Dr Gemoules Coppell/Dallas TX, worth the trip for scleral contact lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Gemoules Coppell/Dallas TX, worth the trip for scleral contact lens

I went to Dallas to get a scleral contact lens made in March 2014. Dr. G makes custom lenses from scratch using digital imaging and modeling of your eye. The process is trademarked, so it's not offered anywhere else (yet anyways). Getting an appointment was easy and I could get in right away. The entire experience was laid back, and I never felt any rushing in and out. I was at ease the whole time, and the process is quick and easy. They do take medical and vision insurance, and are very helpful at calling for pre-approval and information. There was a big discount on area lodging and transportation (I flew there). Oh, and the lens is awesome! I see better than I did with glasses! I highly recommend. More info about my experience below.

Copied from their website:
    Dr. Gemoules
    Coppell Family Eyecare
    Greg Gemoules, O.D. & Associates
    712 S. Denton Tap Road
    Coppell, TX 75019
    972-462-7311
    Hours M-F 8:30-6:30 PM, Saturday by appointment
    Main office: http://www.leukoma.com/ReachUs.htm
    Scleral Lens Fitting: http://laserfitlens.com/

Forum post here about my experience: http://tinyurl.com/scleraldrg
    Video of me inserting my lens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxs3cu3Ws0Y
    Close-Up pictures of my lens: http://l8rgator.weebly.com/

I'm considering visiting him this summer. I currently use Jupiters and they're not too comfortable, though they get rid of the pain of dryness.

When you wear your lenses from Dr. G, do you notice the whites of your eye getting red? Do you feel the lenses in your eyes? How is the comfort level?
    Thanks!

Comment

I don't get any redness. You can take a look at http://l8rgator.weebly.com/ - at the bottom of the page are pictures I tried to take at 1 am that day so someone could see what the lens looked like in my eye. I had put the lens in at around 9am. The video was about the same, although there aren't really any close-ups in the video.

I usually don't feel the lens unless it gets dry. So, for example, when it was 10 degrees outside and I was out walking dogs all day and only put drops in every hour or two, I could feel it. the feeling was that it wasn't sliding under my lid and was catching on it. It wasn't painful, just sticky as I blinked if that makes sense. I really haven't had that problem since it turned to summer, although I've gotten in a better habit of being consistent about putting drops on over it or wearing motorcycle glasses. Before I would forget for a few hours here and there. Sometimes I can feel the edge of lens if I look really far to my upper left.

I could definitely feel the Jupiter when I tried it, and Dr. G's first lens my first day. It felt like something was scratching the inside of my eyelid when I blinked. I would have put up with it had that been the only option. But it was really annoying. REALLY annoying. I never had any pinching or squeezing pain though.

My original scleral lens was made with no prescription, upon my request. I since decided wearing glasses with astigmatism correction under my motorcycle helmet wasn't going to work because they moved around too much. So I had Dr. Gemoules make me a new lens with my prescription, and I've had that for a while now. Last week I got a regular contact from walmart for my other eye. I tried every one he had and picked out the least uncomfortable. I have to say I was not prepared for the experience. I thought "I have no problems with a scleral lens. this should be a piece of cake!" It's not. The thing is hard to get in, and even harder to get out. My eye feels somewhat abused afterwards. It feels so brittle, and I've read many people say theirs tear before the 30 day expiration date, so I'm a little afraid to touch it too hard. When I wear the lens it feels scratchy on my eyelid all the time - just like the Jupiter and my first milled LaserFit lens did although not as bad. And I can feel annoying edges when I look up or right. After I wear it for a few hours, it stops annoying me, but I can always feel it. And numerous times a day it sticks to my lids or moves around. My vision with the scleral in one and the contact in the other is 20-10, so that is AWESOME. And once I get acclimated I should be able to wear the contact 24-7 (whereas the scleral has to come out every night), so that will be a huge plus. But honestly I wish I had gotten a prescription scleral for the other eye (which has no dry eye problems). And am hoping to possibly do that on the way back from our next vacation this winter. It's just more comfortable, and easier, IMHO. But way more pricey.

Comment

Hosanna13,

The fit of my lenses is superb. I feel them a little bit for a few minutes after I put them in and then can't notice them after that. I think the first lens Dr G gave me probably had a similar fit to your Jupiter lenses. They were not comfortable and I could always feel them in, however they did provide me relief from the dryness. Dr. G scanned my eyes with those lenses in and was able to point out to me on some images why the lens was uncomfortable. From there he was able to ever so slightly tweak the lens design. I was astonished at the improvement in comfort I got from the slight changes over the next few days.

Because of my lack of tears, I have a small amount of redness that develops through out the day in the corners of my eye that are not protected by the lens. It's actually a bit easier to see the edge of the lens late in the day because the redness ceases at the lens edge and my sclera beneath the lens is perfectly white. The redness has not reached a level that makes me self-conscious. I think this is probably because the redness is not that severe, and the area directly surrounding my cornea stays white because of the protection from the lens. I do get redness when I take the lenses out, but it's usually right before I go to bed so it doesn't bother me.

This picture is my eye with the lens in after a full day of work on the computer.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	eye.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	155780

Comment

Originally posted by dryindenver View Post
          hosanna13,
          this picture is my eye with the lens in after a full day of work on the computer.
          [ATTACH]584[/ATTACH]
          looking good!!

Comment

I'm off to Dr. G's in August! I hope I have as good a result with my new lenses as all of you.

Comment

That's great miki! Please document your experiences for those of us still considering options in this area. Good luck, will look forward to your posts.

Comment

Good luck Miki! I really hope it goes well for you. If you like BBQ, I recommend you check out Hard Eight. It was pretty good and the have a unique set up that I found interesting. Plus, it's between the hotel and Dr. Gs office so it's easy to get to.

Comment

All the best Miki! Please update your progress If I have a chance next time, I will consider flying down too.

Comment

Thanks, all. Thanks for the restaurant recommendation, DryInDenver. I love BBQ!

Comment

Working...
                    X