Committed O.D. in Baltimore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Committed O.D. in Baltimore

I have just met with Dr. Bruce Hyatt, an optometrist in Baltimore City who has been in practice many years, and who has a genuine and probing interest in treating dry eye patients. I was treated by Dr. Hyatt some years ago, long before I joined DEZ and learned about Dr. Holly's drops, and my experience with Dr. Hyatt was excellent. More than any other optometrist, or ophthalmologist, in my region, Dr. Hyatt was motivated to work with me to try a wide range of solutions. Today, Dr. Hyatt is not involved in dry eye research, per se, but he is a keen observer of his dry eye patient population, and he is as motivated as ever to get good results. He also has a wonderful proclivity to question conventional wisdom, which can be a terrific quality in a doctor.

Dr. Hyatt no longer provides punctal plugging, as he has been unhappy with the results he's generally gotten with plugs. He also does not make or fit scleral lenses. Dr. Hyatt is, however, a careful diagnostician with a strong interest in eliminating low-grade meibomian infection and inflammation through limited-term use of antibiotics. He is also currently studying, with real dedication, the writings of Dr. Holly on high-oncotic eyedrops for the treatment of tear film instability and corneal erosions. Dr. Hyatt has even asked me to find out whether he can begin to stock and dispense Dwelle.

Patients will find, in Bruce Hyatt, someone who listens carefully and really cares. I recommend him without reservation.
    <Doggedly Determined>

I had a good chat with Dr. Hyatt this afternoon. This is the type I love to come across - what I think of as the 'hidden gems'.

To me, a hidden gem... be s/he optometrist or ophthalmologist... is not one of those advertising himself as the dry eye go-to person of the region, or thinking of himself that way either. It's simply a good old-school doctor who (a) listens to the patient, (b) examines the patient, (c) considers what to prescribe, and (d) repeats steps (a) and (b) as needed over time to find out whether his treatment is actually WORKING. Sounds so simple but these days many doctors are so susceptible to the commerical influences dominating their profession in various ways that they lose their ability to objectively observe results.... or lack thereof.

In "dry eye speak", the antonym of a gem is the hordes for whom the market-dominant recipe (Restasis, Lotemax, and Refresh Plus or Systane or Optive, give or take some plugs) is a foregone conclusion before you even walk in their office.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

excited!

So excited, Rebecca, that you found Dr. Hyatt to be among the gems. . .He is exactly as you describe! For those who opt to see him in Baltimore, he is quite interested in bringing select ophthalmologists in to a case, as needed, and he has carefully cultivated one or two in Baltimore whom he finds to be motivated in the DES area. . .So the whole package of seeing him can be quite productive at many levels. . .In the event I end up seeing any of the M.D.s in question, I will explore their interested in being plugged, too. . .
      <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Working...
      X