Need a doc in Richmond or central Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a doc in Richmond or central Virginia

Hi. New here. Does anyone know of an opthalmologist in central VA who is unlikely to laugh off dry eye pain or will try advice other than lubricating drops and Restasis?

I have a new doc and he's very nice, but doesn't get why dry eye (with lots of pain, mucus threads, filaments and blurred vision) is any problem and isn't willing to explore/learn.

I'd appreciate any suggestions of a good doc. Would especially love to find one who is very knowledgeable of Sjogren's, but I know that may be asking too much. I'm not diagnosed with Sjogren's (yet) but I suspect it and it's in my family.

Thanks,
    Mary

Hi Mary,

When my regular ophthalmologist didn't help much with my dry eye issue, I made my own appointment with Dr. Polly Perguson at the Virginia Eye Institute in Richmond. (This was quite a few years ago.) She was very helpful with my dry eye issues. I don't know about Sjogren's, but she was very familiar with Graves' Eye Disease. I don't have that, but I do have Graves' so I wanted to make sure everything was okay there. She also put in two lower punctal plugs, which helped for many years. I still have them in, but am experiencing problems again. Probably my own fault, though, at not cleaning my lids and being on the computer WAY too much. I would have continued with her for regular checkups but at that time she didn't take patients for regular eye visits. My reg ophthalmologist is okay (should be, considering the position he has at MCV), but sometimes he's doesn't seem to want to hear my thoughts and suggestions. Wish you the best.
    Dry Eye / MGD / Blepharitis / Dry spots
    Astigmitism / Amblyopia / Presbyopia
    Graves' Disease (no GED at this time; hopefully never)
    Two punctal plugs

Comment

Thanks Pam. I used to see a doctor there, but over the years (16) he changed and I couldn't even discuss my eye problems with him anymore. Later found out he'd become 90% surgeon and not interested in other cases anymore. I'll hang on to Dr. Perguson's name in case my new guy doesn't work out. Since my post I've learned that if I research on my own and ask him to consider a specific treatment (which I mostly learn of here), he is good about looking up info and then following through with discussing/prescribing. So it may work out.

Comment

Working...
      X