Why noone cares about dry eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why noone cares about dry eye

What I'd like to see are posters, documentaries, interviews with celebrities with dry eye. Ok unlikely to happen. I think what's needed is an understanding of what catches peoples attention about a disease/disorder, what makes a person think "yikes, wouldn't want that to happen to me", any psychologists with dry eye have any theories (personally I think it's because people tend to judge things on visual qualities, and dry eye has "none")? We need to figure out what pushes peoples buttons to pay attention and take it seriously.
    prevention is better than cure, but not for eyes?

First thing we have to do is change the name. Dry Eyes does not convey the disabling symptoms of this chronic disease that steals your quality of life.

Comment

/////////////
      Last edited by hankm9; 06-Nov-2016, 23:49.

Comment

I say dry eye disease, no one would understand if I said keratoconjunctivitis sicca, plus it's hard to say!

Comment

A documentary would be awesome. I LOVE this idea Do we have a filmmaker as part of the dry eye talk forum???!!! Although my dry eye was not a result of LASIK, I think we could get some funding from those who are trying to raise awareness about the negative effects as a result of LASIK that aren't always disclosed (from what I have read on here and seen on You Tube). However, many of us have dry eyes for other reasons. So, it would be great to capture those. I do think a lot of research is being done on treatment for dry eye symptoms and relief from the pain, etc (although nothing perfect is out yet) And I do think that some research is being done around the corneal nerve and trigeminal nerve damage causes and theories...but not much on treatment in this area yet as it relates to dry eyes. I have chronic migraines and dry eyes and have a post on here (that noone has yet responded to) that links to some studies on this theory. I could go on and on. in sum, yes, DOCUMENTARY!

Comment

Tigress Productions are looking for documentary participants now (UK, I guess) and asked me to post this on social media. I was thinking we may not fit the bill but here it is anyway:

'Do you have a mystery illness or medical condition that’s proving impossible to diagnose? Have you tried a long series of medical treatments and finally been cured? Tigress Productions would like to speak to people with medical mystery experiences for a new TV documentary series. Please call 0117 933 5654 or 0117 933 5609, or email medical@tigressproductions.co.uk for more information.'

I have more details from them if anyone is interested - PM me.
            Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

On pharmaceutical publicity for developing treatments, how amazing is this film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmv2LKNeEoI (1:26) - 'The Rarest Ones' for Dompe, by Saatchi & Saatchi http://saatchi.com/en-uk/news/the-rarest-ones/ #ICareAboutRare. Here is more information about their possible neurotrophic eye surface drug http://www.dompe.com/Oftalmologia/ . Justbob, thank you for finding this for us.
              Last edited by littlemermaid; 11-Oct-2015, 14:41.
              Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I'd say if it's done, more who are suffering might get a chance at better help and treatment and it'll help bring in money I guess? And also others who are suffering.

Comment

I read there is more or less a boom going on,this is big business to big pharma and from i read much is in the works. The population is growing older which means more dry eye.

Comment

First thing we have to do is change the name. Dry Eyes does not convey the disabling symptoms of this chronic disease that steals your quality of life.
                    This is exactly it. I feel like everyone thinks I am crazy or exaggerating. Even my family. If my eyes looked like the open sores that they feel like, then maybe they would believe me. The receptionist at one of the doctors I tried said she had dry eyes too. She was wearing contacts. It told the doctor that if she had dry eyes she wouldn't be wearing contacts. It really made me angry that she put herself on my level.

Comment

Izzyb,
                      It is so frustrating to feel so bad eye wise, and someone replies " they don't look like they hurt." My sister-in-law said they look refreshed and white. I wanted to cry. How can they understand?
                      They can't unless they have it. There are dry eyes, and then there are DRY eyes. I am trying to learn how to live with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X