Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye Doc in KC?

Hi,

Anyone have any suggestions for a good opthomologist who also knows alot about Dry Eye in the Kansas City area?

Hi - I live in southwest MO and go to KC to Dr. John Sutphin at the KU Dept of Ophthalmology just off State Line Road. He is the head of the dept - a very conservative doctor who is not an expert in dry eye like Dr. Latkany but has definitely helped me from where I was 6 months ago - mainly by getting me on doxy. He is straightforward, tells you when he doesn't know any more about a treatment or what he does know. He has experienced corneal tears himself, so he understands too from the other side of the fence. I have a feeling I will reach a point where I have exhausted his knowledge but I appreciate what he has done for me so far. .....as I said, very conservative so he doesn't go for every new treatment that comes along just because it is something else to try - but after a very bad experience with another doc trying serum (and having a horrible reaction to the preserved drops in which it was delivered), I'm satisfied for now with conservative!

Best wishes, Bunny

Comment

Need Dr. in Kansas City area

Thanks Bunny--

What is doxy?

Comment

That's doxycycline -- a tetracycline family antibiotic....it literally has saved my life. I had a mishap last September with a bad reaction to preservatives when one eye doc tried to give me the autolgus serum (in Refresh Tears as the medium - that was the problem). For almost two weeks I couldn't even open my eyes, finally another doctor - Dr. Sutphin, put me on doxy - 200MG a day. I am still on it and back to where I was at least before last Sept. It has greatly reduced the pain I had in my eyes and I think has improved the dryness some but the main benefit for me was the reduction in pain - I couldn't even touch a wash cloth to the area around my eyes without it hurting.

It has one caveat - it can't be taken with certain minerals - like calcium, so you have to give it about an hour after you take it before you eat or a couple hours after to take it. There was one study that had a cancer link but my eye doc indicates that study did not rule out other factors well enough and he feels the benefits of taking it are worth it. Not sure how long he will keep me on it. Probably will reduce the amount when I don't see any further improvements - it is slow but I am still feeling better so not ready to stop it yet. It can upset your stomach a bit but I'm lucky that I tolerate it very well.

Comment

KC Doctor

Bunny,

I've just switched to Dr. Carl Migliazzo at the KC Eye Clinic in Overland Park.

Although he doesn't have a dry eye practice, he helped me alot by plugging, and advising me to use gels and not drops as much. Also, got me on Erythromycin eye cream which may help eventually, but in any event makes my eyes feel better at night.

Anyway, he's also a surgeon which I think helps him better understand the eye.

So far so good!

Comment

Working...
          X