Probing with Dr ****** or Dr Spagnolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probing with Dr ****** or Dr Spagnolo

How many people have gotten improvement with the meibomian glands from probing with Dr ****** or Dr Spagnolo? Has the improvement stayed?

I would love to hear from people also. My dr says that he has studied this and will not do it due to damage to the glands? I too want to hear from others having it done. I had an appt to have it in fla for this but after talking to my dry eye dr I have held off. enquiry minds want to know......

Comment

My doctor said he'd be willing to try it if I am interested. As tempted as I am, I think I would only do this with someone who has quite a bit of experience. Dr. ****** uses transillumination to visualize the gland before probing, so in theory that would help determine how far to probe and where the gland ends. Maybe that makes a difference in the outcome.

Comment

I reported on a different thread that probing did not help me. Even with the longer probes inserted. Dr Spagnolo couldn't express any oil out of the glands. My glands have been blocked for so long they don't work anymore. This may not be the case for you. Dr ****** has the most experience and claims that many of his patients are happy after the procedure. I wish some happy patients could post on this website.

Comment

I wish Dr. ******s patients would post on this site too. His website is so extensive and dedicated to dry eye and ocular diseases, yet I don't hear much about him on this board from his patients.

Comment

I am wondering about this too. But to me it sounds very invasive? i dont like the idea of things that ''could'' do any more damage to the eyelids, especially when ocular rosacea may be involved, if it effects the blood vessels!

Has there been anyone from this site who has tried it? I suppose like IPL.. there were many trying that with Dr T but none of them posted on this site, i know he has treated many though. It wasn't until several members on here tried it, and reported back that many others on here tried it (so it could be a similar thing). But I dont know, not sure about this. I wish there would be actual drugs that get to the gland and reduce the blood vessels and subsequent inflammation.. now thats something worth thinking about... or a small laser that could get to the glands with metal shields to protect the eyes!!! Researchers are you listening??!
            I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

IPL for dry eyes

I've had my upper eyelids zapped with V-Beam (PDL = pulsed dye laser) about 5 times. The dermatologist at the laser place puts in metal eye shields (large contacts).

I haven't seen any improvement... but I had the series of zaps a couple of years ago and I've progressed in my dry eyes since then.

Cheers,
              Sheila

Ocular rosacea, MGD (1996)

Comment

http://dr******.com/

looking at his website, it says relief for obstructive MGD... does that mean blocked glands?
                I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
                  I've had my upper eyelids zapped with V-Beam (PDL = pulsed dye laser) about 5 times. The dermatologist at the laser place puts in metal eye shields (large contacts).

I haven't seen any improvement... but I had the series of zaps a couple of years ago and I've progressed in my dry eyes since then.

Cheers,
                  Sheila

What was your eyelid skin like after doing this with the laser?

Did it cause any sagging?

Comment

IPL for dry eyes

I've had tons of laser (IPL/PDL/RFL) since 1994 for facial rosacea (at least 30 full-face treatments and as many partial-face). I wasn't worried about my eye lids esp since he puts in the shields.

I have a lot of veins on my upper lids and that's why I tried laser. I assumed that the inflammation in the veins was causing eye problems (just like vascular rosacea causes inflammation in the face... same old story).

Post laser, I do not have any sagging. It did not notice any change the skin on my lids. I still have the visible veins. They can't get too close to the lashes or it's basically a hair-removal (or eyelash remover) laser!

Sorry... this is obviously in the wrong thread...

I have probing scheduled for Jan 28 (fingers crossed).

Cheers,
                    Sheila

Comment

Thats annoying, i would have thought IPL to eyelids would help, since vascular is big component in dry eye, maybe it just wasnt effective in reducing the vascular component of your eyelids.

IPL made my face feel smoother but i dont feel it reduced much tangelstacia, although dr Toyos thinks it did. My skin didnt do much, even on higher level it didnt go red expect a little for 10 mins after!

My main prob is the vascularization and subsequent inflammation of the inner eyelids anyway, but i have noticed how viens on uppers stand out more than else where on face and have slight rosacea. But i think this got like this honestly after the dry eye due to hot compresses and maybe progesterone cream.

Comment

I spoke on the phone with two people who had the MG probing done by Dr ****** -- as part of my research (I'll be having the probing done on Feb 2 if Dr ****** feels it will help). Both people were extremely pleased with the outcome. I got one person's name from this forum (user name 'pete'), and the other name I got from Dr ******'s office. Both people said they would be glad to speak with anyone about their experience. If you would like their contact info, email me at pbeinetti@aol.com.

Comment

pbeinetti-

I just want to say that no doctor's office is going to give you the name of an unsatisfied patient. So the fact that this referred patient was "happy" doesn't really mean much.

I'd take the one you picked out of this forum at his word, though, because he wasn't "screened and prompted" by the doctor's office. Good luck in your decision.

Lucy
                          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Lucy:

Yes, I certainly understand your point. But, in this case the person suggested to the doctor (actually, the nurse) that he would be glad to speak with people who might be considering the MG probe. There was no soliciting by the doctor. Also, I have found that I can learn from anyone who has gone through something that I haven't. I had about 20 questions for the individual, and learned a great deal about his symptoms, the procedure, any possible followup that might be required, etc., etc. The man I spoke with is an architect, very professional, well educated, and was extremely helpful to me.

Comment

Working...
                            X