane (16 years). I had to request getting tested for Sjogrens because apparently nobody else has thought about that. Sometimes I feel like I am more knowledgeable than the Dr's I have been seeing. The Sjogrens results are pending.
    Sabrina, you have a double whammy with Lasik and accutane! You did the right thing getting tested for Sjogrens. I, too, had Lasik and then for 8 years suffered terribly with dry eyes, declining vision etc. I finally was dx positive for Sjogrens at 8 years post-Lasik. I'm now 10 years post op and still have much as far as problems as the Sjogrens really digs it in. You are right in feeling that you know more then most of the drs you see. None of the many drs I saw suggested Sjogrens to me. It was my idea.

IHateLasik:
    Hello, I would like to try IPL does anyone know of a doctor in FL. 10 years post Lasik - still dry
    It really bugs me that many people are suffering from dry eye 10 years after Lasik. Remember, it's all in our imagination. Remember when the docs denied that Lasik caused dry eye?

I hope anyone reading this and wanting Lasik gets the message. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I did a course of accutane 17 years or so ago too ;( My lasik place did not ask for any history of accutane -- sometimes it's just too much think about. We put so much trust in doctors and look how they've ruined our eyes.

Comment

IPL, lasik , accutane, MGD ect...

I agree! When I was considering lasik my regular opthamologist told me he wouldn't do anything that hasn't been around 25-30 years because you don't know the long term effects. I brushed him off thinking he was way too conservative.. How I wish I had listened!

I'm not sure if it's the lasix that eventually got me, the accutane, or the combo. For years I thought both were "miracle cures"; no more cystic acne that I battled for years and no more glasses! What a shock to learn this is what is now likely causing all this! My girlfriend was recently turned down by a Dr. for Lasik because he said her eyes were too dry. So hopefully this is catching on and others don't have to go down this terrible road.

I feel like when I first put the heat the secretions feel really thick and then start to get better and almost feels like they are melting/softening. I don't actually ever see any oil coming out though.
        At this point I just want someone who knows what they are talking about to give me a diagnosis so I can make an informed decision about what to try next. And I do worry, will there be some negative long-term affect from IPL on the eyes? I mean everyone thought lasik was safe.

Am looking forward to hearing more from Autumn and others who are trying Dr. Assil for IPL.

Comment

2nd Visit with Dr. Assil

Hi.

This is just a short post to update those interested in my treatment with Dr. Assil. Yesterday's visit was quicker than my first and went as follows. First a technician tested my vision by having me read the letters on the screen which were blurry especially for my right eye. I think it was lack of tears since is is much better today after the treatment. Dr. Assil then performed the IPL treatment going up in intensity for the second time through. He even held the "wand" (what do you call the end that goes up against your face?) on each eye this time for a pulse of light. He had not done this on the first treatment so it made me jump and laugh a little.

Once again the treatment was uncomfortable because of the light and heat, but it was easier to get through it since I had done it before. One thing that I noticed is that Dr. Assil is very quiet and gives little explanation and direction during the treatments. I like to know what is happening so that is something that I had to adjust to. Also since your eyes are taped shut you can't see what's going on either.

After the light treatment he aggressively expressed my glands. This was very painful and he described the excretions as toothpastey/murky. Dr. Assil also expressed the top eyelid this time for the first time. This was uncomfortable too. The relief I felt after was not as much as the relief I felt after the first treatment, but it still felt really good. Today again my relief is not as great but it is still much better than how my eyes felt last week.

This was longer than I expected, but please let me know if you have any questions. I hope this helps some of you.

: )
          Pati

Comment

Video

Just found this on IPL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc7ZbDCL0oE

Comment

Hi Pati, just wondering if there's anymore news regarding the IPL treatment?

Comment

Treatment #3

Thanks for the reminder Aaron77. I did go to my 3rd treatment a couple of weeks ago and I had a really intense treatment. It was painful and I ended up with some small scabs below my left eye. I contacted the office about it the next day and didn't get a response at all. Hmmm.
                I canceled my next appointment because I can't really afford the treatment right now and I'm not really sure how much more it would help. I am not 100% at all, but I am not feeling any better than after my 2nd treatment. Also, I have not been getting too much info from the Dr. as to how my treatments are progressing other than see you next month for another high intensity treatment.

Comment

Patti -

Sorry if I missed this on your thread, but have you seen any improvement at all as a result of the IPL? It says that you are not 100%, but 100% is a pretty tall order in the context of dry eye.

Gretchen

Comment

Some improvement yes

Hi Gretchen.

I did see some improvement especially after the first treatment. My eyes stopped burning when i close them and I feel more comfortable overall during the day. I still had problems at night though, before going to bed. As for the subsequent treatments, I didn't notice as much of an improvement after those, but I know that they helped maintain the initial improvement. The excretions at the end of the treatments also felt good.

I hope this helps.
                    Pati

Comment

Pati - what exactly does IPL for dry eye entail? I have MGD caused by underlying rosacea and was looking into IPL for the rosacea which I hope will subsequently help my eyes. Did the Dr. IPL your eyelids or the surrounding area or something else entirely? Thanks!

-Brighteyes

Comment

Ipl

Originally posted by Brighteyes View Post
                        what exactly does IPL for dry eye entail? I have MGD caused by underlying rosacea and was looking into IPL for the rosacea which I hope will subsequently help my eyes. Did the Dr. IPL your eyelids or the surrounding area or something else entirely?
                        Hi Brighteyes,

IPL for me consisted of the following...The first treatment the machine was set for acne and the area was around the eyes from temple to temple including on the nose twice. Second treatment: the machine was set to vascular 12 instead of acne and he went over the same area twice except on the second time he put the wand ON the eyes as well. The third treatment was the same as the second except the intensity was vasuclar 12 and vascular 15. The vascular 15 hurt like all heck. I was crying when I walked out of there and the Dr said he would pre-treat me next time with some pill to make me not feel the pain as much.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

- Pati

Comment

1st IPL Treatment w/ Dr. Assil

I went through my first IPL and MG expression w/ Dr. Assil and Dr. May today.
                          The session went fairly well, and glands did secrete oils from the expression procedure. I sure hope this helps.

I have had 5 IPL treatments 2 yrs ago to help treat Occular Rosacea, but they did nothing to help my eyes. My skin improved some, but improving my skin was not the goal of treatment.

Dr. Assil's treatment (originally developed by Dr. Toyos) makes sense since both my upper and lower lids tend to be swollen and my lowers are consistently crusty. I am cautiously optimistic .....

I have a qestion for those of who have had Dr. Assils IPL treatment recently - What were you told it would cost? When I first called they told me $500.00 - $750.00, but no explanation of why it could be the higher amount.
                          When I spoke w/ their Customer Service rep. (reminds me of buying a car), she told me $750.00! I complained and told her I was quoted $500.00 and she agreed to this amount for the 1st treatment only. This seems a lot higher price than I have heard from others on the Internet.

Any comments??
                          thanks, Bill

Comment

That is way too expensive

Originally posted by merlinm3 View Post
                            Dr. Assil's treatment (originally developed by Dr. Toyos) makes sense since both my upper and lower lids tend to be swollen and my lowers are consistently crusty. I am cautiously optimistic .....

I have a qestion for those of who have had Dr. Assils IPL treatment recently - What were you told it would cost? When I first called they told me $500.00 - $750.00, but no explanation of why it could be the higher amount.
                            When I spoke w/ their Customer Service rep. (reminds me of buying a car), she told me $750.00! I complained and told her I was quoted $500.00 and she agreed to this amount for the 1st treatment only. This seems a lot higher price than I have heard from others on the Internet.

Any comments??
                            thanks, Bill
                            Hi Bill. Wow... that price is outrageous! I was charged $500 for the treatments that I had. I have no idea why you would have been charged more... That is one of the reasons I stopped getting treatments, the high cost with no real consultation from Dr. Assil, he just did the procedure and left... he didn't even do extractions right away which is what is supposed to happen so that the glands are still warm... in my last visit I waited 30 minutes after my treatment to get the extractions done.

I still cannot believe they tried to charge $750. When I got charged $500 the bill only said $500 no itemization or anything.

Good luck with your treatment and please let us know how it progresses.

Comment

I haven't had IPL, but am holding off on it due to my doc's advice. My doc believes that sclerals are a much better option over IPL, at least in my case. It is still on my to do list if nothing my doc does works. But $750!?!?! That's ridiculous, assuming that an average person would need 4 treatments! That would end up to be $3000 total! It's also ridiculous that you are practically haggling about the price, without real reason from the doctor as to why. Not to be overly cynical, but boy, is this going to another "lasik" as in docs offering it to everyone as another way to make money?? It also shouldn't be so painful that you leave the office crying, Pati,...well at least that is what I think, but i'm not doctor. I mean it is completely worth it if it helped, and I am curious to see if its really helped many people significantly. Thanks to all who are posting about their experiences. I am continuing to follow IPL with interest. I am also wondering if the experience with Dr. Toyos is any different that the experience with Dr. Assil.

Comment

Originally posted by Pati View Post
                                Hi Brighteyes,

IPL for me consisted of the following...The first treatment the machine was set for acne and the area was around the eyes from temple to temple including on the nose twice. Second treatment: the machine was set to vascular 12 instead of acne and he went over the same area twice except on the second time he put the wand ON the eyes as well. The third treatment was the same as the second except the intensity was vasuclar 12 and vascular 15. The vascular 15 hurt like all heck. I was crying when I walked out of there and the Dr said he would pre-treat me next time with some pill to make me not feel the pain as much.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

- Pati
                                Thanks for the reply Pati! I'm not sure what a "wand" is but I've read that you're not supposed to have IPL on the eyes themselves and that you're actually supposed to have metal eye shields to protect the eye during IPL. Granted, most of my reading has been with regards to rosacea and not occular, but still. Is the "wand" a less powerfull IPL? Is there any concern of eye damage from IPL on the lids? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X