Vitrectomy with severe dry eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitrectomy with severe dry eye?

Has anyone here with clinically severe dry eye had vitrectomy? I just want to know if it's possible before spending my money on seeing someone who might be willing to perform this procedure (electively) on someone who has severe dry eye. I would have to travel some distance to find someone who was willing to even consider this procedure for someone like me so I don't want to waste my money if it's not even possible.

I have very severe floaters that cover my entire visual field, thousands and thousands of floaters, and interfere a great deal in my ability to concentrate, drive, work on a computer, or even do simple everyday tasks. It's made worse by my dry eye because it makes it impossible to not think about my eyes even when they aren't that painful.

But I am concerned that a vitrectomy to remove these floaters might a) make my dry eye worse or b) might be too dangerous to perform on someone with keratitis, corneal erosions, and clinically severe dry eye that can't be brought under control before surgery because my eyes barely respond to any treatment.

I am aware of the risks of vitrectomy for the average person. So please don't tell me about that... I want to know about the problems associated with someone with severe dry eye. Also, please be aware... floaters are like dry eye. Eye docs don't want to know about it... and although very common, most people have only a mild case. Just like people with mild dry eye have no understanding how people with severe dry eye suffer, people with mild floaters have no idea what it's like to suffer from a massive cloud of garbage covering their entire field of vision. So please don't judge the fact that I want to try a risky procedure like vitrectomy. Thank you!
    Last edited by poppy; 04-Aug-2012, 03:55.

Poppy,
    The issue with retina surgery is the incisions are all in the conjunctiva which is responsible for goblet cell proliferation which impacts mucin creation. Mucin is what holds water on the ocular surface. The good news is that vitrectomy has come a long way in recent years. The procedure can be done with 25 or 27 gauge procedures very quickly. These are typically sutureless procedures and last less than 30 minutes. No corneal nerves will be severed so the neural loop should not be affected. I would try to find an artificial tear that contains high molecular weight long chain HA before the procedure. The HA molecule is very similar to the mucin molecule. It will bind to the epithelial cells and hold water on the eye. It also promotes healing of the wounds and recreation of goblet cells.

Comment

Just like you

I don't get on here very often as my eyes are so dry but I have the exact same problems. I have severe dry eye with huge floaters. I agree totally that it consumes you - it's bad enough that the eyes are so painful and throw in the huge floaters, it makes it impossible to live a normal life. I got Lasik thinking it would give me clear vision but nothing could be further from the truth. My eyesight was much better with glasses and they weren't dry. Wish I could turn back the clock. Please keep everyone informed as to how you make out. Hope the best for you but just know you are not alone.
      Originally posted by poppy View Post
      Has anyone here with clinically severe dry eye had vitrectomy? I just want to know if it's possible before spending my money on seeing someone who might be willing to perform this procedure (electively) on someone who has severe dry eye. I would have to travel some distance to find someone who was willing to even consider this procedure for someone like me so I don't want to waste my money if it's not even possible.

I have very severe floaters that cover my entire visual field, thousands and thousands of floaters, and interfere a great deal in my ability to concentrate, drive, work on a computer, or even do simple everyday tasks. It's made worse by my dry eye because it makes it impossible to not think about my eyes even when they aren't that painful.

But I am concerned that a vitrectomy to remove these floaters might a) make my dry eye worse or b) might be too dangerous to perform on someone with keratitis, corneal erosions, and clinically severe dry eye that can't be brought under control before surgery because my eyes barely respond to any treatment.

I am aware of the risks of vitrectomy for the average person. So please don't tell me about that... I want to know about the problems associated with someone with severe dry eye. Also, please be aware... floaters are like dry eye. Eye docs don't want to know about it... and although very common, most people have only a mild case. Just like people with mild dry eye have no understanding how people with severe dry eye suffer, people with mild floaters have no idea what it's like to suffer from a massive cloud of garbage covering their entire field of vision. So please don't judge the fact that I want to try a risky procedure like vitrectomy. Thank you!

Comment

Post/vitrectomy

I had a vitrectomy because of a macular hole in my R eye. That eye has moderately severe DED. I have to use wetting drops and Muro probably 8x/day, sometimes more/less, depending on conditions. I did not have any exacerbation of problems after surgery. They used very narrow gauge needles, there were no sutures. If you have this surgery, be aware that you must remain face down in prone position for a minimum of 2 weeks, taking time out only to go to bathroom, basically. And you must still keep your head flexed forward even then, when walking, etc. You will need to have someone who can come in to help you during that time. I made up a schedule, and 3-4 people/day to help out. First nite home and possibly 2nd day you should have 24/7 care. Rental of the chair which keeps you face down will run about $120/2 weeks, or that's roughly what I remember. I found their head cushion (for sleeping) and mobile head contraption (for riding in a car to/from appts.) to be useless. But you might find them useful. I"ll be happy to talk to either one of you if that would be helpful.

Maria

Comment

Working...
        X