Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What causes *major* 24/7 light halos and "interference/snowy" vision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes *major* 24/7 light halos and "interference/snowy" vision?

While my cornea dr's working on cauterizing all the punctum in time (next time, in 4-6 wks,) there's, what I'd consider a *major* problem w/ my eyes--esp. to the point where I'm flinching and swerving in nighttime traffic.

The "read these letters" vision test, during the day, is very hard to focus on--it's very fuzzy, besides I'm seeing light reproduced where it shouldn't be (imagine seeing another block of light above and part of one below the line of letters) and there's a halo effect to the tune of stretching out about 10 extra inches all around.

Nighttime sucks. I have very photosensitive Lupus (a lot of other autoimmunes, too) so night is the least painful time for me to be out (even then, like now, in front of this computer screen, I have to wear SPF 100.) The halos at night are ENORMOUS! Headlights are taller and wider than cars, as bright as floodlights or nearly the sun. Streetlights are 5-7 times more radiant than they are in reality--like big stars, really. All the other light-noise, store signs, etc., aren't as bright, but they're distracting--it's like what I'd imagine going through a very strange carnival very stoned on LSD must be like (says the life-long vegetarian, never-tried-anything, boring health-nut I've read where when The Beatles were first slipped LSD everything seemed to be stretching out in odd proportions and on fire, so I guess I'm basing the carnival metaphor on this.) But truly, it's frighteningly bizarre and I've swerved once or twice due to those wickedly bright lights.

So the question of the hour is...What is it that would cause such a thing?

In brief, I have Sjorgren's, RA, Lupus and 7 or 8 other autoimmunes as well as the less-interesting things like Fibro.

Thanks!

What causes major 24/7 light halos

Hi:

Your description of night street lights and ghosting as you call it (I call it orbs and halos) is so accurate. I also have halos in the daytime from headlights and also dew on leaves to me now appears as small xmas lights. I have blurring but do not have any of the conditions that you have.

My distorted vision was caused by RLE with multi-focal lens, however I have been told by various eye drs. that this is a result of dry eye. I have just had the Lipiflow treatment and will let you know if this helps. (If I can--"computer challenged", but learning). This is a weird way to see the world!

Good luck with your punctal plugs, didn't help me but hoping it works for you.

Clair

Comment

I have a terrible time with night-time driving too. Not as bad as yours sounds, but it is quite painful and disorientating. I've noticed an increase in the number of people using LED headlights - they are a scourge! It's such a nuisance that's very difficult to explain to someone with healthy eyes. It's also quite dangerous so I don't drive when my eyes are bad if I can at all avoid it. I find it very stressful driving at night, because I have to be much more alert to road signs and markings due to poor vision while being blinded by halos of light.

I wonder if it's possible to get polarised windscreens and would that help? Or maybe that's a step too far!
      The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

Comment

Originally posted by achyeyes View Post
        The "read these letters" vision test, during the day, is very hard to focus on--it's very fuzzy, besides I'm seeing light reproduced where it shouldn't be (imagine seeing another block of light above and part of one below the line of letters) and there's a halo effect to the tune of stretching out about 10 extra inches all around...

Nighttime sucks.... The halos at night are ENORMOUS! Headlights are taller and wider than cars, as bright as floodlights or nearly the sun.

So the question of the hour is...What is it that would cause such a thing?
        Lotsa stuff.
        Cataracts.
        Refractive surgeries.
        Irregular corneal surface (can be from a variety of causes including I suppose dry eye; visualized on corneal topography)
        Unusually large pupils.
        Probably some retinal conditions but I don't know anything about those so can't say.
        Any or all of this accentuated perhaps by the autoimmune stuff.

Without my sclerals, I have a lot of what you describe in spades, but it's from central corneal damage from LASIK.

What does the cornea doc say?
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Night time halos

My husband has trouble with huge halos when driving at night. His problem is caused by multifocal implants after cataract surgery. He also has mild dry eye. What helps him are glasses with polarized yellow lenses. Since you are light sensitive, the yellow lenses might not work since yellow tends to lighten everything up. However, it might be worth while. I ordered his non rx glasses off the internet and they were cheap.

Comment

What causes major 24/7 light halos

I have two pairs of yellow lens glasses, ones without the black backing and find that they are fantastic for making things look brighter. I use them inside and outdoors. For me they have no effect on halos from headlights, streetlights or even the orbs from the sun shining on cars and trucks.

Since they lighten everything they seem to brighten my mood also, another benefit.

Clair

Comment

Working...
            X