No announcement yet.

UK Opthalomologists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, constant inflammation of the eye (and surrounding area). The symptoms of burning/stinging are consistant.

Trying to find out WHO does this kind of surgery in the UK is really difficult though, several enquiries (e.g. Moorfileds) don't seem to want to tell you anything unless you make an appointment through your GP, and on past experiance this takes 3 months. I have got one or two names of people who have done the surgery on a reasearch/clinical trial basis, but thats all. Apparently conjunctivochalasis has only recently been characterised in the UK, which would explain why so many doctors I have seen here didn't pick it up.

I found an interesting article by Dr Tseng on the subject of dry eyes in general, on http://www.oftalmo.com/seo/1999/01ene99/05ingles.htm.

Comment

According to the Director and Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at Queen Victoria Hospital, this type of surgery has been done on a regular basis in the UK and having been using amniotic membrane since 1995! Until now I thought this was a relatively new thing. Strange though that I cannot find much info about it here in the UK.

Comment

Article was interesting. You never seem to be able to find out much and people are often very cagey when you try. They dont want you to know too much!

Comment

Apparently the following doctors in the UK have experiance in this type of surgery: J Luck (Bath), J Dart (London), P Dua (Nottingham), S Daya (London). In fact there are doctors all over Europe (AMT) http://www.sjsupport.org/htmldata/physician.html. The Amniotic Menbrane itself is provided by United Kingdom Transplant.

http://www.personalmd.com/news/a1999041315.shtml
          Last edited by np1981; 08-Jun-2006, 04:34.

Comment

Just a note - Sheraz Daya is an excellent surgeon. He's at the Centre for Sight in East Grinstead.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

It was Sheraz Daya that I contacted at Queen Victoria Hospital. I've manages to speak to a couple of others too.
              Last edited by np1981; 08-Jun-2006, 10:32.

Comment

Matheson

I haven't been to these optometrists (too far from me) but they seem to have a lot of info on their site relating to dry eye. There is nothing really new on there, but I have been to many opthalmologists in the UK who don't ever mention stuff like this (either they don't know or don't think its relevant).

http://www.matheson-optometrists.com...ces/dryeye.htm

I'm wondering if anyone from the UK has seen these guys?

Comment

I've not been there but I spoke with them a couple of years ago when I was still living in England and I knew several patients who had been to them. They really make a specialty of dry eye, and for example were the first to import TheraTears from the US. My overall impression is that for someone who's going to listen carefully and take dry eye seriously (strange but that's a novelty isn't it?) they're worth a visit.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Hiya - I made an appointment with Andrew Matheson a while ago but was unable to go in the end. I have spoken to him on the phone and he does seem to care about making you feel better, he is very experienced putting plugs in etc if you want to go for that reason, but as they are only optometrists they cant really do anything else for you, but he does have ophthalmologists that work with him so he could refer I suppose - not sure.

Comment

Hey there,
                      i‘ve also been suffering from conjunctivochalasis for years and I’m finally trying to find a good UK doctor to help fix the problem. I’m thinking of seeing Sheraz Daya, any recommendations would be really appreciated. I’ve contacted Dr Daya and he recommended a conjunctivochalasis surgery with an amniotic membrane transplant. Am I on the right track or should I ask someone else for help ?

Comment

Hi
                        amniotic membrane transplant is what I have read too.

American Dr. John Hovanesian seems pretty famous on this issue. Maybe you could find some of his (new) articles/video?

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Comment

Working...
                        X