Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitted/custom moisture chamber glasses in Australia (and Melbourne in particular)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitted/custom moisture chamber glasses in Australia (and Melbourne in particular)

Hi,

I'm really interested in getting some moisture chamber glasses but I have yet to find any brands that fit (I've tried on TranquilEyes, Wiley X, some brands of safety glasses and other sports glasses).

I've called a lot of different optometrists without much luck, most of them haven't heard of moisture chamber glasses at all and those that have don't know much about them.

So has anyone else had a problem finding ones that fit? Are there any guides on making your own? Are there any services that will make custom ones for you?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Mike

Hi mike
    i posted a thread while back regarding moisture glasses in Sydney. not sure of Melbourne. if they don't fit a band adjustable helps. i use this but i wear it undet my hair so not sure if great look for a guy but who cares .
    for custom ones i went asking so many optometrists and found a small independent one who is currently making me one. i took a photo from another member as an example. i bought clear tablecloth plastic for them to use. i also took my sienna sunnies which don't fit but good example . perhaps u can print from website ? i pretty much begged the dispenser to make me one. and once i explained pain etc he agreed.
    all the best.
    http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

A couple of leads in Melbourne

Sorry, accidentally posted the message twice below. Anyone know how to delete this thing?
      Last edited by Peatear3; 25-Oct-2013, 03:20. Reason: Accidentally posted twice!

Comment

A lead in Melbourne

Originally posted by Mike G View Post
        Hi,

I'm really interested in getting some moisture chamber glasses but I have yet to find any brands that fit (I've tried on TranquilEyes, Wiley X, some brands of safety glasses and other sports glasses).

I've called a lot of different optometrists without much luck, most of them haven't heard of moisture chamber glasses at all and those that have don't know much about them.

So has anyone else had a problem finding ones that fit? Are there any guides on making your own? Are there any services that will make custom ones for you?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Mike
        Hi Mike,

I've also had trouble finding moisture chambers on the market that fit my face.

There are two places where I've found instructions on how to make moisture chambers:
        1. The first place is a thread on this website, where one member in Canada had her regular frames modified into moisture chambers. If you scroll down through the thread, there's one specific post (#19) where she lays out all of the instructions: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ot-in-Winnipeg
        2. I also found this site that points you to some literature on how to make moisture chambers, but requires further digging: http://www.dryeyepain.com/GG2-MiscGo...o.htm#optician

Like you, I have been trying to find spectacle makers in Melbourne that can custom-make some moisture chambers.

As luck would have it, today I found a spectacles maker at a place called 'Designed Eyes' in Rosebud (http://designedeyes.com.au/). His name is Murray, and he told me he'd once custom-made (from scratch!) a pair of wrap-around glasses for a guy who had dry eye. I think he said he'd inserted some foam to create the seal. I'm planning to see him next week to see whether he can create something for me. His contact details will be in the link.

Since this guy's done it before, he might not need the instructions at the two dot-points above, but the information could be handy if you prefer to provide an optician with an existing pair of frames and just have them modified into chambers (as per instructions at dot-point 1) rather than make the whole thing from scratch (as per previous paragraph).

P.S. I notice that there's a time gap since the original post, but maybe this can help others!

Comment

I've emailed the guy at "designedeyes" in rosebud a few months ago and he seemed confident he could design custom moisture chambers. I didn't follow it up and continue to simply wear Wiley X air rage.

Comment

Yes it is hard to find good ones. The best I have found are the wileyx Gravity and seven eye. Go to a local army navy store or police supply store they usually carry a full line of wileyx and you can try on different styles. A motorcycle shop will have cheap sealed glasses some of which fit really well. I currently carry two pares of wileyx gravity glasses one with polarized lenses and one with clear lenses. They are less goggly than the seven eye but the seven eye is higher quality and the anti-fog treatment to the seven eye is much more effective. My seven eye glasses have photo-chromatic lenses with a soft removable seal with is extremely comfortable. The wileyx seals are equally comfortable. The wiley x glasses have ballistic lenses because they are used by military in combat as well as law enforcement so they are very tough and can double as shooting and safety glasses as well. Both types will take a prescription.

Comment

Working...
            X