for book lovers who have trouble reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for book lovers who have trouble reading

My eyes are so dry that in the past several months I have been forced to stop reading books, magazines and newspapers -hugely depressing. Then I discovered that audio books are available at my local library and through my local Canadian National Institutes of the Blind for free (there is a similar institution that is even better in the States -anyone know the name?). I thought I had to be blind to have access to these resources but as it turns out, they are free to anyone with reading disabilities. There a lot of different types of audio books (CD, audiocassette and loadable to your computer or even MP3). Admittedly, a lot of the book are not newer than publication date 2006, but my local library for example has 3000 audio books available! I load mine onto my new MP3 player and close my eyes and listen. The readers are real performers so it is a joy to listen to the performance and it spares my eyes. You can also get newspapers and magazines like Oprah through this medium. All free!
    Another source that I have found for more recent book publications is www.audible.com It seems expensive, but not in comparison to what audio books cost in your local bookstore (about half the price). If you've got $, this is one other option.
    Finally, I found out through my CNIB about a service that also helps your computer to read to you. The site is www.satogo.com. It is free and provides a synthesized voice for the words on your computer. Check it out if you're interested.
    Just thought I would fill you in on some recent discoveries!
    Erika

Erika,

Thank you for the info. I have had the pleasure of listening to books on tape, and it sure helps pass the time on bad days.

Melissa
    pianolady

Comment

I went along to a local reading group having listened to the chosen book on CD.

In group discussion, it was clear that my response to the story was quite different to everyone else's.

Comment

Working...
      X