Leo Maguire MD @ Mayo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leo Maguire MD @ Mayo

All these years I have, honestly, heard little to nothing good and plenty of negative comments from people who have gone to Mayo for dry eye. The consistency has in fact been striking.f

Last week I spoke with someone who has had a really great experience with Dr. Leo Maguire. I've never met him, never spoken with him, so I can't actually recommend him in that sense but I'm thinking this might be a helpful lead for someone who lives near Mayo in MN and doesn't know where to start finding a good cornea MD. From the patient's report he was clearly dry eye savvy and actually talked with the patient about sclerals (and we know how few MDs do that with dry eye).

If any of you have been to Dr. Maguire and received any substantive help I'd sure appreciate your input here.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

I had my lasik surgery done at Mayo in Rochester MN. I went Dr. Maguire and to be honest I have had a terrible time. My eyes are very dry even after a year out from surgery. Dr. Maguire has put plugs in my eyes and has given me doxy but he won't do anything else. I don't know if there is anything left to do but I feel he has given up on me as a patient and now I am just a bother to him. In the many post-op visits I have had throughout the year, he has probably spent 15 minutes total talking directly to me. It's like he jsut doesn't have time to deal with my dry eyes anymore. I am moving on to a new doctor who hopefully has more time to spend on me than Dr. Maguire did.

Comment

I too was hoping for answers and better care when I went to Mayo and Dr. Maguire, but I came away with mixed feelings. I didn't seek him out specifically but I found out more about him by accident after I made the appointment, when I saw his name being used by one of the anti-lasik websites. He made some quotes in the 1990's about the dangers of lasik. He seems to perform it now. I wonder why he changed his mind. Anyway most of the appointment was handled by an intern. He came in, looked at my eyes and told me I had floppy eyelid syndrome. He made it seem like a slam dunk diagnosis, at least that was my perception. I asked him why the condition didn't bother me before Lasik and his exact words were that my FES was the "straw that broke the camels back." They didn't do many tests but I didn't care at the time because I thought I finally found the magic bullet. I drove out there 2 weeks later and to my great dissapointment, the eyelid surgeon looked at me and was doubtful that I would benefit from any surgury. I later asked my primary eye doctor and he also doubted it was a factor. I have no idea who is right or wrong. The surgery does I guess represent an option if everything else fails, but it was just another rollercoaster of high hope followed by devastation, that I'm sure everyone here has been through too. Has anyone else here have any success with eyelid surgury? Is there anyone at Mayo you like?

Comment

Working...
      X