Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treatment for Mucin Deficiency

Hi Everyone,

It's so weird that every eye doctor will tell us that there are three layers of a tear: mucin, oil, and water. And then what do they do next? They seem to completely drop the thought of the mucin layer and only go after the other two. So here's my question: are there any treatments for the mucin layer?

As a kid, (Im only 22 now) I remember waking up with white, cloudy junk in my eyes. I used to rub it out with my finger and that was that. However, I have not had that in my eyes ever since the dry eye problem started. That's my big indication on why I think I am mucin dificent. Now I just need to find a way to treat it.

If anyone knows a treatment for mucin deficiency, please let me know! Thanks everyone and good luck.

I would Try Omega 7 !!

Comment

The mucin comes from goblet cells. These goblet cells are in the conjunctiva, the thin clear covering of the white (sclera) part of the eye. They are adversely affected by the increase in osmolarity of the tear film. Studies have shown that HA drops increase the number and health of goblet cells. What is not known is the method of action. In other words does the HA reduce the osmoloarity and give the goblet cells a healthy environment to thrive or does the HA itself create a thriving environment. My experience tells me it some of both with the greater being the lowering of the osmolarity of the tear film.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1771021/

Comment

indrep, Do you know a specific name of any of these eye drops that are available in the United States?

Dog, Why do you recommend omega 7 for mucin production purposes?

Comment

Nate,
          There are only two available in the US; Oasis TEARS and Blink. Of the two Oasis has the highest molecular weight and longer molecule. Also Oasis comes in preservative free and i am not sure if Blink is available in preservative free.

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
            Nate,
            There are only two available in the US; Oasis TEARS and Blink. Of the two Oasis has the highest molecular weight and longer molecule. Also Oasis comes in preservative free and i am not sure if Blink is available in preservative free.
            Blink tears comes in an unpreserved drop:
            http://www.amo-inc.com/products/corn...%20Eye%20Drops

If you can tolerate the Polyethylene Glycol in the Blink tear it is a better deal than Oasis. My eyes don't like the Polyethylene drops though. The gel and blink contact drop are preserved. Blink uses OcuPure as a preservative which I have no problem with in the Blink tears. Other drops by other manufacturers that use the preservative seem to bother me more but not blink for some reason. I like the contact drop even when I am not wearing my scleral. The Blink Contacts has .15% HA which I believe is higher than Oasis.

Comment

The Oasis product comes in two different concentrations a .15 and .30 HA and its HA is of a much higher molecular weight and is a long chain version vs a short chain low molecular weight.

Comment

Big Nate, I don't like to use drops much since for whatever reason my eyes start feeling like a gooey mess by the end of the day, but Oasis is THE only drop that doesn't burn me. My eyes are super sensitive and burned with almost every single non-preserved drop on the market, including many of the brands members of this forum swear by. Just thought I would add that in case your experience is similar to mine. Good luck with whatever brand you try.

Comment

Working...
                X